Hack Budget + Sustainable Reef - 2feet / 100L

deityhack

Been reefing since years back and got back recently. This time round, I am still trying for the "best" setup for a budget yet sustainable reef.

This is basically a L2xW1.5xH1 bare tank which is around 100litre which is easier to dose supplements and water change.

This reef is setup for sofies, LPS and a varieties of fish and invertebrates to complete the cycle. Tank was started in Feb 2017 and it is now 1.5 years old.

Equipment list so far (Jul 2018)

1) Eheim Canister filter (Classic 250) with marine pure sphere - 8w / 24hrs

2) Tunze Nanostream 6020 - 4w / 12hrs timer

3) Seachem Tidal 110 - 10w / 24hrs

4) Sunon fan - 0.14a (~32w) / 24hrs

5) Sanrise Led - Max at 120w (average per day 60w for 6hr)

6) Redsea topup container

In term of budget, it means 1)low setup cost (<$500) & 2) low running cost (<$15 electrical bill per month)

For sustainability, the planning was to make use of partial sunlight from the windows for photosynthesis, therefore algae is expected.

All fishes / invertebrates are chosen for their functions mainly and beauty secondary.

Fishes are 1) blue eye kole tang, 2) algae blenny (thus the cover) & 3) mandarin dragonette

Invertebrates are 1) 4 x snails, 2) 3 x hermit crabs, 3) 1 x sea hare, 4) 1 x tuxedo urchin, 5) 1 x sea cucumber & 6) 1 x cleaner shrimp

Corals consists of 1) hammer, 2) frogspawn,  3) zoas, 4) mushroom, 5) yuma, 6) gorgonia, 7)leather, 8) xenia, 9) GSP, 10) Purple Efflatounaria

Tank temperature range from 26~31 degC depending on weather, cooled by the fan and evaporation is topped up using kalk water by the drip system.

Supplements by AF ABEV , NP Pro & Pro Bios S

Water change using AF salt, maybe 10% per 1~2 months.

On & off, there will be some corals death, most likely due to the extreme heat. The remaining corals are with me for >6 months and zoas / softies are taking off.

Xenia is a real PITA, thanks to Bro Thomas_lim as he given me my 1st coral frag.

IMG_7489.JPG

IMG_7963.JPG

IMG_8343.JPG

IMG_8330.JPG

IMG_8359.JPG

IMG_8347.JPG

IMG_8341.JPG

IMG_8338.JPG

IMG_8335.JPG

IMG_8351.JPG

• SRC Member

Nice bro, I'm looking to set up a low consumption system too. Does your fan make a lot of noise? Also, will topping up with freshwater be okay or is kalk water necessary? Thanks, and looking forward to more updates:)

• Like 1

Fan does make some noise, especially more when it is clogged with salt spray and dust.

Topping up with kalk + freshwater is 1 of the best way to replenish calcium into the water for coral growth.

My objective of a reef tank should be enjoyable with plenty of coral growth / splitting, easy on my pocket and doesn't take too much time in husbandry.