How to turn brown rocks white

• SRC Member

Hi guys, I have rocks that came with the tank that I bought. Problem is they are brown. How can I turn them white? I have placed them in bleach for a few hours, and then rinsed off. The brown colour is most likely not caused by diatoms as I have rinsed the rocks along with them having not a lot of light. Additionally, I doubt the rocks were live when I got them, and this was about two or three weeks ago already. Thank you:)

• SRC Member
52 minutes ago, PaulPaul01 said:

Hi guys, I have rocks that came with the tank that I bought. Problem is they are brown. How can I turn them white? I have placed them in bleach for a few hours, and then rinsed off. The brown colour is most likely not caused by diatoms as I have rinsed the rocks along with them having not a lot of light. Additionally, I doubt the rocks were live when I got them, and this was about two or three weeks ago already. Thank you:)

Sorry but I’m abit confused. If you want to kill any hitchhikers or pest you may consider using bleach. If your are already using them, eventually algae will grow on them. They won’t be white very very soon. 

Maybe you may want to post a pic and let the experts here advice?

1 minute ago, PaulPaul01 said:

Will powdered bleach work the same? Also, won't too long exposure cause bleach to leach? Thanks:)

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

yeah even 1 hour exposure the bleach will sink it... you later need to rinse the rocks and then treat it with anti chlorine couple of times just to be sure. i usually soak the rocks overnight  in treated tap water after bleaching it 

• SRC Member
8 hours ago, harvin6 said:

yeah even 1 hour exposure the bleach will sink it... you later need to rinse the rocks and then treat it with anti chlorine couple of times just to be sure. i usually soak the rocks overnight  in treated tap water after bleaching it 

Okay bro, I will try. Thanks a lot:)

• SRC Member
Sorry to ask..what kind of bleach to use ?

I personally used Kao Colour Bleach (Powdered), which didn't work, a few days ago. Today I used Leo Bleach, which also showed not much of a result. Soaked in the Kao bleach for about six hours, and in the Leo bleach about three.

• SRC Member

Hey guys, what ended up working was sun bleaching, rocks are turning white after around two days:) As can be seen in the photo, the rocks with better exposure to sunlight at the surface are brighter. I do suggest using a bleach bath beforehand in case it helped. Thanks for the suggestions:)20180807_083052.jpg