Questions on setting up

Hi everyone,

New to marine tanks but I've some experience with freshwater.

Fron my research, it seems like it is recommended to have a bigger tank around 100g and there should be a sump. How did you guys setup your tanks with all the plumbing involved. Did you DIY or got it pre-built? What are the costs I should expect to get someone to build it?

I don't use sumps with my freshwater tanks so I'm not familiar with plumbing works.

Also, is it ok for a 100g tank to be placed in a HDB apartment? Can the floor take the weight of the cabinet, the rocks, sand, and water?

Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Hi everyone,

Fron my research, it seems like it is recommended to have a bigger tank around 100g and there should be a sump. How did you guys setup your tanks with all the plumbing involved. Did you DIY or got it pre-built? What are the costs I should expect to get someone to build it?

I don't use sumps with my freshwater tanks so I'm not familiar with plumbing works.

Also, is it ok for a 100g tank to be placed in a HDB apartment? Can the floor take the weight of the cabinet, the rocks, sand, and water?

Thanks.

Hi bro, I can't really help you much with the rest, but as far as I know, as long as you keep the tank near a weight bearing region in ur HDB, there should not be an issue. However to be safe, it is recommended for you to write up a permission to HDB regarding a large tank size. As a sort of reassurance, I have a neighbour who has over hundreds of gallons of water with his display and sump volume, and he has not had any issues for the many years he has kept it. Also, if you are looking to find someone to do your plumbing for you, I believe the price wpuld be around a hubdred to two hundred. Good luck bro, welcome to SRC haha

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, verk47 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks.

Yo bro, welcome to the world of reefing

For the tank size basically don't have recommended size, ultimately is about what do you want to achieve in the long run... you can have those Nuvo tank which is 10/20g to those custom build 200/300g tank, the different is that small tank is easier to maintain and cheaper compare to bigger tank but bigger tank give you more flexibility and scalability and most important when mistake happen it will be more forgiving than small tank... I believe those recommended bigger tank is due to future upgrade of tank due to the grow in interest.

If you are going for small tank, get the Nuvo series will be good enough. For big tank with sump, i will advise you to check out those tank builders and tell them your expectation and get the quotation that meet your budget... the piping and sump design required good knowledge to ensure the overall system work well, if you are not experience in this area then better let the expert do the job... don't need to rush in to make decision...

Yes, HDB side should not have any issue on the big tank... we got many bros here that have more than 1 tank in their house...

:D

you can also check out some youtube channel like bulkreefsupply, fishofhex which provide a lot of information...

This is just my 2 cent hope it help you...

• SRC Member

Welcome to reefing..

Firstly fw is totally different from sw tank. Second like said, no recomended size, but get the biggest you could afford and importantly maintain, consider the equipment, chiller l,lighting, water change, salt. Of course bigger tank more fish and coral variety. What you want to look at is types resident, is it FOWLR or mixed reef .

Back to plumbing works, if you have any idea, you may design or copy from other reefers online when you build ur own. Most are kind enough to share their piping. Else you can engage tank maker to help you on it. Alot of design to consider

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

After more than a year, I still haven't set up my reef tank. Got busy and also the saltwater stuff got a bit too intimidating.

Now I'm revisiting the topic because I think I'm ready to move on from freshwater. I have some questions.

I currently have a 60x30x36 (6mm thickness) planted freshwater tank with a canister filter. I'm looking to use the same tank together with a small sump (maybe 45cm?). I'll need to find someone to help me drill drainage holes. Is it better instead to start with a whole new tank instead? If so, then I'd go for a 60x30x36 but 8mm thickness tank. I need it to be the same dimensions because I want to use my existing cabinet.

As for plumbing, should I be looking to do a herbie or bean animal drainage? Or is it too complex and require too much space for a 2ft tank? I'm actually leaning towards doing a bean animal drainage (since is most quiet and safe).

And how should I design the sump? From what I've read, I think I'll be using a skimmer, an auto top off, and ideally a refugium. Is it possible to put all these in a 45cm sump?

Thanks!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

For marine, recommend 10 mm and above. Source for some good second hand tanks and second hand items. 

• Like 1

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
Hi everyone, After more than a year, I still haven't set up my reef tank. Got busy and also the saltwater stuff got a bit too intimidating.

Now I'm revisiting the topic because I think I'm ready to move on from freshwater. I have some questions.

I currently have a 60x30x36 (6mm thickness) planted freshwater tank with a canister filter. I'm looking to use the same tank together with a small sump (maybe 45cm?). I'll need to find someone to help me drill drainage holes. Is it better instead to start with a whole new tank instead? If so, then I'd go for a 60x30x36 but 8mm thickness tank. I need it to be the same dimensions because I want to use my existing cabinet.

As for plumbing, should I be looking to do a herbie or bean animal drainage? Or is it too complex and require too much space for a 2ft tank? I'm actually leaning towards doing a bean animal drainage (since is most quiet and safe).

And how should I design the sump? From what I've read, I think I'll be using a skimmer, an auto top off, and ideally a refugium. Is it possible to put all these in a 45cm sump?

Thanks!

Unless you’re experienced with DIY or know someone who is, I think it’s better to get a new system that’s already ready-made with both display and sump included, especially if you’re just starting out(for peace of mind) 

As for plumbing I believe either is fine, as Long as it doesn’t generate too much noise or take up too much space in your display.

As for the sump, you’ll definitely want a chamber that can fit the skimmer of your choice, with a suitable water level for said section. That’s perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind when designing a sump. As for a refugium.. I doubt there’s enough space for one that would be effective. Better to plumb it to a remote refugium tank for smaller systems that don’t have much room in their sumps. Auto TOP off shouldn’t be an issue, they come in very small form factors these days.

Hope this helps, and all the best

Cheers

Unless you’re experienced with DIY or know someone who is, I think it’s better to get a new system that’s already ready-made with both display and sump included, especially if you’re just starting out(for peace of mind) As for plumbing I believe either is fine, as Long as it doesn’t generate too much noise or take up too much space in your display.

As for the sump, you’ll definitely want a chamber that can fit the skimmer of your choice, with a suitable water level for said section. That’s perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind when designing a sump. As for a refugium.. I doubt there’s enough space for one that would be effective. Better to plumb it to a remote refugium tank for smaller systems that don’t have much room in their sumps. Auto TOP off shouldn’t be an issue, they come in very small form factors these days.

Hope this helps, and all the best
Cheers

I think I'm leaning towards getting a new tank instead of re-using my current tank. Is it possible to find ready-made tanks (especially a 60x30x36cm one) with overflow and sump system at LFS? Or do I need to custom make one?

What should I aim for to be in my sump? I would like the sump to help my water parameters stay stable and reduce maintenance. I guess that means I need a skimmer and auto topoff as a minimum. How about algar turf scrubber?

• SRC Member

Check out red sea reefer 170.

Just skimmer + ATO and 10L water change every week or bi-weekly can liao.

Refugium and ATS I feel is for bigger system when water change is not so easy. Maintaining will be more work than change water.

If you lazy to change water, do carbon dosing.

Get a good skimmer can liao.

Check out red sea reefer 170.

Just skimmer + ATO and 10L water change every week or bi-weekly can liao.

Refugium and ATS I feel is for bigger system when water change is not so easy. Maintaining will be more work than change water.

If you lazy to change water, do carbon dosing.

Get a good skimmer can liao.
Whoa the red sea reefer looks good but it is out of my budget.

Yes I also read that ATS/refugium may not be necessary for smaller set ups. Probably won't be using them then.

• SRC Member

If you don't need a sump u can go for innovative marine nuvo 20.

If u have tight budget, better do your math before u commit. Saltwater will cost alot more than freshwater.

Chiller + lighting and electricity is a killer.

Set your Priority and budget. Then work towards it. It will. Be easier and be focus. For a start, maybe u can source for good 2nd hand tank to start. Till you master and know what you want, then proceed with new tank. 3ft second hand tank, some lfses will have or go carousel. Many ppl using that platform to sell items. For 4 ft and above, some are n30 made tank which is definitely quality tank and selling at very attractive price. 

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

Some LFS have ready made 3ft tank... But mostly from China and using diff silicon technology. For marine, good to have sump due to increase water volume and maintenance and dosing can be done thr the sump. Depending on what you keep, algae scrubber, ATO, etc may not be a must as they serve diff function. Like ATO, if u keeping fishes and with big volume like 3 to 4 ft, u can top up manually. For algae scrubber, you want to control nitrite or nitrate, etc. This can be done thr other means like using chemical or just keep coral and no livestock, etc. 

For marine, key equipment are filtration system which can be achieved thr sump setup, protein skimmer, wave maker, return pump, light and chiller if you want to keep more demanding corals and fishes. 

Algae Scrubbler

If you don't need a sump u can go for innovative marine nuvo 20.

If u have tight budget, better do your math before u commit. Saltwater will cost alot more than freshwater.

Chiller + lighting and electricity is a killer.
Hahaha I am prepared for the cost but 1.2k for tank, sump, and cabinet doesn't seem very value for money. I am also looking to get second hand stuff since I'm just starting out.

I think I want a sump since it'll be neater and maintenance would be easier in the long run.

Some LFS have ready made 3ft tank... But mostly from China and using diff silicon technology. For marine, good to have sump due to increase water volume and maintenance and dosing can be done thr the sump. Depending on what you keep, algae scrubber, ATO, etc may not be a must as they serve diff function. Like ATO, if u keeping fishes and with big volume like 3 to 4 ft, u can top up manually. For algae scrubber, you want to control nitrite or nitrate, etc. This can be done thr other means like using chemical or just keep coral and no livestock, etc. 
For marine, key equipment are filtration system which can be achieved thr sump setup, protein skimmer, wave maker, return pump, light and chiller if you want to keep more demanding corals and fishes. 
Yup I'm open to second hand stuff.

Should I be concerned with the type of overflow drainage system i.e. Herbie or bean animal? I read about drainage failure causing water to overflow or the drainage causing too much noise.

If I buy the main tank and sump separately, is it easy to do the plumbing or is it safer to get someone to do it?

Diy, if you are experience. Otherwise, you may not know the few fail safe design. Good to get 1 with tank and sump, so the pipes are planned for. U can chge to certain extend if you are good in diy. 

If noise is not a major issue, then a normal durso setup is still OK. No need to go for the bean animal setup for dead silence. For overflow, there are few designs to minimise the risk....dual feed, drill hole, back flow valve, filter compartment design to prevent clogging and overflow... Etc. 

Algae Scrubbler

Diy, if you are experience. Otherwise, you may not know the few fail safe design. Good to get 1 with tank and sump, so the pipes are planned for. U can chge to certain extend if you are good in diy. 
If noise is not a major issue, then a normal durso setup is still OK. No need to go for the bean animal setup for dead silence. For overflow, there are few designs to minimise the risk....dual feed, drill hole, back flow valve, filter compartment design to prevent clogging and overflow... Etc. 
Thanks! I'll read up about the fail safes.

Good to visit lfses to see and observe, or speak to them. Just dont get impulsive or overwhelmed by good sales talk. 

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
I think I'm leaning towards getting a new tank instead of re-using my current tank. Is it possible to find ready-made tanks (especially a 60x30x36cm one) with overflow and sump system at LFS? Or do I need to custom make one?

What should I aim for to be in my sump? I would like the sump to help my water parameters stay stable and reduce maintenance. I guess that means I need a skimmer and auto topoff as a minimum. How about algar turf scrubber?

I’m not too sure about the smaller systems that come together with a sump as a full set but you can try some of the lfs like freshnmarine and deaquatic.

As for what should go into your sump, definitely a skimmer, ATO system.. the 2 fundamentals. Algae turf scrubbers or macroalgae reactors are a nice option to conserve space and serve as nutrient export. If you’re planning on keeping lots of corals in there, activated carbon in a reactor would also be a beneficial addition. Personally in a smaller system I would forgo a refugium entirely and focus on small reactors that can fit in your sump.

You can consider IOS if you are not ready for sump systems. You can check out Innovative Marine Fusion series. 
I think I'd go for a sump because it seems better for maintenance and more room to put equipment. Just waiting for a good 2nd hand set to pop up!

I’m not too sure about the smaller systems that come together with a sump as a full set but you can try some of the lfs like freshnmarine and deaquatic.

As for what should go into your sump, definitely a skimmer, ATO system.. the 2 fundamentals. Algae turf scrubbers or macroalgae reactors are a nice option to conserve space and serve as nutrient export. If you’re planning on keeping lots of corals in there, activated carbon in a reactor would also be a beneficial addition. Personally in a smaller system I would forgo a refugium entirely and focus on small reactors that can fit in your sump.

After some consideration, I think I may go up to a 2ft cube tank. Would ATS/refugium be more useful for such a tank? I think it would be around 60 gallon.

• SRC Member
After some consideration, I think I may go up to a 2ft cube tank. Would ATS/refugium be more useful for such a tank? I think it would be around 60 gallon.

ATS/refugiums with macroalgae will be useful for any system, so Long as you have the space for it. If your sump isn’t that big, an ATS or macroalgae reactor would probably be more ideal. Big refugiums are most effective but to get noticeable results from them they need to be large, preferably 50% the size of your main display or more. For smaller systems with large remote refugiums, some can be so effective at nutrient export that you don’t even need a skimmer, just good lighting and macroalgae to soak in all the nitrates and phosphates.

• Like 1