The Holy Grail Conspicuous Angelfish

2 hours ago, Indeco said:

Oh Ok, I always get worries when the fish don't eat after 1 or 2 days... Haha... now I'm will focus more on their stability then on the feeding....

This LFS is famous for their sky high price, I was told by them they charge high is due to they QT the fish before selling. I went there a couple of time and everything look fine until recently visit. When I saw a few tang having ick and dead fishes lying around. Then finally I understand that is just marketing... lucky everytime I want to buy but is stop by their price else feed like kana chop carrot. Haha.. 

Been to some LFS in the east, have personally observed some dead fishes inside their tanks. They will quickly pick it out and discard. Most of the fishes on sale are extremely skinny. Some even have ick. Even if you think that you have purchased a "healthy" one, don‘t be surprised it already has ick or other disease.

• SRC Member
3 hours ago, nemonary571 said:

Been to some LFS in the east, have personally observed some dead fishes inside their tanks. They will quickly pick it out and discard. Most of the fishes on sale are extremely skinny. Some even have ick. Even if you think that you have purchased a "healthy" one, don‘t be surprised it already has ick or other disease.

Yap, understand that regardless any LFS out there always got risk involve so just don't see the point of paying more for the same thing...

Just my 2 cent...

• SRC Member
Oh Ok, I always get worries when the fish don't eat after 1 or 2 days... Haha... now I'm will focus more on their stability then on the feeding....
This LFS is famous for their sky high price, I was told by them they charge high is due to they QT the fish before selling. I went there a couple of time and everything look fine until recently visit. When I saw a few tang having ick and dead fishes lying around. Then finally I understand that is just marketing... lucky everytime I want to buy but is stop by their price else feed like kana chop carrot. Haha.. 

NO!!! Most cases please make sure the fishes are feeding. I took the risk because it's the nature of the fish character. Large angels are known not to feed for the first couple of weeks.

As for the LFS putting a premium stating that they QT the fishes, it's up to you to judge. I never believe in that LFS doing QT. As you said, tank was still full of ich 🤣 Put it bluntly, if your fishes die, you will acquire more.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
4 hours ago, aquagem said:

NO!!! Most cases please make sure the fishes are feeding. I took the risk because it's the nature of the fish character. Large angels are known not to feed for the first couple of weeks.

As for the LFS putting a premium stating that they QT the fishes, it's up to you to judge. I never believe in that LFS doing QT. As you said, tank was still full of ich  Put it bluntly, if your fishes die, you will acquire more.

haha... ok ok...

Erm slowly into the hobby now I also think is unlikely that any LFS will really do proper QT... but sea life aquarium they do have a holding area for new fish that just arrived, they will hold the fish for a few days before putting into the display for sell. If you want to buy those in the holding area they will give discount... personally find this approach quite gd...

• SRC Member

IMG_7027.JPG

Dont take it for granted if the FS which states that they QT the fishes for you. If the fish dies, there's one particular fish shop will push the blame on your water quality

10 hours ago, aquagem said:

IMG_7027.JPG

Dont take it for granted if the FS which states that they QT the fishes for you. If the fish dies, there's one particular fish shop will push the blame on your water quality I used to get my livestock and water maintenance from them and when needed help, their response was to ask to perform water changes almost every week. what a joke!

On another note, finger cross finally introduced my male interruptus angel into the DT tonight IMG_7027.JPG

Nice Jocs and Interruptus bro. Make me miss both my spawning pairs.

Sharing my long ago video.

21 hours ago, nemonary571 said:

Ich are a problem since ornamental fish started so its always a dilemma for the lfs. Dilemma in the sense whether to use copper or not in their system as copper are hard to rid once applied and can be deadly if not test or checked.  Certain fishes like angelfish are more sensitive to copper and to avoid as much as possible. However, if copper not used, to ensure that newly arrived tangs do not  succumb to ich or velvet is almost impossible and its definitely more pleasing to the eyes of anyone coming to a shop to see fishes free of any ich compare to a shop where fishes show discoloration, flaking or scrubbing behavior even if spots are not notice yet. However, if copper are administered but not tested, the fishes may look "clean" on the appearance but internally, health may already be compromised.

• SRC Member

IMG_7047.JPG

Very very nice pair. Saw the differential in size. I still do have another female which is similar size as the male. She's still in QT. I Guess I'll have a tough time getting them paired up.

On another note, it's surprising to see how the newcomer manage to hold his ground towards the gem tang, when being approached. Moreover, it is the resident gem that got harassed by him

You will be surprise, pairing dwarf angel are downright easy as long as there is a difference in size. For similar size, it depends whether the female will submit to the male. You will notice submissive behavior when the female arc and bend the body and the male swims near it. Some female are downright aggressive and thats when you have serious problem.

Below are some old photos of my Joc pair 

No automatic alt text available.

No automatic alt text available.

• SRC Member

I must say very nice pair of joculator I've no success in pairing them. Got 4, 1 didn't made it and god knows, the 3 couldn't get along ended up separating all of them.

By the way, you've any experience in pairing zebrasoma tangs is this even possible?? I've been trying many times but without success in the DT. In QT they are ok as the space in very confined. Once I dump all into the DT, disaster

On 15/08/2018 at 9:12 PM, aquagem said:

I must say very nice pair of joculator emoji4.png I've no success in pairing them. Got 4, 1 didn't made it and god knows, the 3 couldn't get along emoji52.png ended up separating all of them.

By the way, you've any experience in pairing zebrasoma tangs emoji23.png is this even possible?? I've been trying many times but without success in the DT. In QT they are ok as the space in very confined. Once I dump all into the DT, disaster emoji33.png

I have paired many species of dwarf (Jocs, Potter, Interruptus, hybrid flames, Argi, Acanthops) some even having a harem of them. Never faced any issues at all before and to me dwarfs seems so much easier to pair compared to their large cousins.

Nv had any experiences in pairing surgeon fish and I have only kept blue, hybrid powder blue, jewel, black, gem tang, Tomini and White tail before and alot of them when i purchase them at 50cent coin size are very cute but grow so quickly that I have to sell them after awhile.

On 15/08/2018 at 9:17 PM, aquagem said:

IMG_4510.JPG

Apparently, it didn't work too well for me. Hence now they are all separated emoji22.png

I notice that the Jocs you have are of similar size which maybe the issue why you are failing because 2 similar size fishes will definately have higher chance of challenging to the death if both parties refuse to back down.

In angelfish pairing, I noticr that the "submissive behavior" is very critical.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Any kind soul can teach me how to pellet train this stubborn fish? It is with me for 4 months now. It has no problem feeding at all, but just chose to eat prawns only! I even tried starving it for 3 days straight and it still refused to budge :(

IMG_2815.MP4

IMG_1211.MP4

IMG_1896.MP4

• SRC Member
On 04/08/2018 at 1:39 PM, marineph said:

Training it to take pellets should be much easier after it began to eat. 

Please keep the updates coming when there is another breakthrough.

Look at my latest post. Still not eating pallets. Help me :( 

• SRC Supporter

You can try soaking with pellet with some enhance like garlic during each feed ?

Or try out different brands of pellets ,i.e; easyreef, tdo and NLS frincky fish ..

Hope it helps

• SRC Member

Maybe it is not used to moving pellets at the beginning.  Try the easyreefs masstick by sticking to the tank glass to tempt it to graze.  If it starts to like the taste, switch to the easyreefs pellets.  

• SRC Member
You can try soaking with pellet with some enhance like garlic during each feed ?

Or try out different brands of pellets ,i.e; easyreef, tdo and NLS frincky fish ..

Hope it helps

Thank you, I've tried all the above with no luck :(

• SRC Member
Maybe it is not used to moving pellets at the beginning.  Try the easyreefs masstick by sticking to the tank glass to tempt it to graze.  If it starts to like the taste, switch to the easyreefs pellets.  

Thks! :) where can I get the Masstick :) seems interesting !

• SRC Member

Nice Jocs and Interruptus bro. Make me miss both my spawning pairs.
Sharing my long ago video.
[/url]  

Was it a pair when you acquired them? I've 3 in total now. Very certain 1 is male and hopefully the other 2 are females. Do you think all 3 can go together .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...