Worm inside Toadstool?

• SRC Member

Noticed some “thread” stringing out and then retracting back, from my toadstool. I don’t think toadstool has such characteristics right? And I remember a kind of worm/snail does this to feed by catching food in the water. But could it live in a toadstool coral?

Comments please.TQ.

156E4BB0-B5CA-4D5D-BE84-94E008E4AF6E.png

5D97414A-60A4-4F3D-A248-4BA6B529F4C1.jpeg

• SRC Member

If it throws up & retracts a slime line, it could be a vermetid snail. They usually attach themselves to a hard surface though. Can you see any tube-like structure on the underside of the toadstool?

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, JMW said:

If it throws up & retracts a slime line, it could be a vermetid snail. They usually attach themselves to a hard surface though. Can you see any tube-like structure on the underside of the toadstool?

Yes, it throws and retracts a slime line. Could be a vermetid. But I don’t see any tube under the toadstool.

• SRC Member
49 minutes ago, Ranz said:

hi it's comb jelly. 

i have it last time in my toadstool too. 

quite cool to watch. 

I googled Comb Jelly and all that shows up are something like jelly fish, so I don’t think it’s Comb Jelly. Do you have any image for reference?

• SRC Member
48 minutes ago, Ranz said:

you can try hitchhiker guide - lion fish lair. 

or this article too. 

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/05/28/coeloplana-benthic-ctenophores-living-nose/

Tqvm! The “strings” dies look like the mentioned coeloplana. Did it cause any problems or issues with your tank?

• SRC Member

no issue in my tank. and after a while i didn't see it anymore - i guess it died. 

you can observe if the "string" irritate any coral nearby but it won't sting. it is just getting nutrient from the water. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...