Wasted trip to coral farm

Its been 20 over years since i last set foot in the ulu part of LCK.I was sceptical at first after reading some of the bad review.I was convinced that only a handful of people will be turned away,maybe for reasons that the place is not for visiting or viewing,or unauthorised entry to certain part of the facility, etc.

So i reached coral farm at around noon today,there was no other "visitors" around and the infamous auntie who gave out free drinks when you make a purchase is nowhere to be seen.The only person there was a man who i think is one of their staff.

Its quite a big place.I was somehow excited upon seeing rows of tanks that take up a space area of about 2 basketball courts.I informed the staff that im there to buy some corals.

Here's the surprise reply from the staff."We don"t have corals".I didnt say anything after that,and decided to just leave.

A place that called themselves Coral Farm,and they dont have corals.So my advise to newcomers,maybe get someone who is familiar to the place,or you"ll get the cold shoulder treatment like me.

For me i rather throw my money elsewhere eventhough it will be more expensive,at least i"ll get better customer service and i dont waste a few hours of my time that i will never get back.

Happy reefing.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 1

• SRC Member

2 views into that.

At least the gentlemen was being honest. So no time wastage for you to walk around and be disappointed. He went straight to the point! He's there to sell and you're there to buy. Given it's a "farm" customer service is not their priority.

As for your opinion spending more elsewhere, please think twice. I had that mentality previously, and it backfired! There's a new LFS in town which I used to patronised. I must admit, They've the best customer service INITIALLY, but when issues and problems started to surface, they tried denying everything. over promising things which they can't even deliver given the speculated time frame. Oh and when they know you stop supporting them, you will be "back to coral farm attitude"

• Like 1

actually, coral farms main biz is exporting marine fish ...... they seldom have corals and even if they had, it will be limited to at most 10 tanks of zoas and some other corals...... i go there to buy fish, snails, shrimp, sea cucumbers starfish ... name of the place is a bit misleading for newbies ..... : )

The staff mostly foreigners and can be rather "candid". It is unfortunate to experience this in your first visit and understandable when you made the effort to travel all the way there and realised a wasted trip. 

Recently, there was issue for corals to be exported out from Indonesia and many lfses were hit by this. Some lfses started to source alternative. For coral farm, they have their regular stream of import from them and was also hit by the issue. Hence when the worker said no coral , I believe he was referring to this and if you were to proceed further, you will only see empty tanks.

For most shipment, lfses will arrange arrival from thursday to Saturday. Hence, suggest to newbie to look out for update column before making special trip especially to lfses in less accessible places.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Well if they really wanted your money, they would not setup at ulu place right? Maybe somewhere accessable to the public. The do export business and they are professional. Even if you purchase one common $1 clown fish, you will get an invoice. Waste paper imo

But i love coral farm as bring in some fishes which is hard to come by at lfs.. so still worth to go from my view, but need to check before you head down. Happy reefing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Well if they really wanted your money, they would not setup at ulu place right? Maybe somewhere accessable to the public. The do export business and they are professional. Even if you purchase one common $1 clown fish, you will get an invoice. Waste paper imo

But i love coral farm as bring in some fishes which is hard to come by at lfs.. so still worth to go from my view, but need to check before you head down. Happy reefing.

• SRC Member

• SRC Member

Everyone has their good and bad experience in every LFS or farms.

Agreed! I ve even had good and bad experiences at the same LFS or farm during different visits. Reason being the customer service is not consistent. Becos of that, i dun have much expectations wen visiting lfs or farm, its better that way
Having said that, some LFS do have consistently gd customer service (nice ppl), at least for me

Everyone has their good and bad experience in every LFS or farms.

Agreed! I ve even had good and bad experiences at the same LFS or farm during different visits. Reason being the customer service is not consistent. Becos of that, i dun have much expectations wen visiting lfs or farm, its better that way
Having said that, some LFS do have consistently gd customer service (nice ppl), at least for me