QT tank temperature issue

• SRC Member

Recently due to the crazy hot weather my QT temp is stuck at 29c despite using the fan non stop.

I suspect due to the temp it already killed 10+ fishes.

Now my QT is doing more harm then good to me. Now start to wonder should I still continue to do QT or just put in main tank.

Guess the survival rate is higher.

Any bro can advise...

• SRC Member

Try increasing the surface agitation of the water on the QT by tilting a small powerhead towards the surface more than you usually would. Helps regulate the temperature and aerate the water more- since temperature fluctuations, pH swings and lower oxygen levels especially at night are probably what end up killing your fish

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
Same!! My QT tank has been killing all my fishes... I think the survival rate is much higher by just putting the fishes into your main tank kept it well fed!

Jay
Regards
U also facing the temp issue?

Now I'm thinking for those fish that is so called more disease resistant one should I just put in directly or not... haiz...

• SRC Member
Try increasing the surface agitation of the water on the QT by tilting a small powerhead towards the surface more than you usually would. Helps regulate the temperature and aerate the water more- since temperature fluctuations, pH swings and lower oxygen levels especially at night are probably what end up killing your fish

Already doing it bro, on top of the submerge pump I added an air pump in the tank to ensure the PH and oxygen is constant. The only thing that bother me now is the temperature.

I will increase more aeration and see hope it goes. Hopefully no more casualties.
  • Like 1

• SRC Supporter

Recently due to the crazy hot weather my QT temp is stuck at 29c despite using the fan non stop.

Now my QT is doing more harm then good to me. Now start to wonder should I still continue to do QT or just put in main tank.

Any bro can advise...

How is your QT tank setup ?

If your feel that the QT tank conditions is not as good as your main tank then maybe you can just observe the fish inaide your tank and place it in a isolation box. If any sign of diseases appear, you can still easily catch out for treatment.

• SRC Member
How is your QT tank setup ?

If your feel that the QT tank conditions is not as good as your main tank then maybe you can just observe the fish inaide your tank and place it in a isolation box. If any sign of diseases appear, you can still easily catch out for treatment.

My QT is bare bottom with submerge filter pump and air pump. Bio media i use seachem matrix, marine pure sphere and maxspect sphere. Also have a ammonia alert to monitor any spike.

Below are my parameter all the while

Temp = 28.7 to 29.5
PH = 8.3 to 8.4
Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 0.1 to 0.5
Nitrate = Phosphate = 0.5 to 0.7
Salinity = 1.025 to 1.026

I guess for those more disease resistant type like gobies or small fish I will do what u said put in main Tank and observe. Only tang and angel will strictly do QT to eliminate ick.

Even banggai so hardy also can die in my QT twice...

• SRC Supporter
13 hours ago, Indeco said:

Already doing it bro, on top of the submerge pump I added an air pump in the tank to ensure the PH and oxygen is constant. The only thing that bother me now is the temperature.

I will increase more aeration and see hope it goes. Hopefully no more casualties. emoji17.png

I'm in the process of QT a tang as well.

Very similar set up as what you have. Temp goes up to about 29-30DegC.

How 'clean' is the bio media you are using? Do you think it has parasites in it that is being passed on? Or is it 'new' media recycled after a successful QT cycle?

About water parameters, do you have an ATO to ensure parameters like pH & salinity remain as stable as possible since you are using a fan? Worst case is to purchase those small chillers (about $200+)

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
I'm in the process of QT a tang as well.
Very similar set up as what you have. Temp goes up to about 29-30DegC.

How 'clean' is the bio media you are using? Do you think it has parasites in it that is being passed on? Or is it 'new' media recycled after a successful QT cycle?
About water parameters, do you have an ATO to ensure parameters like pH & salinity remain as stable as possible since you are using a fan? Worst case is to purchase those small chillers (about $200+)

The bio media is all new and cycled, went thought the ammonia and nitrite spike beginning due to over stock. Now only left phosphate which is high but is doing water changes every week to bring it down.

After adding the air pump the PH is stable from morning to night. For salinity, I'm using timer plug to control the fan runtime so the evaporation is not that bad and water is top up constantly to maintain. Max swing is between 1.025 to 1.0255.

Thinking about buying the chiller but is like over kill.

I guess maybe I'm just suck at choosing the fishes, mostly all die within 1 or 2 days. Maybe I should go other LFS to try...

• SRC Member

Any bro can advise...

I really invested in another chiller just for my qt. Sg weather temp can shoot really high. And even air pumps can't help much. Even when I touch the water I m like. Wtf so hot!

• SRC Member
I really invested in another chiller just for my qt. Sg weather temp can shoot really high. And even air pumps can't help much. Even when I touch the water I m like. Wtf so hot!

Haha... Will seriously consider it for now, else the money wasted soon can buy chiller also.

Got any cheap and small chiller to intro?