my 1st nano reef tank

louisfjh

• SRC Member

I'm also very curious about the HOB tank.  How is the water pump in and how it flows out?  Does it need a specially designed/shaped tank to do it, or would any tank work?  And most importantly, what's the chances of overflow from the HOB.

On 9/18/2018 at 9:37 AM, DottyClown said:

I'm also very curious about the HOB tank.  How is the water pump in and how it flows out?  Does it need a specially designed/shaped tank to do it, or would any tank work?  And most importantly, what's the chances of overflow from the HOB.

It's like hang on filter concept, won't have overflow problems like sump.

Many people use hob filter as refugium for pico tanks but this is my first time seeing hob that looks so nice O.O

image as how it work. pump water into the box n it will flow back to dt. chance to overflow if the pump spoil. can use on any tank.IMG20180919225802.jpg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
9 hours ago, louisfjh said:

image as how it work. pump water into the box n it will flow back to dt. chance to overflow if the pump spoil. can use on any tank.IMG20180919225802.jpg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

From the pictures, I think what’s good about this setup is: should the pump malfunction, the supply to this tank will stop, & therefore there is no chance of overflow. 

The only risk(albeit minimal) would be if the tank’s return flow outlet is blocked or clogged, the pump will continue to draw water into the tank & eventually it will fill up & overflow on the sides. 

Is that how it works?

• 1 month later...