ULTRA BUDGET OCTOPUS REEF TANK?

NubReefer

• SRC Member

Yeah so i sorta want another pico tank as my last one was converted into a large tank

Buttttt my only pico tank is now storing a juvinile day octopus or octopus Cyanea

It is eating freshwater shrimp, alive or recently terminated. So far the tank have a few rock for the octopus to hide in. And yeah thats pretty much it. And my father asked my if i can "bueutify" the tank, so i wonder what i can put into that already small tank. And the tank size is (PLEASE DONT HATE ME ITS A REALLY SMALL OCTO PLEASE DONT HATE ME) 1 gallon.... with no light. The filtration is a conventional pump the water into a sponge and let it flow out. And yeah. So far the octopus is okay, and the waste is okay so i have a few idea about what to put in it. 1. Tube worm 2. Sponges 3.macroalgae 4.nassarius snails or turbo 5. Your suggestion. So how? Any advice is welcome even crictisicim is welcomed.

Ps my spelling is not okay so apologies if my spelling is somewhat wrong.

Ps i cant put any picture as i have this cruse.... check out my post death photo

Ps the salinity of the tank is 1.026-1.028

Ps i have no test kit as im broke from buying the scorpion fish rhinopia i think......

Ps im average in saltwater fishes and inverts, not in corals tou. Still noob.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Wow I wanna see! I honestly think it will crash sooner or later, but you should use carbon or purigen for chemical filtration, especially useful for small tanks.

For pico tank, that level of feeding (shrimps) is too much. You should consider keeping corals instead (since you've never kept corals before). You can easily keep corals like discosoma, zoas, toadstool leather because their nutrient output is very low. You don't have to feed them and they don't require any dosing.

If you wanna keep the octopus, maybe a nano might work. 1 gallon is simply not doable for the long term because you lack space for good flow and nutrient export i.e. a good sized macro algae colony/protein skimmer. :) 

• SRC Member

You already know it yourself.  1 gallon is way way too small for an octopus, and that is an understatement.

Not meaning to be rude or anything, but don't even think about adding anything into the tank.  You will only be crowding out the limited space, reducing the water volume and sending the nutrients way up higher than what I suspect is already very high  That it is surviving, doesn't mean it is not suffering.

Please do yourself and the poor octopus a favour, and get a bigger tank for it.

You will feel more at ease and so will the octopus.

• SRC Member
You already know it yourself.  1 gallon is way way too small for an octopus, and that is an understatement.
Not meaning to be rude or anything, but don't even think about adding anything into the tank.  You will only be crowding out the limited space, reducing the water volume and sending the nutrients way up higher than what I suspect is already very high  That it is surviving, doesn't mean it is not suffering.
Please do yourself and the poor octopus a favour, and get a bigger tank for it.
You will feel more at ease and so will the octopus.
Yeah im planning to give it a 20 gallon about next month or in a few weeks. And yes i will buy a skimmer maybe not those 200 dollar skimmer but yeah i will get both. Thanks for reply!

• SRC Member

And the octopus is like 5 cm unstrected and it mainly hide in the rock work so i have to get it out of there just to feed it, i took the food itself so it likes it but not actively looking for it. Oh and it really can hide so well like a 2 cm crack in the rock? No problem, because its eyes is 0.7mm so it can basically go into anything and anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • SRC Member
They don't need to be kept in big tanks?

Upgraded his tank to a 1ft tank. Depending on what type you keep I Guess. Mine just hides in his oyster shell. Doesn’t come out. Only when I feed him. And he doesn’t grow big I Guess. That’s why I find it alright. IMG_6210.JPG

wow very interesting, a octopus in a pico tank. I would recommand putting macro algae in there, some green and red types will make it nice. 

Just curious, was it a locally caught octopus? Cause I am wondering how it can stand the heat in sg. Im gussing you dont run a fan or chiller as the evaporation rate will be crazy for a pico.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member
Locally caught.
Currently running a sump design.
Sump pumps into octopus tank.
Overflows into my main display overflow area back to sump.

Is that a slender seagrass, Bighead or Reef octopus? The latter 2 grow pretty large iirc

• SRC Member

14 hours ago, soggycookies said:

Is that a slender seagrass, Bighead or Reef octopus? The latter 2 grow pretty large iirc

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

I’m not too sure. It’s this little guy here. He seems quite small. Haha. If he gets too big, can just release back where I caught him. 

EF5BD32C-5416-4705-9374-E441A74D49F4.jpeg

• Like 1

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, VanquishJ said:

I’m not too sure. It’s this little guy here. He seems quite small. Haha. If he gets too big, can just release back where I caught him. 

EF5BD32C-5416-4705-9374-E441A74D49F4.jpeg

Definitely looks like a slender seagrass octopus to me. the reef octopus species you can find locally look stunning but they also grow largest.. colors are often a blend of purple and blue.

Awesome pic btw! makes me miss keeping cephalopods hahahah

• SRC Member
Definitely looks like a slender seagrass octopus to me. the reef octopus species you can find locally look stunning but they also grow largest.. colors are often a blend of purple and blue.

Awesome pic btw! makes me miss keeping cephalopods hahahah

Haha. You can start back. It can be kept with cuttlefish. Mine don’t fight. One stays at the surface. Octopus at the bottom. Peaceful.