New Setup

• SRC Member

I am starting this IM lagoon 25 as a Frag display setup for SPS top layer, LPS and Soft at the bottom layers.

Tank is currently cycling on Prodibio bacterial combo (Biodigest and Biotipm)

1) Bare bottom tank

2) Biological filter - MarinePure spheres and Cube blocks

3) Mini Chaeto refugium on Chaetomax from IM

4) DIY Frag rack using black eggcrate and MarinePure cube as base and additional Biofilter.

Valuable inputs are welcome to help make this setup better.51a699c6bd3645912b1c4ef7b5f15680.jpg14780eb4d55521d5ebc0446baf0a08e8.jpg902d55358144497639b2b437fc2974ae.jpg6e0d5e2d3f46cbdc1882fb83c2eb2839.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

I’m running the same type of refugium on my IM Fusion 20. I purchased an electrical plug with a digital On/Off timer. The refugium light turns on about an hour before the display lights turn off and turns off an hour after the display lights turn on. Using the principles of Reverse Daylight Photosynthesis is purported to help stabilize pH during nighttime when CO2 accumulates. This is the theory anyway. I haven’t gotten up in the middle of the night to test pH nor do I think hobbyist test kits are sensitive enough to detect minor fluctuations in pH, but my Chaeto is growing like crazy and my nitrates and phosphates are barely detectable. It’s a fairly cheap modification and may be worth trying.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 3

• SRC Member

Yes. I use a media rack to hold the chaeto and wrap the rack in a fine mesh net bag. This helps limit bits from getting into return pump chamber but doesn’t completely eliminate it. My filter floss seems to get dirty pretty quickly and so I replace it every 2 days. I’m thinking about using material with much smaller holes such as a laundry bag but not such how much that would decrease the amount of light getting to the chaeto. I guess this is a problem with all refugiums regardless of where they are located. I’m interested to hear how other refugium users deal with this.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Sharing my input with photo on my setup.

Fliter wool still need to be replace like every 4 weeks or when it is about to get choke up. During wool replacement, siphon water till it drop below the egg crate to prevent chaeto bits falling off during wool replacement.

20180930_061523.jpg

• SRC Member

Wow yes the chaeto "escaping" the fuge is really a pain. Currently using a filter floss trap to catch all the wool but not sure if it also prevents the pods from entering the main display....can anyone identify my macroalgae...dun tell me it is a caluerpa gene.....5c27997fdbeae82a1742176f276c5e09.jpgff09a148925b983435ed1bf95f1fb32e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

fb3815ca350671341ce145665c7a5e8c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

sorry to bring this up late but where did you purchase the IM chaetomax LED?

madpetz ran out of stock so i couldn't find them anywhere else

• 3 weeks later...