digleftnose

HOB Refugium worth it?

Hello gurus, 

I was thinking of placing a HOB filter and turn it into a chaeto refug. Would it be beneficial? Mine is a 2 x 1 ft ios. Below is a pic. I just have basic filtration and a qq1 skimmer. 

20181030_111630.jpg

20181030_111649.jpg

Depends what's your objective of having a refugium. If you research online, there's a lot of debate whether a small refugium is even worth it vs a big one. I recommend watching the below youtube video for more info on refugiums.

According to my own experience, i tried using a small HOB breeding box as a refugium for nutrient export on my nano tank (1.5 x 1.2 x 1ft) and growing a small bunch of chaeto inside. Perhaps due to my lighting (just a small LED light), the chaeto grew very slowly and hence didn't create much impact on nutrient export. However, it was a great place for me to grow pods and other micro life. I also used it to acclimatise new livestock  or use as temporary storage for corals so i could feed them easier. So to me it did have its uses, just not that great for nutrient export. 

Hi im new to this chaeto thing. How do you identify if it's doing good based on this pic? 

It's bubbly and brownish by the day. 

20181120_165833.jpg