Tuxedo urchin and zoanthid

keecur89

Woke up this morning and found my tuxedo urchin carrying a zoanthid on his back. I tried to remove it but it wouldn’t come off. The urchins are supposedly reef safe so he shouldn’t eat it. Also he is out all day so light won’t be a problem. Should I just leave it there and give you guys an update?IMG_0128.JPG

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Tuxedo urchins are known to attach small items such as rubble or frags, or in your case loose zoas on their backs. Probably as a form of camouflage. It will hold on to it as long as it likes. You can try to slowly pry the zoas loose using a satay stick, but be gentle so as to not injure the urchin

& yes they are reef safe

hope this helps!

Yeah mine does the same its like camo and protection in a way. If it doesnt bother u just leave it if not use some small pinchers or the best non evasive way i tried is remove it from ur tank leave it for a while the urchin will let go of the corals or rubbles it holds on to at which point u put it back in

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app