Starting Reef Tank Without Chiller

• SRC Member
Would it be possible to start one if using LED lights and fans for cooling and if the tank is not in AC area?
Hi bro, I used to have a two foot cooled by a fan. I was able to keep BN, Shrooms and GSP. You have to constantly top up water though.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
Hi bro, I used to have a two foot cooled by a fan. I was able to keep BN, Shrooms and GSP. You have to constantly top up water though.

Also, always keep a spare fan set as my BN quickly declined when temps rose up to 31.

• SRC Member
16 minutes ago, boxerz said:

Interesting. So question here is, without a chiller, using fan and using LED lights, how likely it is for the temp to go over 30/31C?

Not really much. My temp was maintained at 28.5-29 using fans for a two foot. To be fair, my LED were very low temp. How big of a tank are u thinking of using it on?

• 1 month later...

if talking about equipment broken down, chiller system has 2 equipment to be worried (chiller & its pump) than fan.

Using fan = higher evaporation rate, thus ato is highly recommended.

Fan depends on ambient temperature to bring down 1~2 degC. Will need ice pack / ice bottle to bring it lower, especially in hot spell.

Hot exhaust from the chiller will increase ambient temperature, resulting in never ending cycle of heating / cooling.

Chiller running cost is higher than fan.

Appearance wise, chiller setup is neater and more "pro".

BTW, im a fan man for the past 2 years. In colder months, it can drop to 26degC. Hottest maybe 31degC.