Another journey to Reefing world

Kingkk

• SRC Member

We very much enjoyed our 5x2x2 ground level reef tank for quite some time.

We as family felt it’s now time to upgrade our current set up due to space constraints and our urge to have deeper tank more room for fish and corals.

Below is my old tank.87ef5b6b3246b0cae8320ebc8a59d61f.jpg

The upgrade is not so significant, the new tank spec is L5xW2.5XH2 feet, yes 2.5 wide just half feet more, but it really matters if I want to go with sps dominant and have enough space for our carzy colonies of LPS and 30 odd fish

351a7d7776b977813d7e8965e1f2bfdf.jpg

IMG_8707.thumb.jpg.97c052fb8b17668bdc8e413034279a32.jpg

IMG_8709.thumb.jpg.cad360ecfa05bd2e2ee41f5b0eefe70e.jpg

Yes it’s not brand new, for it from a nice Reefer who decom his tank, and for my requirement the plumbing needs to be upgraded to improve the flow.

ded70291d9b5a5e3704a0de2ee24bc88.jpg

It has TOP and Bottom braces, it may not look so aesthetically pleasing but helps for me for the kind of setup I have for my light and avoids water flowing over the glass and less maintenance.

8cf9df19c6d3bb14ce582b958350b2c4.jpg

Over all it’s a great tank with high cabinet and ample space to work underneath and decent size sump with enough room.

Sump size L4xw2xH 1.3

I will decom try current tank in Feb 2019, if anyone keen to buy the tank and the sump do let me know

And now will keep you posted on all upgrades, lighting and over all set up.

Wish this thread helps me to track my activity, correct my mistake and most importantly valuable feedbacks and inputs from fellow reefers,

Cleaning time.. see ya guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• SRC Member

If u are not using 'live sand' can still drip ur RODI water directly into tank then mix concentrated salt mix to in tub to add into tank. Make sure to have allowance to add RODI water later if salinity too high. 

• SRC Member
If u are not using 'live sand' can still drip ur RODI water directly into tank then mix concentrated salt mix to in tub to add into tank. Make sure to have allowance to add RODI water later if salinity too high. 

Not using live sand bro..yes now doing the same way mixing concentrated salt with with high power pump,will fill tank to half and then add water

• SRC Supporter
9 hours ago, Kingkk said:

Salt mixing — Lol need to mix 700ls.. any tips to minimise the effort.

let’s 845c7e0b5d747d95bd85297e6b6751e7.jpg

For my initial tank fill, i filled it up with water. Let it run to be sure there are no leaks as the pump system runs. Then placed a large filter sock at the sump water inlet area - and added salt into the filter sock till it reached 35ppt salinity.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Supporter
7 hours ago, Kingkk said:

Hope this may avoid snails getting in and get stuck..just need to observe so that the inlet don’t get clogged

05ef2f5350d9c6f736b2f97c36c4f9b4.jpg
931e2019e88fb0090e91fa103983949b.jpg

This think this will restrict flow & reduce performance of the skimmer continuously. 

If you really need this (though most folks don't), then have a 'cage like' screen instead of a flat screen - this will enable more water flow through.

Look forward to seeing an upgrade tank build! Do share more pics :) 

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Was on holiday for 16 days, our old tank was on auto.. not a single causality.. great to see most of the sps grew Super fast and coloured up well

Algae all over the glass, thick and is very hard to scrape may take while day to make it shine

42e9a6f133551fb455df8dd7863af5b1.jpg
28837e84954a6ae9a8d65c25f5826301.jpg

Time to shift all my stock to new tank after 3 months of Cycling. Need to check the parameters once for both the tanks, planing to start shifting from next weekend once I mount my T5s

1e45af88a15cf39e60bf83bf0993a2d8.jpg