Cloudy tank

Esplay

Hey reefers, Big problem.  My tank was all running fine until one morning when I woke up, the water seemed to be extremely cloudy overnight. After googling the problem, i suspect it turned out to be a bacteria bloom. Most treatments told me to leave it alone and be patient as it will clear after a few days. However, this has been going on for 3 weeks and I’m starting to worry. I have performed several big water changes (80% max) but to no avail. I have severely reduced my feeding and replace filter socks every few days. Anyone can give me some advice? Thanks 

B9357D52-DDE7-412A-B54F-88C294AED08B.jpeg

92F83F4D-D47F-4C0A-A9C0-34131AD720A0.jpeg

• SRC Member

Try running a carbon reactor with activated carbon. If you don’t have one, a mesh bag with activated carbon in it in a high flow area works too. Should help with the water clarity

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

UV also helps.

|| Tank: 5x2x2.5 || Sump 3.5x1.5.1.5 || Lights: DeLighting 2x80w Aquable Special T5 ||

|| Return: 2 x ehiem 1264 || Skimmer: Skimz SM251 ||

|| CR: deltec denitrator || ATO with custom make reservior tank||

|| FR: TLF running Rowas ,UV ||

|| Wavemaker: Jebao RE20& RW15|| Chiller: Daikin 1HP Compressor ||

|| Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor ||

I have a mesh bag of carbon running inside for 3 days but it doesn’t seem to help (it was in the sump with little to no flow). I was thinking uv steriliser but I don’t want anything too expensive, any recommendations? 

What’s your tank size? Usually large tanks take longer for bacteria bloom to go away. Do you have sufficient biomedia for hosting of bacteria? Test ur ammonia n nitrates, as Long as your animals aren’t affected you shouldn’t be too worried.

Bro I also have this problem b4.. 

After using UV running for 2 days all clear up already.  Maybe u can t loan from reefers here

|| Tank: 5x2x2.5 || Sump 3.5x1.5.1.5 || Lights: DeLighting 2x80w Aquable Special T5 ||

|| Return: 2 x ehiem 1264 || Skimmer: Skimz SM251 ||

|| CR: deltec denitrator || ATO with custom make reservior tank||

|| FR: TLF running Rowas ,UV ||

|| Wavemaker: Jebao RE20& RW15|| Chiller: Daikin 1HP Compressor ||

|| Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor ||

My tank is a 4x1.5x1.5 ft, holds about 230 litres including sump. I just tested my water and so far these are the results 

ph= 8

kh = 9dkh

calcium = 420ppm

phosphate = 0

nitrate = 0

ammonia = 0

i currently have 4 blocks of marinepure 

I dose alkalinity Everyday and seachem stability once every few days. My corals and fish don’t seem bothered by the bacteria bloom but I would really like it if I can see through the tank clearly haha

• SRC Member
My tank is a 4x1.5x1.5 ft, holds about 230 litres including sump. I just tested my water and so far these are the results 
ph= 8
kh = 9dkh
calcium = 420ppm
phosphate = 0
nitrate = 0
ammonia = 0
i currently have 4 blocks of marinepure 
I dose alkalinity Everyday and seachem stability once every few days. My corals and fish don’t seem bothered by the bacteria bloom but I would really like it if I can see through the tank clearly haha

Try to skim wetter.

U also need to stop dosing bacteria for a while.

• SRC Member

A bit off topic but I don't think two Kessil A80s are gonna be enough light for that tank unless you are going for NPS. One Kessil A80 has only 15W power. As for how to get rid of the bacteria bloom, like most people suggested, best is to run a UV steriliser and stop dosing bacteria which is your seachem stability. Otherwise, you just have to play the waiting game lor.

2 a80’s are definitely not going to be enough, hence I’m considering to get an ai prime HD to complement the PAR requirements. Do you think it’s enough? Or I should get another lightset. Meanwhile, I will just wait patiently and run more carbon in my system. 

2 hours ago, Esplay said:

2 a80’s are definitely not going to be enough, hence I’m considering to get an ai prime HD to complement the PAR requirements. Do you think it’s enough? Or I should get another lightset. Meanwhile, I will just wait patiently and run more carbon in my system. 

Par for ai prime is too low. U can try to go for at least hydra26s if Budget permits. There have been few 2nd hand leds going for sale here for a rather good price, maybe you can keep a lookout 

I plan to keep a mixed reef, now currently got a couple of beginner sps and some lps. Relatively hardy corals, need to get the hang of it first. 

Im running a bubble magus curve 5, I just set the skinner to have a wetter skim, hopefully this will help reduce the bacteria bloom. 

15 hours ago, Dechew said:

Could it be the carbon used for filtering is not ideal to keep up with this condition. Get a better type and increase the qty may helps.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Could be, I will buy a better quality carbon and add it tonight. Will see how it goes. Thanks!