Building tank setup from Taobao

marine1983

• SRC Member

Hi all,

My first tank with sump. Been using iOS for a while. Decided to get from TB for cost and customisation reasons. Any advice appreciated. Especially things to watch out for.

I try to keep the volume small so that I can use my tk500 chiller haha.

For those that question whether glass would break during shipping, I have done it before but for smaller tanks. Keeping my fingers crossed this time.

Next update would be a month haha due to manufacturing and shipping times.

Tank: 15mm thick 120 by 45 by 40cm. Front side crystal class

Sump: 8mm normal glass

Frame:40-40 3mm thick alum profile, 8 legs and 4 short braces top and bottom

Piping: bean animal, 3 down 32mm red pipes and, 1 return 25mm pipes. pic shown is Herbie but I’m adding one more.

Only have design pic for tank. Profile and piping pictures are stock.

ab5f19e18b998206e42d95d236cadca7.jpg4bc856dfed061ef6481518b9d01bc746.jpg

6fe413469c4aecf8d6148b056a3617d8.jpg

064d3f101792fa3f3bef4189351d04fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For tank, Is it very much cheaper than getting from local? If the saving is 50%, think worth. Otherwise, the issue is about support. My first consideration is quality and peace of mind because the damage can be disastrous. Rest of the items, worth considering to get online if you want special, DIY guys, etc. 

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Thanks! Support as in breakage? I asked about quotes in Singapore and it’s about at least 3 times the price. Is that considered cheap given that it’s a 15mm thick rimless tank?

Think that's cheap. Think in sg, should cost ard 600 to 700 plus if you can find good lobang. 

Support can be in the planning and construction, post sales support for any issue such as minor alternation, add on, etc. Last thing you do not want is what you ordered is different from what you received. Unless you know your work so well to give all the details and fail proof design, good to run through with tank makers who can advise what's doable and what's not. 

To my understanding, China tank makers use different silicon technology and that is something yet to be tested on durability. 

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Hey thanks much for the advice. The shop I got from is a major brand and runs its own factory so I’m not too worried about them getting it wrong. All the auto cad drawings came from them haha.

As in silicone tech, they are using German wacker silicone 121 so I’m not too sure about durability too. Hopefully the extra thick glass provides lots of bond surface haha.

Will keep everyone posted when I get it. Which is about 1.5 months later. Will probably need advice on running of pipes. Glue is the only thing can’t get from Taobao as it’s flammable!

If u going rimless, using 15 mm doesn't equate won't bulge. You need bracing, etc to reinforce the contact surface, etc. Some tank makers may not be confident to do as they did using their exp but failed. So reputable tank makers will be able to commit and advise. If you are comparing to redsea tank set, may not be apple to apple comparison. 

Lastly, DIY yourself can be taxing and the total cost is not just cost of items but also your time to run around and contingency sum for unforeseen issues. Hence, you might want to consider putting all these to decide which option to go.

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
Well if project fails, at least it’s a lesson learned haha. Can pm me the contact of local tank maker who can give good lobang? Thanks.

Bro, how u ship the tank? If shipping is done properly I think should be fine.

For local tank maker u can find CRA and Aquarium Artist. Heard gd feedback from them. But if u want customised sump do prepare to pay more.

• SRC Member

Thanks shipping is usually in wooden frame that shows a bit of glass so that they will not throw it. At that weight I think quite impossible to throw also :) but you never know really. Sometimes it’s just luck.

As to bro solo77 question on bracing, I checked, at only 40cm high, braceless for 120cm Long tank should be alright. In fact, I see slightly bigger tank using 12mm as per pic below. The 15mm thick glass should give the front and back panels quite a bit of rigidity that it won’t bow.

d8368c4a71f6cedaebfd2f4135ef9606.jpg

Will keep you guys posted on the eventual outcome :)

• SRC Supporter

Interesting. In the event the tank is damaged (let's say its chipped). What are the steps to get a replacement/refund? Will it be overall more $$ than building it locally? Just curious.

Agree on CRA & Aquarium Artist as contacts to build the tank

For aluminum frames, is it cheaper to buy from Taobao vs getting them from Prestech?

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

haha I Guess I will find out. Keeping fingers crossed. Shop will replace if the courier discovers damage when it is shipped in China. But courier might not fully cover if it gets damaged from China to SG.

For alum profile, I Guess the key diff is that the Taobao shop will cut and put together all the joints and parts for ease of assembly. I tried looking into prestech based on info in the forum but it seems like they won’t help to design it?

Anyway I got my 2 foot shallow tank (8mm all crystal glass) from Taobao and it’s still going strong after 2 years. Solid wood support cabinet. Will sell that at the market place later!

• SRC Supporter

Prestech cuts to size. They can also do design.

If you provide that photo from your earlier post & purpose, their engineers can size something up for you.

Anyway, interesting thread. Everyone is keen to look out for alternative sources & items not available locally.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

Keep us updated bro. Very Interested to know more also.

I'm kind of regret when I do my 5x2x2 tank with bracing. If without brace must use 19mm glass which cost alot.

If your approach work well next time I can choing a bigger tank. Hahaha.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

My old 5x2x2 is normal glass with out TOP bracing but has bottom bracing, it’s 12mm thick glass, it was great.
My latest tank 5x2x2.5, 12mm crystal 3 sides has TOP and bottom bracing ( no center bracing). somehow I am more admiring the benefits of bracing, most important thing cost, no water spill, can have more flow, my snails don’t come over the bracing. Especially when I need to do some maintenance can take advantage of little support.
Overall less work and more happy

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Wah 5x2x2 is 2.5 times my tank volume haha. 19mm glass sounds extreme but I feel that if there is hood then bracing doesn’t really matter. Can’t see anyway. My tank build is considered nano compared to the ones cited in this thread.

Ok will try to update when the tank comes. Likely end April or early May. Long wait...

• SRC Member

Oh almost forgot my question to the gurus here. BRSTV recommends primer and then pvc cement when gluing the pipes together but I haven’t come across primers in hardware stores. Also don’t see any brand like weldon shown in BRSTV. What do you guys use?

I don't. Just make sure right fit, clean bef applying glue. Pipe got many standards, get common one so at least when things go wrong, u can get them. 

• Like 1

Algae Scrubbler

No problem. Just sharing experience. Went through and understand the challenges. China made tank for fresh water is common, for marine.. Still waiting to see. If u got time, can go iwarna see their Neptune tank. Impressive. 

Algae Scrubbler

Haha. Old sch... Use src... Ppl all on fb... Lol

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
Wah 5x2x2 is 2.5 times my tank volume haha. 19mm glass sounds extreme but I feel that if there is hood then bracing doesn’t really matter. Can’t see anyway. My tank build is considered nano compared to the ones cited in this thread.

Ok will try to update when the tank comes. Likely end April or early May. Long wait...

Haha ya, cause if not 19mm the fish tank will look bend from the side way.

I never use hood, feel that during maintainence will be ma fan.

I'm a Tang lover so bo bian bite the bullet take a bigger tank.