My reef tank (Part 2)

Darren Sim

On 5/10/2020 at 11:00 PM, Clement Chen said:

Oh man very sorry to hear that. Hope your tank recovers. Ur sps is really amazing! The frags I got from u previously are doing great

Thank you! Im glad the corals you got it from me is doing well in your tank! (:

On 5/11/2020 at 12:47 AM, Admiraltian said:

Hi bro, Sorry to hear this, My tank also got attacked by Aefw too recently. Hope ur restart will be smooth sailing. Good luck. 

Haha. Hopefully everything will go smoothly after this restart.

I'm going to share a bit of my 4ft QT. As mentioned  above that i'll be doing hypo-salinity for my fishes to remove any ich or parasites.

My initial salinity was at 1.027 and I slowly top up with RODI to bring it down to 1.009 over the 1 week period.

One salt bucket full of RODI able to lower the tank's salinity by 0.002.

Trying to maintain my QT PH around 8~

Currently my tank's salinity is at 1.014

.IMG_9115.thumb.jpg.025d96f80d48af6af22ee525b79a87e1.jpgIMG_9116.thumb.jpg.4e749c245fa5dce67018f581debcf9e4.jpg

IMG_9114.thumb.jpg.ff674df7829d6245425bf086c222e672.jpg

My QT for corals are now kept at 1.026 with skimmer and torq reactor. 

Even though there's no fishes in the tub just some cleaner shrimp and abalone but my NYOS skimmer managed to pull out some dirty nutrients too. 

I also kept my wave at the highest to produce flow around the tub.

IMG_9119.thumb.jpg.a27685236c577e11904391a60cdd2450.jpg

I pour all the medias in a pail along with a small pump to seed those medias before starting the tank. I seed it with some FM Bacball.

I also planning to get some acrylic panel for my sump from Dama before filling up my tank with RODI. 

IMG_9124.thumb.jpg.7cdb419a1664581c28b0495c30a202f2.jpgIMG_9126.thumb.jpg.2a2622221d5721956990495818175741.jpg

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter
45 minutes ago, Darren Sim said:

Took the hot sun opportunity to sundry my rocks. *The basket and string is strong enough to hold the weight of the rocks so please don't complain me. :(

IMG_9123.thumb.jpg.809b3de872a20cda9adfc89c88cc46d0.jpg

Its probably not necessary to have the direct sun. Putting in corridor will suffice.

Dun want to see you appear on stomp or newspaper.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

Its probably not necessary to have the direct sun. Putting in corridor will suffice.
Dun want to see you appear on stomp or newspaper.

Haha. I should have but just want to take the Opportunity since got big direct sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just gotten this beautiful KH test kit from RMS to countercheck with my salifet test kit that have been used for very long. 

What I love about this test kit:

- The packaging color

- It comes with a Marinlab certificate with a date stamp

- Comes with a reference solution DKH7.3+- from there you can gauge what is the bright pink color you need to look for to get a better results.

IMG_9159.thumb.jpg.498a23df6086fff1e59ccfa4d5efd982.jpgIMG_9162.thumb.jpg.9d9213c90b031f7ca7fe2b417e8f1a82.jpgIMG_9163.thumb.jpg.ffd4ef4585bba154863a2765c6969e2c.jpgIMG_9164.thumb.jpg.ec2cc205cf103a0f43f2861e1d3df0fb.jpg

I also gotten myself a new coral dip to alternately dip my corals.

Some of the people say this Coral RX is strong and it might hurt the corals if I dip it weekly due to AEFW but I also need another kind of dip to force the AEFW out.

Week 1 - TLF Revive

Week 2 - Coral RX

Week 3 - TLF Revive

Week 4 - Coral RX

IMG_9160.thumb.jpg.ee3b6a5ea3ee98962c7670075ddc2b81.jpgi

should try bayer . it is stronger than RX 

13 hours ago, Darren Sim said:

I also gotten myself a new coral dip to alternately dip my corals.

Some of the people say this Coral RX is strong and it might hurt the corals if I dip it weekly due to AEFW but I also need another kind of dip to force the AEFW out.

Week 1 - TLF Revive

Week 2 - Coral RX

Week 3 - TLF Revive

Week 4 - Coral RX

IMG_9160.thumb.jpg.ee3b6a5ea3ee98962c7670075ddc2b81.jpgi

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

should try bayer . it is stronger than RX 

Yeah. I find Bayer is a good dip option but I would need to order from US. Not available locally from my understanding.

• SRC Supporter

something to share on bayer.
Caution! Harmful by inhalation and if swallowed. Moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing. Avoid breathing spray mist. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling. Highly toxic to aquatic invertebrates. Highly toxic to fish. Highly toxic to bees.
i remember a reefer was sharing that after he did coral in bayer. he notice quite severe effect on his inverts.

Complete-Insect-Killer-SDS.pdf

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

Hi Bro, like your sump piping works. May I know where did you buy your piping materials? Do you do yourself or somebody did for you? Txs

I pour all the medias in a pail along with a small pump to seed those medias before starting the tank. I seed it with some FM Bacball.
I also planning to get some acrylic panel for my sump from Dama before filling up my tank with RODI. 

IMG_9124.thumb.jpg.7cdb419a1664581c28b0495c30a202f2.jpgIMG_9126.thumb.jpg.2a2622221d5721956990495818175741.jpg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Hey Darren. Sorry to hear about the nasty fw. When restarting, you could consider adding several wrasses, a natural method for keeping parasites (if any) in check. Hang in there and all the best bro!

Took this CB period to scape my tank too. Using Alteco Epoxy and finish off with stone fix.

Spent the whole day doing my rockscape. *Tired

Nonetheless it’s quite satisfying to see a decent rockscape.

Sneak preview below. Stay tune for the finalise rockscape in my tank.

bd7e25eeff2ba67fa3b09b5cc13f9416.jpg
50d1fdc117ac6bb6b19d8d4a0df82d4c.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 12:55 AM, ReDDeviLs said:

something to share on bayer.
Caution! Harmful by inhalation and if swallowed. Moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing. Avoid breathing spray mist. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling. Highly toxic to aquatic invertebrates. Highly toxic to fish. Highly toxic to bees.
i remember a reefer was sharing that after he did coral in bayer. he notice quite severe effect on his inverts.

Complete-Insect-Killer-SDS.pdf 123.23 kB · 3 downloads

Thank you bro. Will read up more after using. 

On 5/17/2020 at 8:04 AM, arkal339 said:

Wow. That's like a full reset button. But worth it. All the best emoji106.png

Yup. A full reset button. Thank you.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:32 PM, danano said:

Hey Darren. Sorry to hear about the nasty fw. When restarting, you could consider adding several wrasses, a natural method for keeping parasites (if any) in check. Hang in there and all the best bro!

I used to keep wrasses but it die. Going to buy some wrasse after CB

Nice 2 islands scape, bro.

• Like 1

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

I like the minimalist approach. Loads of negative space allowing fish and corals room to grow, and allowing for access to the corals for husbandry. Placed away from back and has a small footprints allowing loads of flow around the tank and corals. Slight variation in height within each scape allowing for different corals to grow out but not shade out one another too badly. Fish friendly as has places to hide (although maybe too minimal if you have loads of tangs, as they can still see one another so think about stocking and order of placement). Most of rockscape is around 50% of tank height allowing for growth. If anything you could shave off an inch. But that is just being hypercritcal, overall is really really good. Looking forward to seeing the new tank mature out. Good luck.

• Like 1

Indeed a very sad day for me. Lost two of my precious sps. Can’t seem what’s the problem. KH is quite stable. I suspect is nutrients. Even thought there’s no fishes inside but my skimmer still managed to skim something out.

Last week after coral dip my skimmer went crazy and spilt back all the skim mate in the tub. That could be the reason for STN.

08b4a2c2ed30ea55ad0b4fb68b301fb4.jpg

IMG_9348.thumb.jpg.66e4920be847df2c3857d7677e36ec32.jpg

Just finished my last dipping of my corals using Revive. Can really see that my corals are pretty stressed after multiple dipping sessions some of my small frags couldn't make it. Thankfully no flatworm or eggs found.

Corals colour all turned brown. Not really worried about this because colours will come back once your tank is stable with correct parameters. 

Just ordered a Salifert flatworm exit from RMS because of the promotion they're having now. 20% off (test20). 

Gonna start dosing this flatworm exit to my coral tank next week to kill those remaining flatworms before letting my corals rest.

970bd6cf5571b0ec0a45fe148ce3b231.jpg

While waiting for my tank to be ready, I decided to just seed my medias with bacteria (FM Bacteria Ball) with a small pumps to create water movements.

• Like 1

ccdc335279ac22fe77a1ce851dfb8755.jpg

My Flatworm eXit just arrived!

I’m going to use this to treat my AEFW in my tub this weekend.

I hope there won’t be any AEFW crawling out after my diligent dipping over the weeks.

I heard stories that this product is quite effective to a certain extent and AEFW will all crawl out after the first dosing but I’m unsure it will kill those AEFW or only allow us to blow out and siphon out all the AEFW.

Anyone used this product before can clarify?

The bottle contains 250 drops and it can treat 1,250 Liters or 312.5 gallon. For my current tub (300L) i can used up to 4 times. That’s very good imo.

ac094148de0554e1a7ebba6f713503ab.jpg

Another new product I’m trying is this BioDigest (Bacteria) to seed my new tank.

I heard a lot of good reviews for this so I want to give it a try.
30 capsules and the instructions stated to dose 1 capsule every 15 days so that means I can use it for 15 months/1 year 3 months.

Imo I find this is quite economical. Worth for money.