Aiptasia from live rock

• SRC Member

Bought some live rock from Iwarna, three days later there are so many aiptasia in full bloom + 1 majano anemone. Currently trying to vaporise all of them with hydrogen peroxide and syringe directed at them...

My tank is still cycling, so there's no fish/valuable corals in there, but my patience is running out, every day having to pull the rocks out one by one to inject them with peroxide. The worst ones are those really tiny aiptasias that hide in a nook or cranny and then appear 10 mins later after I thought I was done with injecting that rock.

I'm just short of bleaching all my rocks and restarting the tank, and I have already pulled out some of the rocks to dry. For the remaining live rocks that I visually do not see any aiptasia, should I just leave them be or just restart everything? (I'm just thinking if they're all from the same batch, they might all be colonised with aiptasia?)

• SRC Member
Bought some live rock from Iwarna, three days later there are so many aiptasia in full bloom + 1 majano anemone. Currently trying to vaporise all of them with hydrogen peroxide and syringe directed at them...
My tank is still cycling, so there's no fish/valuable corals in there, but my patience is running out, every day having to pull the rocks out one by one to inject them with peroxide. The worst ones are those really tiny aiptasias that hide in a nook or cranny and then appear 10 mins later after I thought I was done with injecting that rock.
I'm just short of bleaching all my rocks and restarting the tank, and I have already pulled out some of the rocks to dry. For the remaining live rocks that I visually do not see any aiptasia, should I just leave them be or just restart everything? (I'm just thinking if they're all from the same batch, they might all be colonised with aiptasia?)
U buy the live rock is because u want to seed the tank or the shape?

I guess u better bleach them all and then use.

U don't know what parasite u rock have.

• SRC Member
27 minutes ago, Indeco said:

U buy the live rock is because u want to seed the tank or the shape?

I guess u better bleach them all and then use.

U don't know what parasite u rock have.

Both for seeding the tank and also because I need the rocks for aquascape. Honestly every other day I'm finding new stuff that appears, and googling every organism that I see, but so far the aiptasia and majano are the only bad ones I've identified.

I'll probably observe for a few more days, if really more and more out of control, I'll take your advice and bleach all of it out...

56 minutes ago, Rashid said:

That's bad man. Hope you recover from this soon. Best of luck

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Thanks bro :)

Dont take the risk. 

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
Thanks bro
Seeding is small thing with the help of baterica solution nowdays.

The problem is now u don't see the problem but u may see it later and then with live stock in is too late liao le.

Just bleach it for the long run.

Take the rock and soak with 10:1 ratio for 1 to 2 days then rinse the rock with dechlorinator. Then let it dry complete and rinse one more time.

Just take about 1 week only.

Solving problem with live stock will be 10 times more effort compare to now.

• SRC Member

Alright bros, bleach it is then, you've convinced me...

The thing is, I have other dead rockwork (previously dried out) that is together with it in the tank, but not from Iwarna. It still looks barren and there is nothing on it as it has only been in the tank for about 1 week. Should I leave it in there or take every single piece of rock and sand out of the tank to bleach? 

• SRC Member
And also, what about my pumps, piping, tank, sump and all the rest? The live rocks has been in the tank for only about 3 days.
If u want to be safe u bleach all the rock you have and biological media that you put at the sump.

For the sand can't do much but should be ok.

After u put back the rocks and media just use seachem prime to remove any possible leak.

Then u need to go for at least 76 days fishless cycle.

This is to kill all the parasites that is bring in by ur live rock.

While u cycle, quarantine your fish and coral.

It may sound alot of work but if u dont get it right at the beginning then price to pay at the end normally is give up this hobby.

I so regret never do proper QT and now my tank got ich.

If I add any tang in I need to worry will my tank crush or not.