Reef w/o Chiller

MrArrogant08

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried keep corals without chiller. Lost some soft corals and they never look happy. After adding a chiller, colours look much better and algae problem somehow solved as well. Do it once, do it right. Else you will end up sick of this hobby imo. 

• SRC Member
Add more air bubbles to let the water temperature go down

Better to use a Wavemaker or powerhead and direct it slightly towards the surface to create more water agitation. Air bubbles are fine for saltwater but the rapid salt spray from a bubbler will eventually corrode everything around your tank

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 2 months later...

If ur ambient temperature is cool, it is possible. Otherwise I have used iced bottles in the ios during my beginning years. Of course the temperature won't be consistent. So not ideal. Just remember that marine keeping is not difficult. It is only about keeping as many parameters as consistent as possible. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Is it possible? Yes. Have people produced great tanks without it? Possibly. Does NOT having a chiller make reefing easier? Nope, not at all!

Not sure if you have noticed but this amazing country can get a little warm, and as such it is important to protect our corals and livestock against the heat and the changes in heat throughout the day. Whilst you can select warm water varieties if you want to get into reefing without making concessions as to your livestock then get a chiller. There are some great deals for chillers on this forum so whilst I am far from the 'chiller police' I would highly recommend them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I set my chiller to kick in at 30deg, and cool down to 28.5deg for my 4ft tank.

For the past few months it didn't even turn on, because the weather was relatively cool. Only few days ago when the weather started getting hotter then my chiller turns on once per day for 1.5 hours. Rest of the time it remains off.

All my corals are growing, no deaths.

So if you're concerned about electrical bills, this would be a much more economical solution.