New to this hobby. Any recommendation for a AIO tank?

Hi, I'm new to this hobby and I've been reading up in the recent weeks on nano reefs, salt water tanks etc, planning to get a tank this weekend and also the things to start off with. Here's what I plan to have, a pair of clownfish, life rocks, and 1-2 corals, of course not all at once.

With cost into consideration, I've narrowed both to these 2 tanks, Nuvo 10 or OF Nano 3?

Which would you guys recommend and why? considering budget as well.

Also, what are some of the things I have to get to start besides live sand, live rock, test kit, salt mix? 

• SRC Member

Welcome to the world of saltwater reefs, hope it goes well. Do check out BRSTV on youtube as they have a new 5min tutorial series aimed at the new reefer, as well as Dr Tim Hovenac MACNA presentation on cycling a tank (also on youtube). Personally I would go with as big as tank as I could and with a sump (use this forum to find a good deal on second hand equipment) bigger tanks are more stable but can also fit in utility fish like yellow tang.. but I assume you have already considered all that, so back to your question... If I was to choose, I would go with the nuvo 10. I had one of these ages ago. It has more standard options for installing equipment (skimmer, media basket). Feel it would also have better resale value. As to what else you need... refractometer (Check on lazada or if possible the new hanna pen is a good option), some form of temperature control (inkbird?), some form of auto top off as evaporation can cause instability not to mention lack of water haha. And finally a good light (ai prime, kessil or my favorite the xr15 pro, all would be good options as in future if you upgrade they can still be used with hybrid options like the aquatic life, or as part of a multi puck set up on a bigger tank). note the light, temp control and ato can be added later after tank cycled. Good luck.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, FluvalEvo said:

INNOVATIVE MARINE - NUVO CONCEPT - ABYSS PANORAMA DROP-OFF

i think madpetz is selling at $300

cant speak for other products, but if you prefer something smaller, im using the fluval evo. Nice tank and easy to manage.

Ah yes, I think I saw them post on their Facebook too, but I don’t really like the shape of it. As of now, I’m quite set on the Nuvo 20... May I ask, what lights are you currently using? 

• SRC Member

Im using the stock light that comes with the tank. So far all my lps (gonio, torch. cynarina, open brain and duncan) are doing well under it.

The only thing i dont like about the stock light is that it cannot be program. So it is useless when you need to go away for a few days. I've tried using switch with timer but it doesnt solve the problem as the white light will always come on first. Need to tap again for blue light.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:30 AM, R0B said:

Welcome to the world of saltwater reefs, hope it goes well. Do check out BRSTV on youtube as they have a new 5min tutorial series aimed at the new reefer, as well as Dr Tim Hovenac MACNA presentation on cycling a tank (also on youtube). Personally I would go with as big as tank as I could and with a sump (use this forum to find a good deal on second hand equipment) bigger tanks are more stable but can also fit in utility fish like yellow tang.. but I assume you have already considered all that, so back to your question... If I was to choose, I would go with the nuvo 10. I had one of these ages ago. It has more standard options for installing equipment (skimmer, media basket). Feel it would also have better resale value. As to what else you need... refractometer (Check on lazada or if possible the new hanna pen is a good option), some form of temperature control (inkbird?), some form of auto top off as evaporation can cause instability not to mention lack of water haha. And finally a good light (ai prime, kessil or my favorite the xr15 pro, all would be good options as in future if you upgrade they can still be used with hybrid options like the aquatic life, or as part of a multi puck set up on a bigger tank). note the light, temp control and ato can be added later after tank cycled. Good luck.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this! Yes i've been watching the 5min videos from BRS daily hahaha learning quite a bit from them. Anyway i've decided to go ahead with a Nuvo 20 instead. Been reading up and more or less know what are the stuff i want. Now for the media basket, I notice there's 3 layers? what should i fill in them, does the order of the filter matter?