Need some advice...

Hi reefers! Need some advice from the shi fu's in this community.

I will be taking in a second-hand 4ft tank from another reefer who decided to decomm. After viewing the tank today, i am satisfied with its build quality and structure. However, it does require some cleaning. Thus, i would like to ask a few questions:

1. What is the best way to remove rust on wood? There are a few spots of rust inside the cabinet and i wish to remove them.

2. How to remove those remaining double-sided foam tape residue on wood? Owner used the double sided foam tape to stick controllers on the side of the tank, and when he pulled off the controllers, there were remaining foam tape residues on the wood.

3. How to remove the water, dirt spots and calcium deposits on the tank?

4. When hiring tank movers, will they drain the remaining bit of water left in the tank? The owner has removed everything that he possibly could. Just left that few inches of water which the pump couldnt suck up.

5. How to remove the sand and detritus on the bottom of the tank? Owner has removed the most he can but still left abit on the bottom. Any advice other than vacuuming.

6. Are there people out there doing tank restoration in terms of what i just mentioned. Cleaning and making the tank look new again. Am aware that some places such as iwarna offer tank maintenance. Not sure if it consists of scrubbing rust out of cabinet haha.

Any help or advice would be appreciated from fellow reefers and do share with me your experience with buying second hand tanks and how you refurbish them to make them look good again! Thanks all!

• SRC Member

Assuming you totally want to remove the sand, when the movers comes over to pickup, have them tilt the tank and run some bucket of water over a drain. ;) Hope this helps.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Removing stubborn Cal deposits.. citric acid or household imitation vinegar. ;)

3 minutes ago, ryanlio said:

Removing stubborn Cal deposits.. citric acid or household imitation vinegar. ;)

Thanks ryanlio for your advice! the tank is eurobraced so unfortunately running water over a tilted tank wont be able to get rid of the remaining sand. Probably will have to resort to vacuuming the sand.

• SRC Member

Point 5. What I did was to use those square disposable containers to scoop up the remaining water and sand.

After the sand has been removed, I use a towel to soak up the water. Gotta soak, wring, soak, wring a couple of times, but u can remove all the water from the tank.

• SRC Member

I say to get in touch with movers.. 4ft is nothing to them.. they probably will turn over the tank.. run some water inside.. what's left probably will be negligible. default_wink.png

8 hours ago, longipods said:

Point 5. What I did was to use those square disposable containers to scoop up the remaining water and sand.

After the sand has been removed, I use a towel to soak up the water. Gotta soak, wring, soak, wring a couple of times, but u can remove all the water from the tank.

Good idea! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...