HELP! Got tingling in my finger when touching water & Coral not opening

Zof

Hey guys,

I am pretty new to this hobbits with struggling on water parameter and care to keep a corals happy on my own. Recently my hammer corals suddenly not opening up, cauliflower melting.

When I put my finger in I got tingling shock in my finger when touching the water. I test with multimeter on AC. Black probe on ground and red probe to the water. It shown 0 on the meter. But when I put my finger in the water, 12V shown on the meter. I have unplugged all items (skimmer,light,2xAC pump) and turn on 1 by 1. Each item has less than 4V shown on the meter. I feel nothing when I turn on individually. Until I plugged all the 4 item. Which shown 16V on the meter. Understand that its a stray/induced voltage passing through from our body to ground. Should I be worry about it? Would it be the cause of coral not opening/dying?

Hopefully, I can get some help from expertise here. Kind of struggled to see coral dying.

My parameter

Temp:27degree celsius

PH: 8.1

Calcium:420

Magnesium:1440

Alk:9

Ammonia:0ppm

Nitrite:0ppm

Nitrate:40ppm

Phosphate:0ppm

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Thank For Your Reply@equiox.

I have test all equipments With multimeter. All equipments shown significant AC voltage as low as 2~4 for each equipments. It dun feel tingling when a pump turn on only or any of the 4 equipments turn on separately.

I only feel tingling when turn on all equipments which shown 16V on the meter.
Itz normal?

• SRC Member

I had this issue twice.

Once was from an old pump I used to mix my water/salt.  Tingling sensation when I touch the water.

The other was a bit of a mystery to me.  It was from my LED light. Mystery because no part of the Light was touching the water.  Only the Clamp Holder was touching the Tank Glass, not water.  Still I felt the electricity when I touch the tank water, or the light.  But all livestock was doing ok.

I guess you really need to explore every single equipment, regardless if its in contact with the tank/water/glass.

• SRC Member
7 hours ago, Zof said:

Thank You for helping me. I found out what cause the tingling shock is cause by my chiller. Will be Replacing the chiller.

R using a 2 pin hailea chiller? 

If it is so, convert it to 3 pin plug. It should sort the problem. 

Follow my instagram at https://www.instagram.com/reefparadisez

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Just by converting the plug to 3 pin won't work. Because if there's only 2 wire you will need to open apart the chiller, use a nut to secure a wire to a metal portion(ground) inside the chiller and attached to a 3 pin plug. This will result in having a grounding. As a electrician hope it doesn't sound very complicated. 

• Like 1