Sea hare / tuxido urchin

So a tux is a better choice. But currently i cannot seem to find any lfs that has a tux urchin. Blue or red tux it dosent really matter right?

sea hare good at eating gha but seems short lifespan, urchin is good but they like to keep putting stuff around on their back etc snail shells coral frags, my urchin got gsp living on it lol..

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

i only have exp with blue tux, red tux is bigger rite? my opinion is go with smaller one to prevent bull dozing. i got my blue tux from FNM last time, think they periodically will have stock. For sea hare, my last one sudden died on me even though still got lots of algae to eat, maybe algae diet no diversity.. maybe other reefers can share their exp.

• SRC Member

if you have many loose frags, avoid urchins.. not gonna deny they’re probably one of the best cuc to tackle an algae infestation though. they eat more varieties(including gha) than the standard algae-eating snails. bigger ones will also feast on coralline algae(if that matters to you)

Sea hares... i think if your tank has fish that tend to pick on slow-moving inverts it’s best not to place them in the same space. some species are also toxic and might mess with your water parameters when stressed/if they die

• Like 1

All my frags are glued so i guess its safe. N sea harentoxic if die? Those normal brown;ones?

if you have many loose frags, avoid urchins.. not gonna deny they’re probably one of the best cuc to tackle an algae infestation though. they eat more varieties(including gha) than the standard algae-eating snails. bigger ones will also feast on coralline algae(if that matters to you)

Sea hares... i think if your tank has fish that tend to pick on slow-moving inverts it’s best not to place them in the same space. some species are also toxic and might mess with your water parameters when stressed/if they die

• SRC Member
All my frags are glued so i guess its safe. N sea harentoxic if die? Those normal brown;ones?

From what I know their toxins aren’t as potent as some other marine creatures. but if you have a small system I would be wary. perhaps with activated carbon running it wouldn’t be an issue at all even in smaller water volumes.

• SRC Member
What CUC is good at cleaning brown algae on the surface of the sand?

gong-gong(conch snails)! these things are surprisingly fast and move the substrate around too. really underrated cuc imo. nassarius snails are great too but if there are large portions of the sand covered in brown algae their small size won’t help much.

• SRC Member
Got risk they go into the wave maker and nuke the tank?

be wary stocking up on sea cucumbers too bro, when they die they are also fairly toxic and will release unwanted toxins into the water. nothing as potent as something like a member of the pufferfish family but it might still be an issue especially if you have more sensitive fish/corals in your system

• Like 1

• SRC Member
gong-gong(conch snails)! these things are surprisingly fast and move the substrate around too. really underrated cuc imo. nassarius snails are great too but if there are large portions of the sand covered in brown algae their small size won’t help much.

Bro where to get conch snail? never see before in LFS.

I brought nassarius snails but not much help and die pretty fast.

Hahah gong gong for me i boil n eat shiok sia. Never had thm in my tank b4. Mayb cn giv it a try

• SRC Member
be wary stocking up on sea cucumbers too bro, when they die they are also fairly toxic and will release unwanted toxins into the water. nothing as potent as something like a member of the pufferfish family but it might still be an issue especially if you have more sensitive fish/corals in your system

yap I tried to avoid sea cucumbers and sea hare. Got a reefer share with me how his tank crushed when the cucumber went into the wave maker.

Got think of abalone but don't know effective or not.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Actually I have 2 of them in my Redsea Nano Reefer for 2 years le. They are good Cleaners though. I have heard of them being toxic when the die but so far so good.

Sent from
JJtheReefer