Tunze Care Magnet series VS Flipper series

soggycookies

• SRC Member

Greetings reefers,

What are some of your thoughts and opinions on these 2 higher end magnet cleaners? I have personally never had a flipper magnet cleaner but am currently using a Tunze Care Magnet strong+ on my 300G.

Here are some of the pros & cons after using it on a 300G 3/4” glass tank:

PROS

- able to clean tougher algae(including coralline) off without needing to manually scrape with a blade

- able to manoeuvre tight corners safely with less stress to silicone

- magnet is so strong, it navigates from one panel of glass to the next without falling off in the process

- small form factor on both wet and dry side means less distracting from viewing display + able to fit more snugly in scenarios where it might be used at the back of the tank

CONS

- small form factor coupled with very strong magnet means poor external grip on the dry side of the magnet, making it a hassle to use for day-to-day film algae that grows faster and covers a larger surface area of the glass

- doesn’t float whatsoever

- even the larger, longer blade is pretty small on a 6x3x2.5ft tank and along with the poor handling grip makes cleaning off day-to-day algae on the glass feel like it takes longer than it should

Hope others who have the various versions of the Tunze Care magnets can correlate some of these points.

More importantly, I’d like to learn from others who have used the flipper exclusively, and especially from those who have used both Tunze and Flipper magnet cleaners(or other brands) which they think is better, as I’m thinking of switching to a Flipper Max. I’ve heard that the flipper max is much easier to use on a daily basis.

My main concern though, is that I have Hawaiian Black sand that has some magnetic properties as my substrate and worry using other types of magnet cleaners other than the Tunze Care line would jeopardise my glass when sand is trapped in between the magnet cleaner and the glass(already have a few scratches from an old magfloat that i used for a few months that trapped sand in the velcro and raked some sand across parts of my glass resulting in a couple of pretty awful scratches)

Thoughts and experience using these cleaners would by much appreciated.

Cheers and happy reefing everyone.

Stay safe during the ‘Rona.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

I have used both the flipper and tunze. Flipper is no doubt a really really really good magnet. I ended up just using the smoth scraper side and not the scratch and go side so kinda didn't get the full benefit. However, over time I started using the tunze more and more because of the double sided scraper action. Which allowed me to navigate more easily around my mp40's. Plus I never had any issue with scratching which I did with the flipper (user error). Now, I know tunze has just come out with a grip and float system that can clip onto the tunze magnet making it easier to use. Not sure when that will hit the singapore market.

Now for the hijacking part.... the best magnet I have both form a usability and an aesthetic point of view (imho) is a piranha float magnet. I just like that wooden grip as it contrasts against the clean lines of the tank. Now a magnet I wish I had purchased and regret not getting it when I saw one was a COVE magnet. Just some other options for you. Haha.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Thanks for the insight Rob. Doubt it will be anytime soon that the new model of tunze magnet cleaner will be available here considering everything going on lately.

Is the piranha magnet cleaner you were referring to by algaefree? heard about one called the great white before.. from what you’re describing about the wood finish they sound very similar.

Appreciate the suggestions. And yeah, what I like most about the tunze care magnet is using it for the stubborn calcareous algae before they get even harder to remove. Perhaps i’ll invest in a flipper magnet for easier routine cleaning.

Cheers

• SRC Member
just to add on, the flipper rough pad will grow GHA easily, its a grazing point for my tangs and foxface lol, not sure its good or bad thing haha

if GHA had to grow anywhere i’d rather it grow there than anywhere else in the tank so i think it’s a win hahahaha

• Like 1

• SRC Member
Thanks for the insight Rob. Doubt it will be anytime soon that the new model of tunze magnet cleaner will be available here considering everything going on lately.

Is the piranha magnet cleaner you were referring to by algaefree? heard about one called the great white before.. from what you’re describing about the wood finish they sound very similar.

Appreciate the suggestions. And yeah, what I like most about the tunze care magnet is using it for the stubborn calcareous algae before they get even harder to remove. Perhaps i’ll invest in a flipper magnet for easier routine cleaning.

Cheers

Yep is by Algea Free. They have a range; the Piranah, the hammerhead and the great white Haha, based on size and glass thickness. Certainly are awesome magnets for sure.

• Like 1