What DIY projects have you been upto?

R0B

• SRC Member

Since we are all safely quarantined at home I wonder what DIY projects my fellow reefers have been up to?

To start you off I thought I would share my DIY ATS.

I wanted a small ATS to fit on my sump and supplement a refugium and weight for weight an ATS will remove more nitrates.

Here is the cut list...(pic1)

5mm Black Acrylic

• 210mm x 200mm (qty 1 for base. Mine was 150mm wide as I only planned on using one light due to my needs)

• 100mm x 170mm (qty 2 for sides)

• 100mm x 210mm (qty 1 for lid)

• 150mm x 10mm (qty 2 for support rails)

4.5mm polycarbonate solid clear transparent  

• 200mm x 170mm (qty 2 for windows)

• 199mm x 79mm (qty 1 optional for lid)

Cost of materials was around $25 from Dama. Sales@dama.com.sg (ask for Yuki)

I also picked up a 20w grow light from shopee $19 each.

Then I needed some plumbing (pic2) cost was around $20. For my design I was going to have the water drain down into sump, so I wanted two drainage holes. One would be for main drainage and the other will have a taller pipe inside for emergency drainage.

Pics 3 shows the diamond drill bit I used to make the holes and pic 4 the construction of the base using acrylic glue. The light will sit on the lip and the tank connectors are used to screw into the base for drainage (you could always have it come out of a side wall)

Pic 5 is final construction. I used a 16mm pipe for the spray bar. Drilled in a few holes and added some knitting material for the GHA to grow.

Pic 6... that lovely pink glow! Hopefully the GHA will be growing soon. Hmmm just have to finish the tank now hahaha.

Anyways, what have you reefers been upto in Circuit Breaker??20200326_202019.jpeg20200327_142014.jpeg20200327_144413.jpeg20200327_163646.jpeg20200327_191008.jpeg20200413_195123.jpeg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 4

• SRC Member
Nice.. but you want to also be concerned with salt spray on that light. Those anodized aluminum body of that light may corrode when exposed to too much salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is a good point. I will spray the light body in an anti rust paint I have, but I agree it will no doubt eventually rust irrespective. What I could build is a polycarbonate box and effectively gut the light and place into that shell. You can actually just buy the compact leds.... mount them on an aluminium heat sink and add a computer fan for active cooling. Thanks. Screenshot_20200326-214931_Chrome.jpeg

• SRC Member

Next project: 3D printed a shade for my KESSIL H380 out of some Carbon Fibre filament. I designed the shade to hold a little 2mm diffuser plate, which a little piece of clear polycarbonate I wet sanded. I used polycarbonate as it won't warp if it gets hot (unlike acrylic). The idea is that this helps reduce the light spilling over into the sump and reduces the intensity as so I dont destroy the macroalgae.

I picked up the Ender 3, 3D printer at cash converters for just $39 Bargin!. I do have a few ideas on what to print next for the tank but happy to hear any suggestions??

Happy DIY reefing!20200415_143559.jpeg20200415_143621.jpeg20200415_143659.jpeg20200415_145408.jpeg

• Like 1

Did you 3D print it with abs or hybrid filament. For pla and Petg they can deform easily over prolong period of heat. Pla material is organic, if in contact to salt water it may leak.. which is bad for your tank. Otherwise light fixture should be find as long as it doesn’t come in contact with water. Haha

• Like 1

Also make sure your layering is 0.1mm or below to ensure better fuse from layer to layer. Infill 20% above. Overtime, poor layering can result in cracks. I experience this myself, thinking I can shorten the print time. Using a wider nozzle can help create a more solids part. 0.5mm is great. Save time too!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Aanother DIY ATS!

So this is a different design of ATS so that the lights are enclosed, so no chance of rust or anything. Using strips of grow lights mixed with some cool whites that I picked up from Sim Lim Tower, I connected them to a temperature regulator circuit which switches off the 12v power if things get too hot within the light compartments. I also added in some air circulating fans to the boards on which the lights sit. These boards allow for the lights to be easily removed for maintenance. I took some measurements with my Seneye and it registered around 210 PAR from one side (seneye only points in one direction haha) so I guess that means the centre will get over 400 PAR which should be more then enough to grow the GHA. The plumbing is not yet done as Covid19 CB rightfully put a halt on the shopping trip to the plumbing shop.

The GHA grows on a mesh screen which will spill into a pull out clear acrylic box. This should mean that cleaning is really easy as you dont have to remove everything. Just unscrew one pvc union and pop out the box!

I accidentally made the unit 1cm too big for my sump DOH! So I am giving this unit away to a nice reefer (there may be some drag involved haha). So as we figure out how they are going to have the unit installed I can adjust the plumbing so it either drains from the bottom or the top.

I started to 3D print a connector for some soft plumbing. I have the connector installed on the other ATS I built. Then ran out of filament so only managed the internal part.

Acrylic was from DAMA near UBI mrt station. I find their prices good and their service is top notch. Is great to support a local business.

Anyways let's hope we can get this installed soon. 20200409_141204.jpeg20200409_141214.jpeg20200409_141305.jpeg20200409_141655.jpeg20200503_092753.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...