noobzpro's Reefer 350

noobzpro

Hi everybody!

Have been reefing for about 3 years with only pico-nano tanks. This is my first big jump into a large tank with sump. Let's see how it goes!

Tank will be a mixed reef. Tank arrived a day before CB. Thanks to specialized aquatics on rushing the order for me! Happy reefing everybody and stay safe!

67c87216-0a87-4b59-bd43-6b3fbd6c71be.jpg

Edited by noobzpro

11 minutes ago, Darren Sim said:

Very sleek and beautiful tank. Can’t wait to see your rock scape!

Are you intending to change the sump or remain the original sump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey there! Thanks alot. Will post the Rockscape later on, tank has been cycling for about a week already. Sump will stay the same for now until i can get a friend to bring in for me a Crystal Reef Aquatics sump in future. For now its my first sump tank setup so will be learning more about it and see what needs tweaking.

Hey there! Thanks alot. Will post the Rockscape later on, tank has been cycling for about a week already. Sump will stay the same for now until i can get a friend to bring in for me a Crystal Reef Aquatics sump in future. For now its my first sump tank setup so will be learning more about it and see what needs tweaking.

Great! Probably you can show us what equipments you using and what you intending to keep for this tank.

Ok so for equipment list so far.

5 Stage RODI with booster

Skimz QuietPro QP9.0 DC Submersible Water Pump

Jebao SLW-20 x2

CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink x2

CaribSea Life Rock 40lbs

Tropic Marin Pro Reef

Plans:

Marinepure or Maxspect Nano (still undecided)

Bubble Magus curve 5 for 1/2year before going Nyos 120/160 (reason being initial bioload very low)

Radion XR15G5 Blue x2 (only after 6 months plan to run lightless for now)

Gyre Pumps x2

Kesill H80 for refugium

56a84b51-24b1-498e-8c9b-9dbc65e2f880.jpg

• Like 1

It is always exciting during tank setup phrase. Enjoy ur Reefing journey!! 

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member
Ok so for equipment list so far. 5 Stage RODI with booster Skimz QuietPro QP9.0 DC Submersible Water Pump

Jebao SLW-20 x2

CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink x2

CaribSea Life Rock 40lbs

Tropic Marin Pro Reef

Plans:

Marinepure or Maxspect Nano (still undecided)

Bubble Magus curve 5 for 1/2year before going Nyos 120/160 (reason being initial bioload very low)

Radion XR15G5 Blue x2 (only after 6 months plan to run lightless for now)

Gyre Pumps x2

Kesill H80 for refugium

56a84b51-24b1-498e-8c9b-9dbc65e2f880.thumb.jpg.10fd5a56ad74fb6888fa9da63d54bf58.jpg

always exciting to setup a new system! for the media, if you’re getting the blocks, personally i find that it benefits greatly if you can fit marinepure in an area with low flow. it’s very porous(which is better for more bacteria housing) but also brittle, so imo it’s not ideal in an area with generous flow.

marinepure media are more brittle(both spheres & blocks) than maxspect’s from what I know, so perhaps a combi of maxspect nano biospheres in an area with higher flow and marine pure blocks in an area with lower flow?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

On 4/21/2020 at 9:19 AM, zander said:

Wow that’s nice, I also want to purchase a 350 but now they can’t deliveremoji24.png wanna know if the amount of rock and sand is enough for your size, was keeping research how much do I need to setup. Pls show more pics!!!!!

i will update soon been busy lately! tank currently cycling for 3 weeks already....based on reef2reef reseraches. those who use caribsea life rock and sand just need to submerge in saltwater for 2 weeks and cycle is ready for fishes

On 4/27/2020 at 2:26 AM, munlok said:

Great bro. Welcome to red sea 350 family. I’m enjoy setup my new tank. Hope you too. Remember to take care your cable management too.

Thanks bro! Cables currently anyhow throw. Waiting for CB to be over go ikea to buy raw materials to make a control center with apex.

On 4/27/2020 at 1:40 PM, soggycookies said:

always exciting to setup a new system! for the media, if you’re getting the blocks, personally i find that it benefits greatly if you can fit marinepure in an area with low flow. it’s very porous(which is better for more bacteria housing) but also brittle, so imo it’s not ideal in an area with generous flow.

marinepure media are more brittle(both spheres & blocks) than maxspect’s from what I know, so perhaps a combi of maxspect nano biospheres in an area with higher flow and marine pure blocks in an area with lower flow?

Haha yes aside for the waiting part. Though 3 weeks has passed since getting the tank wet. It's ready for fishes after a water change. My concern with marinepure is more of the AL leeching reported by reef2reef, so trying to play it safe. Have ordered maxspect bioballs and brightwell aquatics xport bio bricks to try this time.

• SRC Member
Haha yes aside for the waiting part. Though 3 weeks has passed since getting the tank wet. It's ready for fishes after a water change. My concern with marinepure is more of the AL leeching reported by reef2reef, so trying to play it safe. Have ordered maxspect bioballs and brightwell aquatics xport bio bricks to try this time.

yeah the aluminium possibly leeching from marinepure is definitely a concern especially for more sensitive coral. what fish & coral are you looking to stock up on?

42 minutes ago, soggycookies said:

yeah the aluminium possibly leeching from marinepure is definitely a concern especially for more sensitive coral. what fish & coral are you looking to stock up on?

Hmm stocking list haven't decided fully, but will be a mixed reef though

2 clownfish

1 yellow tang

1 blue tang

1 purple tang

1 gem tang (maybe)

1 flame angel

1 emperor angel

1 firefish

Need some ideas for CUC & maybe more utilitarian to keep my sand white and clean

Corals need guidance and recommendation too. As of now not a SPS person. Like more moving and colorful corals.

• SRC Member
Hmm stocking list haven't decided fully, but will be a mixed reef though

2 clownfish

1 yellow tang

1 blue tang

1 purple tang

1 gem tang (maybe)

1 flame angel

1 emperor angel

1 firefish

Need some ideas for CUC & maybe more utilitarian to keep my sand white and clean

Corals need guidance and recommendation too. As of now not a SPS person. Like more moving and colorful corals.

for CUC and to keep your sand looking clean, i’d go for nassarius snails in a smaller system, or conch(gong-gong) snails in a larger one. You could also go for a sand-sifting goby that isn’t a finicky eater species(like a diamond goby) if you don’t plan to also keep a bristletooth(ctenochaetus) tang like a kole tang. IME these guys are extremely aggressive towards anything that resembles an algae blenny, even gobies. for their size, their aggression is quite surprising sometimes.

another thing to keep in mind is.. when stocking angels that aren’t from the genus genicanthus, there’s definitely gonna be a lot of trial-and-error in compatibility with the majority of coral except sps. In my experience zoas are the most likely to be eaten, followed by acans, scolys, lobos and sometimes star polyps. so you might wanna reconsider that emperor angel of your goal is a mixed reef.

i managed to keep a blue-ring angel in my reeftank but decided to roll only with softies like leathers(fingers, trees, colt and toadstools), gsp, clove polyps, xenia and mushrooms. in the beginning it cleared an entire 20x20cm rock of cheap zoas and some

acan frags I had in less than 2 months and nipped the one torch coral i had till it receded and died. thankfully it didn’t touch any of my other coral.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...