yakh0o's Reefing Journey

yakh0o

Hi, sharing my Reefing Journey to participant the "Stay Home, Stay Safe Reef At Home contest".

I am start my fish keeping hobby since primary school by keeping longkang fish in Ovaltine glass container and it become a fever! I used to owned a 4 feet cichlid tank in living room, one 3 feet tanks keeping koi and lampang fishes and a 2 feet tanks outside my house, and a 4 feet silver arowana tank at roof top during secondary school. I forced to decom the other 3 tanks and keep the 4 feet cichlid tank only after leaving my house to study at another state, and decom the cichlid tank after working in Singapore.

After I own my house in Sg,  I start my first marine nano tank in 2016 because finally I got a place to continue this hobby. This is the 1st marine nano tank.

It is a budget 45cmx30cmx30cm tank with a China brand slim filter, a Dolphin blue and white light and a fan only.

Due to the small tank, I am using polyfilter as the main filter to maintain and water quality and do 10% water change weekly

During that time, i kept only nemo, blue tank, damsel and anemone. Water evaporation is the main challenge to me because of using fan to cool down the water temp.

created_image_1587820281354.thumb.png.e1d0ce6ae8abbeae4d058035e191c7bd.png

created_image_1587820468282.thumb.png.15b67ea4c7869151c407615f3aeba701.png

This is my favorite clown fish. They are common, but they are very cute!

created_image_1587824739444.thumb.png.ee4a9b1e717240a3fb884f167ffaff08.png

Edited by yakh0o

After 1.5 years, I upgraded to a 2 feet tank which bought from Clementi LFS. It is a China brand which within my budget.

My equipment upgraded to:

Tank: 60cmx53cmx36cm round corner tank

Filter: Ehiem 250 canister

Overflow: Reef Octopus overflow box

Sump: using the previous 45x30x30 tank as sump

Filter: 1 Marine pure block and poly-filter

Light: 36w Nemolight

Chiller: Hailea HC-28a (2nd hand)

Wave maker: SOBO

Skimmer: Bubble Magus QQ2 (previously use China Resun slim skimmer)

During that time, most of my marine fish and coral knowledge learn from Sea Life aquarium, the uncle and aunty share a lot of knowledge to me. And start from that time, I always explore the LFS in Singapore (FNM, a marine shop near Clementi Mosque but now no more, Ah Beng, Pinnacle Aquatics) by MRT and walking.

Damn happy seeing my fish getting a bigger space to swim. :yahoo:

2 rooms HDB 

20180117_000417.thumb.jpg.ea07470a0098741455adcb7161653b85.jpg

20180304_220943.thumb.jpg.ec937b0abdc904cfe1be070f308bbe36.jpg

20180121_194723.thumb.jpg.2d7150ea948d73abbbf368c970df7b62.jpg

Upgraded to 3 rooms HDB :P

20180520_230401.thumb.jpg.ac8a0d8b767256f1ce328e9498598971.jpg

• Like 1

Happily enjoy my new tank for almost 4 months, but nightmare happen....

One day when I reached home, my wife and I saw .......how come there are water mark at outside the door.

At that time I still don't know what happen, thinking the cleaner washing the floor and flush and water into my house.

When I opened the door, ........oh...........my .......god..... :shock:  the living room filled the smell of the dead fish....

20180527_174744.thumb.jpg.65f15224b0549f35079d08d8811812d2.jpg

My fishes already dead, and coral already dried.....and it is really smelly in the house... Luckily my wife never scold me, in fact she know I am very sad and then cleaning the house with me together.....

After cleaning the floor, I am also quickly mix new salt water,  try to save any creature in the tank, I still put my coral to the new salt water hope any miracle could happen. But all the fishes already dead. :cry2:

Here is the photo showing the big big big crack on the corner......

20180527_174738_1.thumb.jpg.f482952b27a447c1511cb070e6966e0c.jpg

• SRC Member

One day when I reached home, my wife and I saw .......how come there are water mark at outside the door.

At that time I still don't know what happen, thinking the cleaner washing the floor and flush and water into my house.

When I opened the door, ........oh...........my .......god..... default_shocked.gif  the living room filled the smell of the dead fish....

My fishes already dead, and coral already dried.....and it is really smelly in the house... Luckily my wife never scold me, in fact she know I am very sad and then cleaning the house with me together.....

After cleaning the floor, I am also quickly mix new salt water,  try to save any creature in the tank, I still put my coral to the new salt water hope any miracle could happen. But all the fishes already dead. default_cry.gif

thanks for sharing even though the experiences weren’t all rosy bro. it takes courage to show the side of this hobby nobody tends to share out of fear of judgment. we all make mistakes along the way. what is important is that we learn from them and come out of it even wiser and with improved aquarium-keeping default_smile.png

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 2

• SRC Member
When I opened the door, ........oh...........my .......god..... :shock:  the living room filled the smell of the dead fish....
After cleaning the floor, I am also quickly mix new salt water,  try to save any creature in the tank, I still put my coral to the new salt water hope any miracle could happen. But all the fishes already dead. :cry2:

Bro, have similar experience, but its my Nano IOS flexible return hose for chiller detach onto the floor due to not secure properly , my floor all wet had to spend whole evening cleaning and mopping, but luckily i only had 2 clownfish inside and they survived. This hobby has a steep learning curve with lots of ups and downs dont give up and enjoy the journey!

Thank you @soggycookies for the encouragement. Yes, I never give up, in fact I quickly went back to the shop at the same night and get another new tank from the same shop. I told the boss about the incident and she also feel shock, but she can't figure out the reason. End up the price of the new tank is 75% of the price of the previous set (tank+stand).

Hi @Otaku Reefer, I had the similar experience when I got my first tank when I young. The water overflow from the chiller pipe due to the pipe placed too deep to the tank. When I offed the pump, the water overflow back to the sump and then tank water flow from living from to kitchen. No joke, after 20 yrs, sometime it still happen in my dream, my tank water overflow / leak and the water flooding the floor....:sick:

Below is the photo after replaced the tank and slowly added back the coral and fishes. Luckily all the equipment do not spoil when the tank running out of water.

The leather (top), the hammer (bottom), snails and hermit crab are the survivors from the crash.

created_image_1587822055264.thumb.png.f086cf922cf724559d22ac6ab8a2292a.png

This new tank is 60cmx45cmx45cm 10mm crystal clear glass. The quality really look different. One thing I realize although algae grow on the glass, but it can easily remove. Whereas the glass of the cheaper tank is harder to clean, feel like the surface is not that smooth and algae could grow and stick on the glass.

created_image_1587822312153.thumb.png.045b67fefd385368fcf1337967aba695.png

By the way, thinking that all the thing back to normal?

The story still continue, something that you can't expect happen....

Nice read and sharing of ur experience. 

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Thanks Admiraltian, hope you enjoy my sharing.

Let's continue the story.....

It is quite normal we scratch/injure our hand during the maintenance job. One day I went to a LFS and saw newly arrived GSP.

The uncle told me get it only next day, because he haven't clean the GSP, those GSP from wild could be very dirty. But I am lazy to come to the LFS again, so I just  bought it and ask the uncle how to clean the GSP when I bring it back home.

So once I reach home, I followed his instruction to dip the GSP with fresh water (after adjusted the temp and ph) with bare hand and then put the GSP into my tank. But after that time, I realize the tiny wound on my finger slightly swallow again (it has slight swallowed previously and recovered already, but I just injured it again). I can feel my finger getting tide and hot but I just ignore it and think it will recover it self.

20180603_154319.thumb.jpg.3c6890183a030854dbe034b6fa759778.jpg

After 2 nights, I felt my finger getting swallow, hot even when sleeping. So went to clinic next morning and the Dr just give antibiotic. After taking the antibiotic, 3 or 4 hours later I feel my back a bit itchy, so went to take bath, but I saw the redness spread by following my blood vessel. Then I went back to the clinic, but the Dr told me:

Mr, you have 2 problems now, 1st is your finger is infected and the situation looks bad, we need to give you the strong antibiotic, but now you have allergic! He advised me to go to hospital asap. Then my wife and I took cab to Ng Teng Fong emergency department, but the queue is damn long, the nurse said we have to wait at least 4 hrs (which is after 12am) then only my turn to see the Dr.

Then we just find another nearer hospital which is NUH, thanks god the q still acceptable and about 1 hour my turn to visited the Dr.

At that time, I am already look like a "crab" and behave like a monkey, scratching here scratching there. My hand, my leg , my back and neck already with erythema.

20180603_215702.thumb.jpg.59b4e00f19aeefc81855e89dd9d8dc10.jpg

After investigated by the DR, they give me an injection and medical drip ( I always drip coral. now my turn 'kena' drip).

End up I was admitted to hospital for 5 days and placed under allergic category. The Dr used "trial and error" method to test which antibiotic won't cause allergic to my body. Until day 4, they found my body can tolerate with the 4th antibiotic, and my finger getting better. During that time, the Dr keep asking me do you want to take operation? They can check what's going on in my finger and clean it, otherwise it may come back but I insist to monitor it 1st. Because this is the 1st time I hospitalized in Sg hospital (although I cover with medical insure but I am not sure what are claimable, so just choose the cheapest solution, and I am also blur, did't check my insure agent)

IMG-20180604-WA0027.thumb.jpeg.478639c0ad7cf340957780aa294d5a09.jpeg

I am also don't understand how can I stayed 5 days in the hospital with a hand phone and laptop (NO WIFI but with data) only. Everyday woke up around 6.30am wait for  Dr come for check up, then wait for breakfast around 7.30am, continue sleep and wake up at 1pm for lunch, then wait for 4.30pm tea time and dinner at 7pm, and sleep at 10pm!!! (Usually I go to bed around 1 to 2am)

20180607_093121.thumb.jpg.ab482b958bfcdf9e1c29a7c249fc81e8.jpg

After discharged, every month I have to come back to the hospital to take allergic test. Each time can only test for 1 type of antibiotic. Below is one of the allergic test (skin test before test). The C, M, Pc, are not Calcium Magnesium or PH!!! :upsidedown:

20180827_143145.thumb.jpg.dbe36838dbb4176059010db70eb1c29f.jpg

But thank god, all the medical fee are covered by my insure and the payment process is sooooo convenient, everything are deducted automatically and the hospital will settle with my insurance!

After all the tests, the result show that actually my body does not allergic to any antibiotic. It could because due to the infection, my immune system become very active, what ever strong medical detected in my body, they will just react and attack it!

So lesson learn, It could be very dangerous if the bacteria go into your body and it could cause septicemia!

remember DO NOT touch your tank water if you have open wound and no matter what size is it!!

• Like 1

• SRC Member
Thanks Admiraltian, hope you enjoy my sharing.
Let's continue the story.....
It is quite normal we scratch/injure our hand during the maintenance job. One day I went to a LFS and saw newly arrived GSP.
The uncle told me get it only next day, because he haven't clean the GSP, those GSP from wild could be very dirty. But I am lazy to come to the LFS again, so I just  bought it and ask the uncle how to clean the GSP when I bring it back home.
So once I reach home, I followed his instruction to dip the GSP with fresh water (after adjusted the temp and ph) with bare hand and then put the GSP into my tank. But after that time, I realize the tiny wound on my finger slightly swallow again (it has slight swallowed previously and recovered already, but I just injured it again). I can feel my finger getting tide and hot but I just ignore it and think it will recover it self.
20180603_154319.thumb.jpg.3c6890183a030854dbe034b6fa759778.jpg
After 2 nights, I felt my finger getting swallow, hot even when sleeping. So went to clinic next morning and the Dr just give antibiotic. After taking the antibiotic, 3 or 4 hours later I feel my back a bit itchy, so went to take bath, but I saw the redness spread by following my blood vessel. Then I went back to the clinic, but the Dr told me:
Mr, you have 2 problems now, 1st is your finger is infected and the situation looks bad, we need to give you the strong antibiotic, but now you have allergic! He advised me to go to hospital asap. Then my wife and I took cab to Ng Teng Fong emergency department, but the queue is damn long, the nurse said we have to wait at least 4 hrs (which is after 12am) then only my turn to see the Dr.
Then we just find another nearer hospital which is NUH, thanks god the q still acceptable and about 1 hour my turn to visited the Dr.
At that time, I am already look like a "crab" and behave like a monkey, scratching here scratching there. My hand, my leg , my back and neck already with erythema.
20180603_215702.thumb.jpg.59b4e00f19aeefc81855e89dd9d8dc10.jpg
After investigated by the DR, they give me an injection and medical drip ( I always drip coral. now my turn 'kena' drip).
End up I was admitted to hospital for 5 days and placed under allergic category. The Dr used "trial and error" method to test which antibiotic won't cause allergic to my body. Until day 4, they found my body can tolerate with the 4th antibiotic, and my finger getting better. During that time, the Dr keep asking me do you want to take operation? They can check what's going on in my finger and clean it, otherwise it may come back but I insist to monitor it 1st. Because this is the 1st time I hospitalized in Sg hospital (although I cover with medical insure but I am not sure what are claimable, so just choose the cheapest solution, and I am also blur, did't check my insure agent)
IMG-20180604-WA0027.thumb.jpeg.478639c0ad7cf340957780aa294d5a09.jpeg

I am also don't understand how can I stayed 5 days in the hospital with a hand phone and laptop (NO WIFI but with data) only. Everyday woke up around 6.30am wait for  Dr come for check up, then wait for breakfast around 7.30am, continue sleep and wake up at 1pm for lunch, then wait for 4.30pm tea time and dinner at 7pm, and sleep at 10pm!!! (Usually I go to bed around 1 to 2am)
20180607_093121.thumb.jpg.ab482b958bfcdf9e1c29a7c249fc81e8.jpg

After discharged, every month I have to come back to the hospital to take allergic test. Each time can only test for 1 type of antibiotic. Below is one of the allergic test (skin test before test). The C, M, Pc, are not Calcium Magnesium or PH!!! :upsidedown:
20180827_143145.thumb.jpg.dbe36838dbb4176059010db70eb1c29f.jpg
But thank god, all the medical fee are covered by my insure and the payment process is sooooo convenient, everything are deducted automatically and the hospital will settle with my insurance!
After all the tests, the result show that actually my body does not allergic to any antibiotic. It could because due to the infection, my immune system become very active, what ever strong medical detected in my body, they will just react and attack it!
So lesson learn, It could be very dangerous if the bacteria go into your body and it could cause septicemia!
remember DO NOT touch your tank water if you have open wound and no matter what size is it!!

Woahh. that must have been quite the experience. thanks again for sharing the not so glamorous parts of this hobby that everyone should be aware of too.

Thankfully it’s never happened to me before but yeah, stuff like this is more reason to wear gloves while handling coral. I’ve never been infected by touching coral/through an open wound/cuts but I’ve been bitten by my cowfish on my forearm before while doing maintenance, and it drew blood hahahaha

Hi @soggycookies, yeah, now I will wear glove when touching cheato / rock / having small wound after the incident , but sometime wearing glove really hard to do the work.

When one of my friend heard my incident, she also told me last time her friend went to diving. then the elbow get cut by the rock. End up also admit to hospital due to bacteria infection and his elbow shallow like a tennis ball.

That's my bad luck experience in this hobby, now sharing some +ve story.

Caught the anemone open in love shape when I return to home and the 2 nemo are Falling in Loves!!!

created_image_1587825243911.thumb.png.253aa4ceffdd9352fef6d38de1e7376e.png

• Like 1

After surveyed few light, added a Kessil 160we because I like the shimmer effect. Initially thinking to replace the Nemo light, but single 160we created too many shadow, still need the nemo light to create a balance of light across the tank.

20180821_224355.thumb.jpg.95c544824348ff679625fc3d1ec3e13d.jpg

• SRC Member
After surveyed few light, added a Kessil 160we because I like the shimmer effect. Initially thinking to replace the Nemo light, but single 160we created too many shadow, still need the nemo light to create a balance of light across the tank.
20180821_224355.thumb.jpg.95c544824348ff679625fc3d1ec3e13d.jpg

you could try mounting the kessil higher above the tank bro. will help with it having more spread. the kessil lights are very good as focused lights if you need more par in a tighter area. good for deeper tanks but yeah spread is not their strong suit

Having this hobby is a dangerous thing and I am deeply poison , upgraded my tank to RedSea Reefer 250 and Mar 2019 is the month passing longest in my life due to the tank I ordered no stock and need to wait for 1 month to restock....

And finally my tank arrived on Apr 2019.

58382015.thumb.jpg.ab839333198d803cd6e668cac265e484.jpg

created_image_1587822199804.thumb.png.b9065abbe68f75429bf4baa0bd3b8da1.png

Slowly move my livestock over, bz with the tank every night and feel like don't want to go to bed.

created_image_1587823741299.thumb.png.1de7fc23d3cf0a3856eb7ce3a174cf4e.png

• SRC Member

Very good info bro. Read through the whole post of your finger, rashes, hospitalise... Felt the dilemma you were. Hope you finger is getting better now. Anw I still couldn't get it, alot of fish keeper has wound and touches the water. But this is the first time I heard about such incident. 

Could it be maybe some coral or tank additives that penerate into the wound thus into the vessel 

Glad everything turns out fine!! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Peanut8787 said:

Very good info bro. Read through the whole post of your finger, rashes, hospitalise... Felt the dilemma you were. Hope you finger is getting better now. Anw I still couldn't get it, alot of fish keeper has wound and touches the water. But this is the first time I heard about such incident. 

Could it be maybe some coral or tank additives that penerate into the wound thus into the vessel 

Glad everything turns out fine!! 

Hi @Peanut8787, before that I also never think that a tiny wound can become serious if get infection. I am also fell unbelievable how come my hand can get infection in saltwater. But according to the Dr, we have antibody to most of the fresh water bacteria, but there some saltwater bacteria not 'recognize' by our body. Maybe I really damnnnnn "shuey" (bad luck), like that also can 'tiok tai ji'.....

Just sharing my tank after upgraded to RedSea tank 7 or 8 months later.....

See how jialat the poison I have now......

This is how I "diving" daily....

created_image_1587823092430.thumb.png.ce94a0d1213bbc2df82d84a007a9736d.png

Hi @CarnivorousGhecko, I do 10% water change weekly.

For ammonia Nh4 and nitrite NO2, I do not bother them once my tank is cycled because always get 0. Once have enough filter media / live rock, and the number of fish is fixed, I always get 0 for both of them. Sometime I feed a bit heavier also to make my tank's bacteria can handle slightly heavier nutrient load.

Due to having mixed reef, my NO3 and PO4 are high.

I am using Nitraguard Titanium to reduce my NO3 and Rowaphos to reduce PO4. I am start using them when I had the 2 feet tank. My NO3 level is the most red color measured by API NO3 test kit during that time and PO4 detected low with API PO4 test kit.

After using them, I am managed to reduce the NO3 to yellow color (API NO3 test kit ) and very light green color (API PO4 test kit). Think that the NO3 and PO4 are very low already?? Actually not! After switching to Salifert, it detected NO3 is around 25 to 50 ppm and Po4 around 0.5 to 0.8ppm.

Just some personal advise, if you would like to get more accurate result, spent few more dollar to get Salifert test kit. Last time I choose test kit by looking on their $, but after trying salifert and compare the result with ICP test, the Salifert test kit result are more accurate to ICP test (by comparing Cal and Mg reading)

But now my fishes getting bigger, I cannot further reduce my NO3 and PO4 by the 2 product. The NO3 always stay at 25ppm and PO4 at 0.5ppm. There is one time I change all the NO3 and PO4 after water change, and thinking to chase the number, end up it stressed my coral. I lost few coral and injured my chalices. So now I try not the renew them after wc, and slowly top up / renew them every 2/3 days. Eg: top up 20g every 2 days until the number I want.

Anyway, just sharing there is a rowa calculator available: http://rowaphos-calculator.com/ , you can use it to calculate how much rowa you need for your tank. But try start with 50% of the recommendation.

*Anyway, the above are just my personal experience and opinion. Every tank is unique due to the way you feed / the way of maintenance / the livestock or equipment you have. There are plenty of way for nutrient export, and it might not the most effective one, but it works to reduce my tank NO3 and PO4 to the level I mentioned.

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter

Nice tank. Getting full :)

There is nothing much you can do about the clownfish eggs this round. But if you intend to breed them, consider the following :

- Now you know they like this spot, put a small removable rock in that area

- After they have laid eggs the next round, remove the rock (with eggs) into a separate tank to hatch. Now that's another difficult process which some other experts on SRC can provide better advice. Refer to Law88's post

• Like 1

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

Thanks!!!

I am also headache now whether to move out the rock and the finger leather because the 2 clown already host on the leather coral long time d. Most probably will follow the advise put a rock on the spot and wait for another chance.

Here is another link shared by other ppl which i feel very helpful as well  so just share here

https://www.ocellarisclownfish.com/raising-clownfish/