Battling Cyanobacteria with Fauna Marine Red X

josephwzr

• SRC Member

Hi everyone, I’ve had a problem with green cyano for 3-4 months. Exhausted many different ways to battle them, some of which are doing weekly waterchange, siphoning them out, getting a new UV Steriliser and also reducing my nutrients through various means(reactors and bacteria dosing). None of these worked, so I decided it’s time to add some chemicals in my tank.

I was conflicted between two products. Chemiclean and FM Red X. Ultimately I chose FM Red X based on two factors.

1) I’ve always been a fan of Fauna Marine, and use many of their products. Their product also claim to remove Cyanobacteria and many other types of algae organically and biologically.

2) There were little to no online reviews regarding this particular product. Thus, I thought I’d be a good opportunity to share my experience with fellow reefers. Perhaps help them to make an informed decision in the future if they were to face the same issue.

A few things to take note. Turn of all UV/Ozone/Reactors. The dosage is 10ml per 100litre, for 5days. Followed by 6 days of patience and letting the product work in your aquarium.

IMG_4550.JPG

This was my situation on the first day before dosing. Make sure to turn of your UV, Ozone or any reactors. Just leave your skimmer on will do.

IMG_4544.JPG

After about 3 days, the difference was significant. The layer of cyano starting to thin out.

IMG_4624.JPG

Day 11 of treatment, majority of green cyano has disappeared. Skimming performance has increased as well.

IMG_4717.JPG

Day 15 of treatment

95% of the cyano is gone. As suggested by Fauna Marine, I have also dosed Rebiotic, which is a product that repairs and restore bacterial stability in the aquarium.

IMG_4740.JPG

I must say, I am very happy with the results of the FM Red X, and would definitely recommend this product to anyone who has issues with cyano. If anyone is interested to find out more on this product, I’ve attached a link below.

https://reefmarketsg.com.sg/product/fauna-marin-red-x-250ml/

This product works great for clearing mild dinos infestation too. Used it in my tank before.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member
This product works great for clearing mild dinos infestation too. Used it in my tank before.

That’s great to hear! But if anyone has a bad Dino infestation, they have a more potent product called Dino x that works better.

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member
On 5/10/2020 at 11:04 PM, josephwzr said:

Could tell that the product was working after day 1. On day 14-15 there was little to no green cyano left.

The instruction indicate dose for 6 days and wait for 5 days. After the 11 day, did you continue to add any dose?

2 hours ago, josephwzr said:

Nope, by the 11th day it was almost cleared. I just turned skimmer n reactor back on.

So for 11 days u never turn on ur skimmer?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

• SRC Member
Thanks for sharing. The main ingredient seems to be salicylic acid. Did you see your phospates levels drop ? I would expect some carbon dosing effect.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

My phosphate levels has always been pretty Low, ranging from 0.03-0.06. May not be an accurate reading because I had cyano at that point of time.

3 hours ago, josephwzr said:

Actually I just removed the skimmer cup and let it overflow. To keep the water oxygenated .

Cos I thot u suppose to keep the skimmer running to skim off the decomposing organics.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

I had the same issue but I chose to put in 3 pieces of the sea anemone not the poisonous kind who did all the cleaning for me and going strong. I forget 5he name it is like a small ball brown colored who keep eating all my slime and algae

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app