Water conditioners and salinity

• SRC Member

Is anyone still using water conditioner.for their tank?
I have also seen some video which are recommending to keep the salinity at 1.020-1.022. What are your thoughts? Thank you

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

by water conditioner i’m assuming you mean a biostarter(i.e bacteria)? If your tank is new cycling it first is a must if you want to avoid problems with adding new livestock.

also, 1.020~1.022 is generally too low a salinitt for corals, so i’m also guessing you’re looking at a fish-only tank?

Hi , thank you for your reply, the first part of the question on the bacteria is well noted and thank you for this.

For the salinity,  there are videos out there which claim that high salinity could event lead to fish ich issue, and maybe lower salinity could resolve that. Would coral be alright at 1.023? Maybe not all corals ?

Thank you 

• SRC Supporter

Do share which videos recommending salinity of 1.020-1.022. Keen to review.

Generally, 1.022 is perfectly fine for fish only tanks.

The concept of low salinity to mitigate ich is called hypo salinity - so low that the life cycle of the ich is broken. Hyposalinity leve is 1.008-1.009. 

Keeping it at 1.023 is NOT considered hyposalinity & does nothing to mitigate ich.

The correct salinity level for reef tank (with coral) is 35ppt => 1.0264 SG.

Keeping it at 1.023 is considered a little low. Corals can survive but it will not be ideal. At 1.023, your key water parameters like Ca, Mg, KH will be lower than ideal levels for corals since there is less salt in the water).  Again, some corals are tolerant of lower salinity. But some will not do well and die.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
Hi , thank you for your reply, the first part of the question on the bacteria is well noted and thank you for this.

For the salinity,  there are videos out there which claim that high salinity could event lead to fish ich issue, and maybe lower salinity could resolve that. Would coral be alright at 1.023? Maybe not all corals ?

Thank you 

It’s likely that fish are more susceptible to ich not because of the salinity but because of inconsistent/unstable parameters or tankmate aggression. I’ve read similar things about a lower salinity reducing the likelihood of ich but it certainly does not resolve ich, like[mention=23740]SubZeroLT[/mention] mentioned.

As for the salinity for coral, it’s as he mentioned too. 1.023 is below the recommended 1.024~1.028 range for a reeftank. most would run 1.026 but you can get away with it being slightly lower or higher, but 1.020~1.023 is too low

• 2 weeks later...