ATS and refugium

ReefRap

• SRC Member

depends on your goal and nutrient level target, if ur refugium is satisfy your maintenance schedule and able to maintain your desired nutrient level then theres no need to run ats, if your fuge not doing the job den probably u need to look at ats. which brand ats btw? careful with those china ats with claim “waterproof” led. there is risk for short circuit. happy reefing

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

There are various tools available to you to reduce nitrates so much of the decisioning about a refugium or ATS or other tool relates to everything from your coral and fish stocking, feeding amount and type, flow, through to what other nutrient removal tools you will have in place. Eg.roller mat or socks etc... (I recently wrote a rather long post on the same).

A refugium tends to do the heavy lifting of any nutrient removal system, and can in many ways serve as the only tool you will need. Its size isnt as important as mine is about 7%) but it depends on the lighting source above the fuge as well the nutrients available.

As reefer we know stability is key. So on top of a refugium I also run an ATS. The reason I use both is so that I have more control. A refugium is like a big oil tanker, any change in direction are slow (and this is a good thing). However if my coral growth increases disproportionatly to the growth in my Refugium then I would see a spike in nitrates. As such I see an ATS as a slightly more nimble tool. For me an ATS is pound for pound doing a better job then the fuge at lowering my nitrates. But combined I find is best of both worlds. An ATS can be controlled with the lighting schedule and size of the unit/mesh size, as well as water flow. So adjusting either of these elements allows for the nutrient removal to be easily dialed up as well as down (all the way zero by switching it off haha). Refugiums also can be controlled but it is as I said much bigger and will (and should result in) slower changes. To me they compliment one another. The refugium is the foundation with the fine tuning ATS is available and used when needed.

• SRC Member

really depends on your stocking level and whether your system has a high or low bioload. IME running too many nutrient export options over time might cause a major die-off of one type of algae while another monopolizes most of the nutrient intake. also have to factor in how mature your system is. the older it is generally the less of a need to run both an ATS and refugium together IMO. saves on the lighting cost too.

• Like 1