General Discussion on Red Sea Reefer

• SRC Member

Hi Everyone,

During this CB period, thinking / planning of upgrading my existing setup.

Been doing some reading & watching videos of red sea reefers series , specifically 170 which is the size i would be comfortable.

Even after lot of searching i couldn't find much discussion of the pro & cons of this system.

From what i have seen, i could list of a few. All of you may not agree on this , since its all a matter of personal preference.

Pros:

1) ultra-clear glass makes the tank look very neat

2) Cabinet looks well made.  

3) Down flow plumbing has emergency overflow, avoids flooding

Cons:

1) Overflow is located at the center black which takes up space. Specially when its a small 2 ft system, where these isn't a lot of space. It doesn't look very deep in pictures & videos .maybe 2-3 inches only.I have seen some systems where the overflows are at the corner, which does save up some space.

2) Cabinet is laminated plywood & not actual wood, which may have shorter lifespan. I have read of reefers putting sealant between the laminate so that moisture & salt doesn't get in.

3) Down flow has a regulator knob, which i have read is hard to adjust. Unlike Durso overflow system,  regulator type system might have possibility of clogging.

Hope you can add more pros & cons based of what you have seen or experienced in such systems.

Would help me & everyone else greatly in having better understanding.

I am just giving my own personal opinion & not trying to promote or criticize our sponsors.

Thank you

• Like 1