EvolutionZ's Red Sea Reefer 170 tank build

• SRC Member

Hey Reefers! Felt really great to be back! Got myself a Red Sea reefer 170 and started cycling the tank today. This will likely still be a SPS dominated tank with some LPS/Zoas at the mids/bottom area.. Most of my equipments have yet to arrived so i will be cycling the tank while i gather my equipments, should be around 2 months before the first coral/fish goes in.

Equipments:

Red Sea Reefer 170 (60x50x50cm)

Noopsyche K7 Pro II (will likely get another unit)

Bubble Magus Z7

Jebao SLW-20M (Will probably need 2 as well)

Jebao Doser 3.4

Tank is in! Despite being only a 2ft, it is pretty heavy espcially the cabinet. Got to say Red Sea makes quality tank set.

20200604_202214

Got a total of 15kg of dry rocks to play with.

20200607_214013

After lots of expoxy, glue and hours later.. trying to create a floating kind of scape with tier layers to incorperate SPS/LPS/Zoas demands. Grade 3 coral sand goes in as well, turns out to be a little to coarse and yellow for my liking, might swap them out in future.

20200608_192828

I like the scape above alot but in the long term, shadowing wil llikely cause an issue and the 'floating' side is tilted backwards which means less space for corals.

So i decided to turn the whole scape 180 degree (glad i expoxy everything together!) and it looks pretty good too! 

20200608_224006

Would be great to hear some opinion guys! I will work on the 2nd scape tomorrow to epoxy those rock shelves back that i removed in order to turn the scape and will post an update of what i can come up with! 

Meanwhile, i guess i have to patiently wait for the tank to cycle.

Thanks for viewing! 

Edited by Evolutionz
  • Like 2

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member
9 hours ago, Darren Sim said:

Welcome back! emoji1303.pngemoji1303.png Very beautiful scape! emoji1303.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Clement Chen said:

Good to see you back! Looking forward to ur awesome tank 

Thank you! 

22 minutes ago, zander said:

Is Noopsyche Ok for SPS?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

So far overseas review have shown pretty good result! they seems to be an replica of the AI Hydra 26 but with a slight improvement of led cofiguration. I will post a short review here when i get my unit.

• SRC Member
So far overseas review have shown pretty good result! they seems to be an replica of the AI Hydra 26 but with a slight improvement of led cofiguration. I will post a short review here when i get my unit.

Thanks! Looking forward to it. BTW since you plan to have SPS dominant, are you going to have T5 as a supplement ?

• SRC Member
4 hours ago, zander said:

Thanks! Looking forward to it. BTW since you plan to have SPS dominant, are you going to have T5 as a supplement ?

I'm trying to keep this tank as asthetically pleasing as possible (in terms of the overall look),  so will not be adding any T5 supplements. I'm hoping 2 Noopsyche would provide sufficient coverage since 1 is actually rated for a 60cm cube, and they are hung from the back with provided arms so hopefully they look clean!

1 hour ago, titustitus said:

Finally ah! 

Wa the cave area put some supersun will be very swee XD

Yes bro! exactly what i plan to do! 

• SRC Member

So i finalized my scape today with some modification. My focus with this scape was to incorporate all equipment to the back, that means wavemakers will be blowing from the back as well. Therefore, i will have to leave space on both side for optimal flow.

Still not very happy with the placement of that center shelf but i ran out of epoxy, might shift it again..

20200609_222001

20200609_222022 20200609_222011

A picture of the sump, pretty well designed with an ATO as well. But there isn't alot of space for a refugium once a skimmer goes in, which is why i chose the new BM Z7 as my skimmer choice.

20200609_221919

Using the Oase Optimax 2000 as my return, pretty powerful pump for a small footprint. This is also where the manual ATO is at, seems to work quite well as intended.

20200609_221921

• SRC Member
6 minutes ago, sanjaypills55 said:

Hey Evolutionz, glad to see a new scape. Always loved the rockscape u made,any picture on how u glue the rockscape together.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Hey bro! Glad to to that you are still reefing too! Unfortunately no photos were taken as my hands were full of epoxy and glue, i was pretty lucky to get some really pretty rocks though!

Nice scape bro. 

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Day 6

Managed to get some used Tropic Marin additives, might stick to this if they work well for me.

20200613_143816

CB too much free time, start to stack Siphorax in the red sea media cup!

20200612_190839

Also cut some egg crates so that the filter floss will not touch the siphorax.

20200613_145937

I really like this filter media cup upgrade since i really hate filter sock. a small clump of Sera filter wool is all i need to keep the water clear, throw and replace every week without any hassle.

20200612_190907

• SRC Member
6 hours ago, Jason Ng said:

Welcome back! Looking forward to see yr completed setup. emoji846.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

1 hour ago, tropic said:

Looking good the setup. If he is back with the reef tank...he will be back with the homemade reef food.emoji38.pngemoji38.png

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Haha! I would if this set up is a FOWLR! 

• SRC Member

Day 9

Today i'm gonna hook up my return pump to my chiller and a T-joint that will feed a UV and a small reactor for rowaphos.

20200616_202304

So the back of the red sea reefer cabinet's cut out is way too small than it should be! I connected my return to the chiller and chiller back to the return line of the tank but due to the design of the cabinet, i had to use 2 L joint if not the hose will not be able to connec to the return line. The T-joint has a valve and its currently shut off, will be connecting this to a UV once i get my hands on 1.

20200616_211429

All done! Decided to go for the Teco TK500, a little overpowered but i guess i can still use it if i upgrade next time. Love the design as the airflow out the top means that i can direct the air where i want and also push the chiller all the way to the wall. The in/outlet of the chiller is hidden behind too so i am able to hide all the pipings.

20200616_224406

Edited by Evolutionz

• 2 weeks later...