Phytoplankton Fertilizer Replacement

ahkit81

heiya im new in this forum hope you guys will help me out. :thanks:

I plan to setup a phytoplankton culture. But i cant able to find the culturing medium over at malaysia. Is DT able to replace this? Read from the forum here look like it is possible.

Another question is i'm unable to find the florida farms fertiliser in malaysia :cry: . is any any other stuffs can be replace the fertiliser used for culturing this phytoplankton? Hope you guys can help me!

Thanx

Been there last month visited R####N and another one near orchard road. Cool stuffs you guys got over there. Didn't get the starter kit from R####N coz it look kinda old stock :D scared it doesn't works hehe. As for the florida fertiliser didn't manage to find it :(

• SRC Member
Been there last month visited R####N and another one near orchard road. Cool stuffs you guys got over there. Didn't get the starter kit from R####N coz it look kinda old stock :D scared it doesn't works hehe. As for the florida fertiliser didn't manage to find it :(

Reborn sells the ferts... but the culture likewise looked a little... erm... unhealthy...

Anyone know's the chemical composition of the ferts? Can probably mix up a similar batch...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

There are 26 recipes for culture mediums - but the most common used are the L1,K and f/2 formulas.

Guillard's f/2 formula (florida farms)

version-Guillard & Ryther 1962, Guillard 1975

To 950 mL filtered seawater add:

Quantity - Compound - Stock Solution - Molar Concentration in Final Medium

1 mL - NaNO3 - 75 g/L dH2O - 8.83 x 10-4 M

1 mL -NaH2PO4 · H2O - 5 g/L dH2O - 3.63 x 10-5 M

1 mL * -Na2SiO3 · 9H2O* - 30 g/L dH2O* - 1.07 x 10-4 M*

1 mL - f/2 trace metal solution

0.5 mL - f/2 vitamin solution

If u are looking for a pure strain - the best & robust one will be Nannochlorpsis Oculata - cell size 2 microns.

*Nannochlorpsis a unicellular microalgae, member of the Chromophyta phylum, class Eustigmatophyceae, with an average size of between 2-4 µm.

WOW...sound complicated.... :lol:

im not a science guy..hehe...but do you think i can used sea water as my main source of pytoplankton......

then added in those fertiliser that is used for those fresh water planted tank?

anyone tried it before?

• 14 years later...