Pls read this on coral propagation

blueheaven

Hi guys, I would want to grab this opportunity to tell you more about coral prpagation. Sadly, this is not practiced my many of us here. The reason for coral propagation is to save our coral reefs from declining as divers collect corals for the trade. So why must we propagate corals?

The reason is simple, propagated corals survive better in captive systems and we can ensure a good distribution of nice genetic strains. Its so simple and the mother colony will survive and continue to provide us with generations of its strain. There is a common misconception that only stony corals like SPS and LPS can be "fragged". The answer is no and in fact, all corals can be propagated.

Mushroom corals are one of the most colourful and hardy corals that are kept in the aquarium. Their colours range from bright red to dark brown and their textures range from smooth to hairy. Its no wonder that these corals are one of the most widely propagated species. The procedure is simple by just cutting of the "hood" from the stalk or if you want more pieces, you can further cut the hood into 5-6 pizza shaped pieces. Each of these pieces will grow into a new specimen (visit my tank's thread for some pics). This way, we would not worry about reefers hogging LFS for uniquely coloured specimens. The more serious reefers can create a brood stock and collect nice strains to propagate and distribute.

Soft corals like leather corals are also easily propagated by cutting a small piece off the mother specimen and this will also recover into a new specimen. But a point to note is that leather corals secrete a lot of slime and release some toxins when cut but this is easily solved by good water movement and strong skimming.

Lastly, the stony corals by far is the easiest to propagate as you just need to break a piece off the calcium carbonate skeleton and attach the frag to a piece of rock. Do not worry if the frag is too small as it will grow very fast and you can frag it again.

So I therefore urge all reefers here to practice coral propagation to some extent to help save the reefs and to ensure that nice strains are not lost but distributed around. LFSes shouls also do this and they can produce a constant supply of nice corals from their brood stock or from some nice deliveries from the distributors.

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Lastly, the stony corals by far is the easiest to propagate as you just need to break a piece off the calcium carbonate skeleton and attach the frag to a piece of rock. Do not worry if the frag is too small as it will grow very fast and you can frag it again.

hammers and octopus can be fragged this way meh?

• SRC Member
Lastly, the stony corals by far is the easiest to propagate as you just need to break a piece off the calcium carbonate skeleton and attach the frag to a piece of rock.

how do you attach the frag to the rock?

has it got to be a certain type of marine glue? or a non-toxic one would do? (haven't heard of a market brand superglue that is non-toxic though)

absolutely for marine only epoxy........ tunze epoxy. ;)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

Ok one by one now, octopus and other Euphyllia spp. can be fragged this way by breaking the hard skeleton

Attachment to rocks can be done with cyanoacrylate glue gel and it will not harm the tank. The toxins produced by some corals are much more toxic than the solvent.

Yes, mushies can just cut and they will grow back. Visit my tank's thread for some pics. I am currently propagating rhodactis and the frags will be available in a few weeks time.

Bubble corals can be propagated with the same methods for octopus or hammer corals. Sun corals are individual polyps if I am not wrong. That's why you have to feed every polyp so that it will survive

I am starting a brood stock of nice corals and hopfully, I will be able to give or exchange them for free

i can try my hairy mushroom if u want...hehehe...for ric flori prolly have to wait till lightningstrike comes back... :evil::evil:

dun aim me leh...... i still recovering from my tank crash. anyway, i prefer natural propagation. :lol: got so many target to aim at out there........

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

How do u frag hammers? Wat tool to use? Any best method rec?

You can just use a scewdriver and hammer to chisel the piece off

• SRC Member

chisel individual branches of euphyllia species corals.. dun go and chisel in the middle of the head and split the polyps hor... if it's the extensively branching type then just break the thin branch using ur fingers.

Live and Let Live

chisel individual branches of euphyllia species corals.. dun go and chisel in the middle of the head and split the polyps hor... if it's the extensively branching type then just break the thin branch using ur fingers.

Yeah good point to note for beginner fraggers

I have seen an interest growing on propagation and this is my aim

Keep it up guys! :lol:

• SRC Member
wat about mushies? juz cut and it will grow?? anyone planning to cut their ricodia floridias???!!!? :ph34r:

I have tried before. Cut one into half and it turns into 2. The difficult part is waiting for the frag to attach to coral chip/small stone frag.

My frags usually attach on a day or two.

The most take 4-5 days

Try placing it in a low flow place :lol:

Yeah good point to note for beginner fraggers

I have seen an interest growing on propagation and this is my aim

Keep it up guys! :lol:

I have chiselled one thru the head "purposely" But so far its not dying. Seems to be recovering. :rolleyes:

For my mushrooms (discosomas) , I blend them. Yumas are the hardest to frag and they take the longest to recover.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

v[edia,Oct 4 2004, 03:47 PM] one whole piece of mush juz cut into half.. will i still alive ? coz i scare once cut.. whole piece gone.. maybe try to post pic on steps in cutting of mush n frag of other coral

I've got some pics at my tank's thread

For steps you can search for an old thread by me on mushie propagation

Basically, you just hold the rock of mushie upside down and the specimens will droop down so its easier to cut

You have to cut closest to the disk and make it one clean cut

You can either leave the disk to grow again or you can further cut the disk into pizza shaped frags but they will take longer to grow to full size

I know that initially, you will feel uncomfortable about cutting the corals but do it once and you'll definately do it again :lol: