Pls read this on coral propagation

blueheaven

i find difficulty breaking off acros that are thick at the base. anyone know where to buy those tools like a small revolving blade that doctors/dentist use? small one only, with the blade disc <1" in size... saw some americans using them.

maybe you can try using a ART knife if you know whats that..its small sharp but will rust.but of course there are many changeable blades :)

• SRC Member

I've got some pics at my tank's thread

For steps you can search for an old thread by me on mushie propagation

Basically, you just hold the rock of mushie upside down and the specimens will droop down so its easier to cut

You have to cut closest to the disk and make it one clean cut

You can either leave the disk to grow again or you can further cut the disk into pizza shaped frags but they will take longer to grow to full size

I know that initially, you will feel uncomfortable about cutting the corals but do it once and you'll definately do it again :lol:

bro blue heaven,

after reading ur instruction here stirred up my interest, and coincidently, the next morning, i found a piece of my green yumas dislogde from the rock and landed on my fav hammer. when i took it away, it stung my hamer badly melting away so of the hammer's tentacles .. :cry:

in the fit of anger :angry: , an evil tot grows .. i decided to try fragging that fellow... :evil:

i sniped that mushroom into half then put then back into the tank. i used a pvc pipe cut into short section to contain the frang in case they get swipe by the current and sting other corals again .

i check it yesterhday nite, it already recovering from the cut. thats very fast .. :yeah:

bro blue heaven,

after reading ur instruction here stirred up my interest, and coincidently, the next morning, i found a piece of my green yumas dislogde from the rock and landed on my fav hammer. when i took it away, it stung my hamer badly melting away so of the hammer's tentacles .. :cry:

in the fit of anger :angry: , an evil tot grows .. i decided to try fragging that fellow... :evil:

i sniped that mushroom into half then put then back into the tank. i used a pvc pipe cut into short section to contain the frang in case they get swipe by the current and sting other corals again .

i check it yesterhday nite, it already recovering from the cut. thats very fast .. :yeah:

congrets :)

• SRC Member

bro blue heaven,

Makes me wanna try fragging my lime green yumas.... :evil::evil:

But scared leh... hee ewait till the baby one grow bigger first.

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

Yes, the recovery rate is superb

After one day, I can see my frags going back into its circular shape :lol:

And good idea to vent your anger too :P

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

just now, while i do my daily stare at the fish tank, i saw 2 pieces of red base yumas that i bought on sunday going to dislogde.. so i took it out before it do the same thing to my other corals .. one of the pieces that came off was quite big.. bigger than a 50cent coin .. i'm thinking of fragging again .. :eyebrow:

anyway, i realised that the piece of rock that i bought, the yumas have been splitting alot .. .. how should i describle it .. some of the mushrooms look as though they were being scrambled.like "scramble eggs" .. look very messy but it is forming into many pieces of small and mid size mushroom ..

will see if i'm so free until i decide to frag that big fleshy piece ..

just now, while i do my daily stare at the fish tank, i saw 2 pieces of red base yumas that i bought on sunday going to dislogde.. so i took it out before it do the same thing to my other corals .. one of the pieces that came off was quite big.. bigger than a 50cent coin .. i'm thinking of fragging again .. :eyebrow:

anyway, i realised that the piece of rock that i bought, the yumas have been splitting alot .. .. how should i describle it .. some of the mushrooms look as though they were being scrambled.like "scramble eggs" .. look very messy but it is forming into many pieces of small and mid size mushroom ..

will see if i'm so free until i decide to frag that big fleshy piece ..

and do rmb a pic :P

I can't wait for my prop. system to be up in school.... :D

• 1 month later...
so for mushies you actually cut pizza wedge shapes on a mushie??? as in mouth in the middle, then take a knife and cut right tru the middle?

then epoxy it to something?

Hmmm...if anyone manages to epoxy mushy frags..kudos to them.. :bow::upsidedown:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

You cut the disk into pizza slices and not the whole specimen.

The base will grow back into a new specimen.

Bro DB once taught me that you can use a cut out plastic bottle to over the frags, somewhat like feeding LPS. Maybe that will help you solve your problem?

And I am always available to help anyone to my best extent, just post the qns here :lol: