Setup of a Skimmer

damsels

Yo brothers,

I need some advice on the setup of a protein skimmer, thanks.

Current Situation:

I am running a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank which is placed at one side of my balcony. The tank fit into the breadth of my balcony almost exactly, so no space outside the tank side to hang anything...

The tank is running with an 6 inch IOS on one side of the tank and of course a portion of it is already used to house those filtration media.

What is left is a 10inch x 6inch x 2ft height space. In this space, I have a water pump to draw in the water to a chiller. I am also housing a simple air-bubble skimmer but it is hang mid-height of the partition. So the main thing now is to change it to those pump-driven I think, more powerful.

My Concerns:

1) I am not sure how those pump driven skimmer should work? Can I just use my existing water pump to draw in the water to the skimmer, and through the skimmer the water go to my chiller? Or do I need a 2nd pump for that?

2) If I do need a 2nd pump, I really wonder how to house all these equipment within a 10 inch x 6 inch liao

3) Even if the existing pump is enough, I believe those pump driven skimmers are slightly more bulky and have to sit on the bottom of the tank? I am not sure whether it can be hanged too...

In short, I really have problem figuring how to house the pump(s) and skimmer together in a 10 inch x 6 inch x 2ft height space.

• SRC Member

imo its better u use diff pump for the skimmer ....unless u have a "monster" :evil: pump...but it also depend on wat type of skimmer u r using too.....diff skimmer need diff flow rate

skimmer depend also on wat type....some is in sump some hang on n xternal too...

n the $$$ also varies :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

guess u do some research here to get a better idea ;);)

• SRC Member

You don't seem to have a sump? Best would be to put a sump below if you have space (next to the chiller maybe?) The sump wil give you best flexibility to operate you tank and test new techniques.

Otherwise, you can also get Hang-on type skimmers like the weipro 2014 and a powerhead inside the main tank to make it work. Even your chiller pump can be shifted inside the main tank. it doesn't have to be absolutely in that little space...

hope this helps.