Need advise on Macro, pump and sump.

35Cents

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Ok, as I am ready to get a macro needlewheel (AS150p or AS100p) together wif a new customised sump, I got a few enquires needing valued advises.

1. My 2ft tank is in my bedroom, that means that noisy equipment is undesirable. Read from reviews here that the AS150p is noisy. Is AS100p as noisy? Is there any way to reduce or eliminate the noise ie modification, new pump (wat brand, model, cost?)

2. Is there a possibility to use the Macro skimmer to act like a return pump to my main tank that is located about 1m above the sump? Also can AS150p or AS100p operate outside of the sump (both models too high for my tank table, like to view fish sitting on my lounger).

3. Is an Eheim 1048 (rated 600l/h) strong enough to act as a return pump for 2ft tank 1m above AND at the same time its output is spilted to go into an individual refugium? Meaning to say that water (main tank) > sump 1st compartment > skimmer > return compartment > return pump > main tank

> Refugium >return compartment

Sorry to ask so many confusing questions... need to know everything above to confirm sump/refu design.

Many thanks in advance! ;)

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member
3. Is an Eheim 1048 (rated 600l/h) strong enough to act as a return pump for 2ft tank 1m above AND at the same time its output is spilted to go into an individual refugium? Meaning to say that water (main tank) > sump 1st compartment > skimmer > return compartment > return pump > main tank

> Refugium >return compartment

I know eheim 1048 will not be able to pump water back to your tank at 1m height. You need a bigger pump, say Eheim 1250 or bigger. Another point to note is that people will design the return to be at least 6 times the turnover rate of the tank. ie tank vol 100litres => 600l/hr excluding all the losses.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Kareen, thanks for the advise on the pump. :D

Mine is a small 2ft 50 litre tank... besides eheim 1250, any other good tongkat ali pumps to recommend, anyone?

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

• SRC Member

Macro 150 and 100 both are same design except the volume it handle.

They do not have air diffuser like 300+ series

Return pump as mentioned by Kareen. I am using Ehiem 1250 from my 2 feet tank. My advice buy the right equipment at the first time and right.

Cheers

Moxa

• SRC Member
Macro 150 and 100 both are same design except the volume it handle.

They do not have air diffuser like 300+ series

Return pump as mentioned by Kareen. I am using Ehiem 1250 from my 2 feet tank. My advice buy the right equipment at the first time and right.

Cheers

Moxa

Re u saying the 300 series with air diffuser are not noisy?