u guys heard of this rumour?

shoelevy

maybe only for certain species of corals

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

dunno whether shld be sad or happy .

no coral , no life ... no coral , got more money in savings keke :lol:

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

wah lau

obviously is a bad thing if true lor.

actually ah...they wanna do sth should do sth bout global warming, anchoring and trawling...those r the real killers, how can they label people like us with every intention of keepiong the corals healthy and alive killers and stop us from buying rite?

• SRC Member

heheh....actually they try to promote artificial coral....like Sentosa Underwater.

Anyway if there is certain control it's good for our enviroment and our future generation...but..hehehehe reclaimation of land still going on....more coral are dying and the number are climbing.....so who at fault now...?

Sometime I think we should return the LS to the sea....if they not strive in our aquarium....not sure if anybody here done that before.

FYI: Cup coral

anemone crab

Blue tip anemone

Sweetlips

Frog Fish

Lion Fish

others forget already

had been returned to the sea at various beaches and islands here by me.

• SRC Member

how u return the cup coral and anemone to the reef? Hire a boat to bring u to a reeef and epoxy it to the reef?

don't tell me u just throw into the sea hor... if you let the fishes go too close to shore they are almost certainly doomed

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

I think it is bound to happen sooner or later and I think it's a very positive thing.

The conditions in which coral are removed from the sea today are catastrophic and difficult to control with legislation. for enforcing it, it is much easier to target the LFS level of the supply chain.

It will take only a while for the industry to devellop a coral farming industry where with a small amountof seed coral, a large quantity of corals will be produced for the hobbyists. This of course will push prices up as coral farming is more expensive.

the consequences will be that:

-the corals will be transported in better conditions to improve survival rate and LFs will atke better care also

- hobbyists will be a lot more careful about knowing their basics by reading up before starting with corals. they will not just get started and expect to learn by experience no matter what the casualties.

- hobbyists who cannot or do not want to purchase the appropriate equipment (expensive!!) to recreate a proper environment will not buy so many corals and keep replacing them when they die because they're so cheap anyway.

For the environment it will be all thumbs up.

The main negative point is that of course, many genuinely good and respectful reefers will have more difficulty affording the hobby economically if they are more limited financially. this will mean that instead of stocking up the tank in 6 months, they should spend 2 years doing it slowly slowly. this is how it happens in europe or the US where marine aquariums is a very expensive hobby because of the LS prices.

We all share the love of reefing. I just love it. But deep within myself, I know that the LS belongs in the sea and not in a tank at home for my selfish enjoyement. i also know that a lot of LS is wasted for the sake of this industry. I am guilty. I just try to do my best to reduce my impact. If the LS could be grown in Farms (with reduced impact to the wild life) like it is for the freshwater hobby, I would feel much better.

• SRC Member
I think it is bound to happen sooner or later and I think it's a very positive thing.

The conditions in which coral are removed from the sea today are catastrophic and difficult to control with legislation. for enforcing it, it is much easier to target the LFS level of the supply chain.

It will take only a while for the industry to devellop a coral farming industry where with a small amountof seed coral, a large quantity of corals will be produced for the hobbyists. This of course will push prices up as coral farming is more expensive.

the consequences will be that:

-the corals will be transported in better conditions to improve survival rate and LFs will atke better care also

- hobbyists will be a lot more careful about knowing their basics by reading up before starting with corals. they will not just get started and expect to learn by experience no matter what the casualties.

- hobbyists who cannot or do not want to purchase the appropriate equipment (expensive!!) to recreate a proper environment will not buy so many corals and keep replacing them when they die because they're so cheap anyway.

For the environment it will be all thumbs up.

The main negative point is that of course, many genuinely good and respectful reefers will have more difficulty affording the hobby economically if they are more limited financially. this will mean that instead of stocking up the tank in 6 months, they should spend 2 years doing it slowly slowly. this is how it happens in europe or the US where marine aquariums is a very expensive hobby because of the LS prices.

We all share the love of reefing. I just love it. But deep within myself, I know that the LS belongs in the sea and not in a tank at home for my selfish enjoyement. i also know that a lot of LS is wasted for the sake of this industry. I am guilty. I just try to do my best to reduce my impact. If the LS could be grown in Farms (with reduced impact to the wild life) like it is for the freshwater hobby, I would feel much better.

well said dude

well said

clap clap :bow::thanks::bow:

i do hope what u sae about the setting up of coral industry is right because that wae, both us and the eco system wil be happy.

by the wae, do u haf any info tt such farms are being set up or were u jus being optimistic?

• SRC Member

Tanks for the kind comments bro! :thanks:

Coral farming exists today and a number of associations are trying to provide current coral poachers with this new sustainable alternative.

this is one link below:

Coral farming

I had done some research on th subject a while back and had found a nice paper on how to set up a soft coral farm actually STEP BY STEP!! Very interesting. Might give ideas to some ;) You should dowload it and read it.

The only reason Coral farming is not so economical today is that it is cheaper and requires less investement and brainwork to tear coral from a natural reef. The end consumer (us) will always tend to buy the cheaper... But if the legislation to protect reef life is passed and enforced for real with fines and prison sentences, it will be a very good industry to be in and provide sustainable jobs to island people.

There is a real parallel between marine farming and fresh water farming. At the begining, there was little fresh water farming too until new technics were developped to make it sustainable and economical. Today we are in the infancy of marine farming. Today, Few fish only can be artificially bred economically, like clowns, some damsels and banggai cardinals... but in the future many more probably!!

Soft_coral_farm.pdf

Seems like what I'm gonna do in my school :lol:

Believe me, eveyone do their part, we can save the reefs

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
i've heard from a lfs, don't wanna mention which lfs, has said they heard next yr corals can no longer be sold due to conservation efforts.

u guys heard this or think this is possible? :cry2::cry2::cry:

I see the ole rumour is making it's rounds again......

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......