Rotifers culturing question!

chinmo

• SRC Member

helo guys! hope any bros who culture rotifers before help me out here, i just brought a small bottle of rotifers egg, i read the instrustion behind, very blur, catch no ball! :(

How do i hatch the rotifers? just like bbs? :huh:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

From what I know it is more difficult to start the rotifer culture with eggs....... nevertheless since u bought it already, it should be hatch like the brine shrimps eggs. One more thing to do, remeber to monitor the situation closely. U need to add nanochrolis (I don't think the spelling is correct) when they hatch which is a bit difficult to see. One lazy method is to put live alage solution when u r hatching it so that the algae don't turn bad and there is food when the baby rotifers hatch.

There will only be female rotifers carrying babies only when food is plentiful.

Click on the link, then the 'Navigation' bar for the menu. U should find some info on culturing rotifers, brine shrimps, etc.

http://www.sjwilson.net/reef/

Hope this helps.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

open vial, empty into a petri dish or plastic cup, add 20ml water, leave for 24hrs.

After 24hrs transfer to 250-500ml saltwater, add phyto- enough to tinge light green.

Once phyto clear- tinge water 2nd time.

After 2nd feeding clears, density will be dense enough to

Transfer to bigger volume (your actual culture container 1 or 2 or 3 or 4ltrs).

from then to infinity maintain your rotifer culture factory. :lol:

you only need 1 to hatch and you will get a culture. (one vial should contain abt 6000 eggs,if you bought the smallest)

Try to use pure nanno in culturing rotifers, it helps to keep the cultures cleaner. Easier to strain and feed to the tank.

• SRC Member
open vial, empty into a petri dish or plastic cup, add 20ml water, leave for 24hrs.

After 24hrs transfer to 250-500ml saltwater, add phyto- enough to tinge light green.

Once phyto clear- tinge water 2nd time.

After 2nd feeding clears, density will be dense enough to

Transfer to bigger volume (your actual culture container 1 or 2 or 3 or 4ltrs).

from then to infinity maintain your rotifer culture factory. :lol:

you only need 1 to hatch and you will get a culture. (one vial should contain abt 6000 eggs,if you bought the smallest)

Try to use pure nanno in culturing rotifers, it helps to keep the cultures cleaner. Easier to strain and feed to the tank.

Thanks bawater! so i just use salinty of 1.024?

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

yup, if that's your tank salinity.

although they are brackish in nature- they can be acclimated to full strength SW.

you want cultures to run as near as possible to tank conditions so that you don't send them into shock and die when feeding.

• SRC Member
helo guys! hope any bros who culture rotifers before help me out here, i just brought a small bottle of rotifers egg, i read the instrustion behind, very blur, catch no ball! :(

How do i hatch the rotifers? just like bbs?  :huh:

Hello Chinmo, kind enough to let me know the source of Rotifer. I am also looking for copepod culture. Thank in advance.

• SRC Member

Hello Chinmo, kind enough to let me know the source of Rotifer. I am also looking for copepod culture. Thank in advance.

u can buy rotifers eggs from reborn, copepods think can only culture urself. ;)

• SRC Member

Hi bawater, how long will a culture take to matured and ready to split for furthur cultures? am using rotirich for roti's food, adding 1-2 drop per day, cultures size...using 1.5l coke can. :huh:

• SRC Member

i don't know with rotirich (even though i got a 2 year old bottle in the fridge), its yeast based and i find water quality issues with using it.(water spoils within 1 batch)

and i have to change more water = more money for salt.

currently i only use the phytoplankton concentrate from aquaz (pure nanno) and i can get a batch ready to harvest in 4 days. (to split into a few cultures maybe in 2-3days)

for a 12ltr culture i use up abt a bottle($10) just over a month- at your volume that bottle most probably last u 4-6mths :lol:

1ml of paste will feed 1million rotifers per day. but i use the eye method, just tinge the water green and feed again when it clears everyday/every other day. (2-3 feedings and its ready).

2 mins per day for feeding and 10mins for harvest, that's all i spend on it.

i mix half a teaspoon with new salt water in a 500ml drink bottle and leave in the fridge (and leave paste in freezer). use this bottle to feed the cultures for the week,this feed solution can also be used for tank feeding :) . That's how i can feed everything so fast. The diluted solution will keep for a week easily in the fridge.

and the paste in the freezer can keep for a yr.

my batches are in 4ltrs. and with the nanno i can reused back 50-70% of the old water after straining.(meaning a 30% water change every harvest). saving me in salt.

• SRC Member

need to bubble, but not like bbs culture that kinda strong bubbles! ;)

• SRC Member
Hi Chinmo, why the sudden interest in rotifer culturing? ;) I thought baby seahorses go for larger zooplankton?

well... according to seahorse.org... if fed rots and bbs for the first week, will raise the sucess rate of them to adults. hence trying to culture lor :P

• SRC Member

Bro Bawater, how does rotifers swim ard like? swirling in circular motion? i shine light through e cultures and see a lot of small specks swirling.... is that e rots? :)

• SRC Member
:thanks::yeah: i 've got the rots culture going! :P

• SRC Member
:) in future if have excess rots, will let u guys know. :P

• SRC Member

bro Bawater, let say if i go away for a week or a mth, i nvr feed the rots culture, will the culture crashed! and nvr be revive? or can soter a culture in frigde to save for future culturing? :huh: