If I wanna frag a STN SPS colony...

ervine

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I've given up hope on my (only) SPS colony ever recovering from STN... the healthy branches are doing well, even splitting into new branches, but the base is basically a skeleton and has even been overcome by algae...

So the decision now is to frag it into several pieces, stick them down to loose rubble then wait... after they stabalize then maybe I trade off a few away..

Thing is I can't remember if I should snip off the branches above or below the STN line... anyone can help?

Thanks!

Ervine

• SRC Member

If it's STN I would leave it as it. It's not looking good but survise chance is high.

If you grag it there is less chance......

I read somewhere on RC stated that base STN mean you have not enough flow.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

yeah I read that too but the thing is some hair algae has grown over the base of the colony (sigh, neglect on my part)... Hm.. maybe I try to clear the algae up first and wait a while longer see how.. coz the tips are doing quite well nowadays...

If I frag just one branch shouldn't be too much damage done to the mother colony right?

• SRC Member
I had that problem once before, I used a toothbrush and gently scrub off the algae. Followed by increasing the water flow around the colony, be sure to do this gently. STN stopped and it recovered, until tank crashed <_<

do the scrubbing gently or water flow gently? I assume it's scrubbing...

• SRC Member

Okay got it done at last...

The algae was quite stubborn and it had already grown into the very base of the colony, had to snip out a few branches to get to the base to clean it out... might as well, coz I re-planted those branches, hopefully might get a small colony out of them...

Thanks guys...