Additional information on Artemia

FuEl

Decided to share some additional information on artemia culturing. Some things were new to me.

1)Hatch rate is superior in lower salinities (5% is optimal). Seawater has a salinity of 35%.

2)Illumination of the culture will enhance the hatch rate.

3)Best timing to enrich brine shrimp would be 12 hours after they hatch (They can only begin feeding after they moult into Instar 2).

4)Artemia cysts of higher nutritional value are collected from Great Salt Lake, Utah.

Decapsulation method

1)1g of cysts are hydrated in 25ml of freshwater for 1hr.

2)Add 10ml hypochlorite solution (bleach) + 1ml 0.15% NaOH solution. Observe the cysts turning to orange in 5-10 mins.

3)Transfer cysts to sieve mesh (a coffee strainer or any cloth bag will work well) and wash with running freshwater

4)Dissolve 0.25g of sodium thiosulphate in 250ml of freshwater and dip the decapsulated cysts in it.

5)Cysts can be put into hatching vessel.

Decapsulation benefits

-potential digestive and disease problems caused by cyst shells can be avoided

-cysts are disinfected from any possible contaminants

-hatching rate will be improved

-larvae of fish n crustaceans can feed on decapsulated cysts directly

-no messy left over cyst shells in the hatching vessel

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Thanks for sharing bro, I am sure, with your help, soon we will be one of the best forum to go for good reliable information in this region. :bow::thanks:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Where to get these?

1. 0.15% NaOH solution

2. 0.25g of sodium thiosulphate

Thankz...

Ask any chemistry students...they should know. I forgot most of my chemistry, but I think 0.15% is the same as 0.15 moles. Anyone who is taking chemistry at A levels or past that should be able to help you.. I'm lazy to dig up mole concept from within my brains, it has already been banished. :lol:

Ask any chemistry students...they should know. I forgot most of my chemistry, but I think 0.15% is the same as 0.15 moles. Anyone who is taking chemistry at A levels or past that should be able to help you.. I'm lazy to dig up mole concept from within my brains, it has already been banished. :lol:

Not found in the commercial market huh... lol...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

I think time to rob my school's chemistry labs le! hahaha..

but honestly i also dont quite get your meaning about 0.15% of NaOH.

But for the grammes part i think kinda understand. But it is dependable on the molarity of the sodium thiosulphate solution.

If anyone thinks i am talking Greek here.. well... its just chem.. sorry :)

• SRC Member
I think time to rob my school's chemistry labs le! hahaha..

but honestly i also dont quite get your meaning about 0.15% of NaOH.

But for the grammes part i think kinda understand. But it is dependable on the molarity of the sodium thiosulphate solution.

If anyone thinks i am talking Greek here.. well... its just chem.. sorry :)

0.15% is the concentration of NAOH

• SRC Member

0.15% is the concentration of NAOH

Okie. I get what you mean decentkid. But 0.15% wont get you the concentration of the solution. If talking abt concentration it's usually moles per dm^3 tats the usual statement for the concentration of a reagent. Hope you get what i mean... ;)

• SRC Member

Okie. I get what you mean decentkid. But 0.15% wont get you the concentration of the solution. If talking abt concentration it's usually moles per dm^3 tats the usual statement for the concentration of a reagent. Hope you get what i mean... ;)

15ml of NaOH to 100l of water gets u 0.15% if i never calculate wrongly

• 2 weeks later...

Nutritional information.

Brine shrimp eggs from Great Salt Lake, USA (dry weight of artemia nauplii: 41.6% protein, 23.1% fat, 22.7% carbohydrate).

Second best IMO would be from Tuticorin, India (dry weight of artemia nauplii: 58.0% protein, 23.3% fat, 12.8% carbohydrate).

Other 2 sources would be :

San Francisco Bay (dry weight of artemia nauplii : 50.3% protein, 15.9% lipid, neglibible carbohydrates).

Hanibantota, Sri Lanka (dry weight of artermia nauplii : 66.8% protein, 14.1% fat, 12.7% carbohydrates)

Generally for marine larvae or juveniles, a diet rich in essential fatty acids is important for normal development. Which is why choosing the right source of brine shrimp eggs is crucial.

• 2 weeks later...