Hatching Frogfish Eggs

weishun

• SRC Member
Hmm.. you mean you must leave the parents with the eggs ah? I seperated the eggs already leh.. What to do now?

hi bro ...

i heard from a local reefer that the egg cannot be out of the water or else it will die ......hehe so becareful when u move them away :D

cheers :

p/s : hope it hatch , maybe u can sell me one ?? :P

Do some reading up on the species...you will have to refer to scientific journals.. If the larvae hatch out with still yolk sac reserves you don't have to feed them immediately. If the larvae hatch out ready to feed you will have to feed them immediately with rotifers initially. If you are serious to raise them, it will be alot of work. You won't be able to set up the larvae tank, rotifer culture tanks in time, not to mention you need micro-algae to keep the rotifer cultures sufficiently enriched. You'll need to find out what micro-algae would be best to enrich the rotifers with as different fish species have different nutrition demands as they grow. Yeast can be used to keep the rotifers going but you will still have to enrich the rotifers with micro-algae as these have the essential fatty acids, etc which the larvae need to develop normally. Also you will need sieves of the appropriate size to separate the larvae from the tank water should you choose to implement water changes or some kind of filtration.

It would be great to attempt to breed them in captivity. The marine industry needs more people to culture aquarium specimens. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

we are all waiting for you to come back and teach us how..... :lol:

Ah...if i come back...kinda like the life here..everyone's so friendly and I can see frilled dragons and kookabaras on my campus..see how it goes..if I return to sg but still no proper job vacancies...scr*w it and I'll just settle in australia. :heh:

• SRC Member

i saw a documentry about frog fish before...

its says that the male frog fish is fused into the female body after it found the female mate..

that means the male frog fish is just a tiny lump of flesh on the female body.. like a parasite.. but can't be seperated at all ..

the fertilizing is done thru fluid transfer internally...

so who noe!! u may have bought a frog fish pair... just that u dun see the male ..

BTW,.. is the egg .. a transparent gel that looks like the shape of a chicken eggyolk?

if yes .. then i might have throw away a few .. last time my friend's frog fish always "vomit" out transparent gel in shape of a eggyolk..

• SRC Member
i saw a documentry about frog fish before...

its says that the male frog fish is fused into the female body after it found the female mate..

that means the male frog fish is just a tiny lump of flesh on the female body.. like a parasite.. but can't be seperated at all ..

the fertilizing is done thru fluid transfer internally...

so who noe!! u may have bought a frog fish pair... just that u dun see the male ..

BTW,.. is the egg .. a transparent gel that looks like the shape of a chicken eggyolk?

if yes .. then i might have throw away a few .. last time my friend's frog fish always "vomit" out transparent gel in shape of a eggyolk..

hi ...

sorry but u mean the frogfish lay eggs by vomit out the eggs ?????

OMG..!!!!

:P

hi ...

sorry but u mean the frogfish lay eggs by vomit out the eggs ?????

OMG..!!!!

:P

:lol: Erm..think you are confused between deep sea anglerfish and the frogfish.. Anyway, no fishes produce eggs from the mouth.. :nc:

• SRC Member

yup.. thats why i din think much when i throw the transparent gel away .. becos it came out from the mouth of one of the frog fish .. so i tot... cannot be egg ..

Fuel!!.. oh .. so only deep sea angler is like wat the documentry said huh..??

i tot all angler is like that .. :lol:

• SRC Member
Actually i also dunno what happened. The eggs doesn't seems to be hatching and turned brown and some sort of dissolved.

hi bro,,,...

maybe the egg wasn't fertilized????? could that be the reason???

cheers :)