Diy Culture Station

keithtanbb

as best as I can fit into my schedule, constrcuted a culture staion with PVC/florescent lites from hardware store, plankton disk arrived from Florida, used brand new goodies containers, rigid pipe from garden supply, brand POPE...

post-18-1109647476.jpg

vipersig.jpg

wished I had taken pics of the process, but last sunday was terribly hot/humid, took me full day to do it up, fit it into the cupboard under-neath the tank, I chose pyramid and easily available items, so u guys can modifly and improve on it, as I did...with lots of help from the web, and this site.

post-18-1109648051.jpg

vipersig.jpg

harvested my 2nd crop....started with 1x 1.7 litre bottle,after 1 week 3x 1.7 litre bottle, , now I am running 9x 1.7 litres bottle with 3x 1.5 litre in the fridge, take minumum 5 days to harvest them, Want to keep them fresh.I save some in my fridge will be giving some to friends....Gonna redo my lighting /culture station, I bought 2 slimmer cabinet fluorescent 3 feet lights 6500k strength (with much less heat generated).As I am running the cuture under shelter in the car-porch, temperature goes up to 35 degree celsius!!!! in the noon to 3.30pm period.Will post new pics, (progressice pics)

post-18-1110527148.jpg

vipersig.jpg

corals looking fed, and happy 4 hours after feeding, I put the skimmer on a timer to start 6 hrs after the morning feed,as I will be feeding plankton(rotifers later) on a daily basis...needless to point out the benefits of "LIVE" food.I still have 3x(florida Farm) algae Disk and 1x resting rotifer start -up kit.thinking of selling them . Will be using miracle -gro, all purpose fertilizer later as substitute for the plankton feed.

post-18-1110527498.jpg

vipersig.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

1) you'll need 2x 3 feet fluorescent lights ($25 each) (lumen of 2700k or 6500k(mid-day sun intensity), I prefer the 6500k ;T5-less heat lights fixture from hardware store, electronic ballast which I bought in geyland.

2) 1x 2gang air-pump ($18/), if you plan to have more than 12 bottles running, than you can get 4 gang.

3) some white water pipes as support, or if you have wood/containers to prop up the lights , will do as well (2x L fittings, 4x T-joints, 4 x end joint)

4) 2- 3 metres air-tubings, cut to desired lenght

5) Rigid air lines, or as I have done , gone to far east- florist and used water sprinklers tubings(brand is POPE) ...they are hardy, and dont bend easily.If you are going to Australia, buy them at gardening corner in dept.stores...cheaper....

6) I used goodies containers, as you can see from my post.they cost ard $1/- each, buy like 20, as you run 12 bottles, max, save some as reserve. Plan to freeze the plankton into cubes...(I even bought a vertical fridge from fisher payel....haha.

***) I configure 2 solar panel, to get "free" power to run 4x 12volts PC cooling fans....

The cost is around $125 for the cuture station, and $220 for my one of the solar energy.......(FYI)

vipersig.jpg

from my experience, lesson learnt so far, dont attempt to fluctuate the temperature of the culture too drastically, at room temperatrure up to 35 degree celsius ambient temp. is ok, ( i tried using ice-pack, it crashed!, the color of the culture good indicator of health. I am using alternative plants fertilizers to grow plankton, so be careful of adding them directly into the tank. I think 7 to 9 days before harvesting he culture is better than 5-6 days.Label them, so u know what u put in and the date you start them.I am feeding the cubes plankton for my rotifers.

vipersig.jpg

the side profile, I only used stainless steel nuts and bolts to fix the lights to the pipes, did not glue the fixture as I want to ba able to vary the hright if I need, so had spare pipes cut to size...stored away

post-18-1112594037.jpg

vipersig.jpg

sorry man, got a few enquires (they PM me...then went silent...haha) all I was trying to recover was cost/time...anyway gave it to my brother -in-law, but setting new one up. this time using T-5 tubes....cooler than the bigger tubes...running the new station for 2 weeks now....12 bottles per 7 days(better to let them mature than harvest within 5-6 days)

vipersig.jpg