culturing mysis.... how?

chinmo

• SRC Member

as above bros..... any idea or website that show u how other than the ones in seahorse.org?

Bro fuel, any ideas? :P

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

If I don't remember wrongly mysis hatcheries feed them brine shrimp right? I suppose rotifers would be too small for mysis. As for newly hatched mysis, I'm not sure if bbs would be too big, you might have to consult some culture manuals for that. These should be easily available in university libraries or online, through the aquaculture journals.

I have not learnt anything on crustacean aquaculture as yet, only bivalves.

But I could say that if you want to culture mysis you would have to start large cultures of microalgae that would feed your artemia, making them nutritious in highly unsaturated fatty acids like EPA and DHA before the mysis consume them. The good thing about this is that since you are not feeding the algae directly to larvae (Eg. bivalve larvae) you could culture them in an open concept (not sterile). And a note in case you decide to start culturing microalgae. I just learnt that it is best to start new cultures from a batch of existing culture that is in it's exponential phase (due to growth rates and nutritional profile). No point starting a new culture in its peak phase as the algae would be much lower in nutritional values by then.

Species that come to mind would be pavlova, T-iso, chaetoceros. These are the more commonly used microalgae due to nutritional profiles.

Brine shrimp only feed 12 hours after hatching. Best to let them feed for at least a few hours prior to feeding them to mysis.

As for the mysis tank, try to make it round like all culture tanks. There seems to be a reason for avoiding corners in culture tanks. It's a common practice to have a overflow pipe going through the center and exiting from below the round tank, attached to a gate valve for drain down purposes. This makes it convenient for water changes. Simply drain everything into a netting of suitable size and transfer your mysis to a new tank later on. Leave the old tank to soak in chlorine for awhile and let it dry for one day before utilising it again.

Chlorination should be done in all used containers or equipment to minimise contamination with blablabla. ;)

Anyway, I'm rather tied down with assignments right now. I'm literally drowning in them. I'll try to look for information for you when I have more time to myself. ;) Meanwhile you might want to get familiar with microalgae culture. You can feed brine shrimp frozen microalgae, but biofouling will be a problem especially if you overfeed.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

This is the website that sell live mysis shrimps. You can try correspond with them and see whether they answer your questions. I have correspond with them before, quite helpful.

http://mysid.reed-mariculture.com/mysidopsisbahia.asp

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member
This is the website that sell live mysis shrimps. You can try correspond with them and see whether they answer your questions. I have correspond with them before, quite helpful.

http://mysid.reed-mariculture.com/mysidopsisbahia.asp

cool! thanks Kareen! :)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!