Mainebetta's Amphiprion percula - first spawn

marinebetta

• SRC Member

Well, now that the fries from the first spawn of my black perculas have made it past the most critical phases, it's time to do a pictoral essay :)

First, the pair

post-57-1113395473.jpg

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Day 3.....the tiny specks floating around are rotifers (Thanks to Cookiemunster and Bawater who rescued me as I was late in starting up a culture!)

post-57-1113395880.jpg

• SRC Member

Day 15..... only 4 fries made it through the metamorphosis stage and this one is the runt - still not developing the head band yet and actually only did so about another 3-4 days later

post-57-1113396306.jpg

• SRC Member

Day 19....Can you believe it, they are already bickering with each other! :ooh::cry: Just found out that this is quite normal...not enough of them to crowd out the instinct!

post-57-1113396656.jpg

• SRC Member

wah good for u bro.... u inspire me to get a anemone and a mate for my maroon clown.... :P:P

:bow::bow::bow: No wonder you were asking me about copepods..now I know.. :D

Anyway, did you experience "surface death" of the larvae? Since majority of them died during metamorphosis stage it might be due to insufficient enrichment of diets. What enrichment method did you use? I might be able to give 1 cent of possible improvements. :peace:

Anyway..nice broodstock. :eyebrow: I seen a pair of jet black perculas down here..but at around aus $130++ it seemed :shock:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
:bow::bow::bow: No wonder you were asking me about copepods..now I know.. :D

Anyway, did you experience "surface death" of the larvae? Since majority of them died during metamorphosis stage it might be due to insufficient enrichment of diets. What enrichment method did you use? I might be able to give 1 cent of possible improvements. :peace:

Anyway..nice broodstock. :eyebrow: I seen a pair of jet black perculas down here..but at around aus $130++ it seemed :shock:

Buy! Buy! Buy!...cost less than this pair anyway ;)

Actually lost most of them on the transition from rotifers to BBS....not so free to feed 3 times daily so probably overfed with my 1x daily feedings :D Metamorphosis was a piece of cake by comparison!

Need those pods! :lol::lol:

Hmmm..posted a new topic in this section for you and Chinmo. I think the transition might be due to the nutritional composition of artemia, which means these probably have be enriched more compared to rotifers. Might be due to the origin of the artemia eggs too...get the ones from Great Salt Lake...the most nutritious! Stock them up during Aquarama. :eyebrow:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

hey interesting....

wanted to do that... but didn't due to time commitment... singaporeans can breed marine fishes too... why muz we import our cb fishes haha... best luck... anyway care to share ur tank setup for this brood?

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

As for all the queries regarding how to breed/raise them: It's really not too difficult - feed the pair well, isolate the larvae, feed rotifers, then progress to bbs....No holidays till they take bbs! :lol:

Most of all - get Joyce Wilkinson's book! Even tho you think you already know the procedures by heart, you will find yourself going back and referring to the text over and over again! Kind of like studying for exams :lol::lol:

• SRC Member
As for all the queries regarding how to breed/raise them: It's really not too difficult - feed the pair well, isolate the larvae, feed rotifers, then progress to bbs....No holidays till they take bbs! :lol:

Most of all - get Joyce Wilkinson's book! Even tho you think you already know the procedures by heart, you will find yourself going back and referring to the text over and over again! Kind of like studying for exams :lol::lol:

wow! hats off to your dedication, must be a wonderful and exciting but not forgeting, enjoyable period for you, just like caring for a newborn. :)