Ornamental crustacean culture

FuEl

Which species would you buy?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which species would you buy?

• Lysmata genus (blood shrimps and skunk cleaner shrimp)
    • Urocaridella genus (rock cleaner/arrow shrimps)
    • Thor amboinensis (sexy shrimp)
    • Gnathophyllum americanum (bumblebee shrimp)
    • Lybia tesselata (boxing crab)

Hmmm...before embarking on my research topic next semester, thought I should get some advices from fellow hobbyists. I left out commensal crustaceans as they would probably be a pain to breed.

Hope I get success with the species I end up choosing cause the aquarium market here pays big $ for shrimps. From what I heard a blood shrimp down here costs around Aus $100 at retail. :evil:

So..help me by voting guys! :P

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Lysmata spp would be best as much is known about their life cycles and it sonds like it is not difficult (in your situation with all the aquaculture support) to do. The high price in oz is a bonus....here, you would just go for peppermints!

###### shrimps would be good too but I think they are not easy to do? Search RC - there is a thread on breeding these guys.

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

Howdy fuel,

i second that -any of the lysmata sp, due to the constant high demand in the hobby it can be commercial sustainable if you are able to get high survival rates. You will be looking at around a 90-120 day larvae care with the different PL stages.

Dig into commercial shrimp farming data & methods, the answers are there.

drop me a pm if you need help.

Thanks for your replies guys. I have done a little reading up, although not very thorough. So far I came across information on peppermint shrimps, blood shrimps and the normal cleaner shrimps. So far peppermint shrimps seem to be the easiest due to rather short larval stage, however I don't think I will be able to get my hands on them down here. As for blood shrimps, they also have shorter larval stages compared to the skunk cleaner shrimps. Food and rearing conditions does'nt seem to pose a problem. The only problem I face is the settlement cue that they need. Have'nt been able to find much information on that..is that an industry secret? :ph34r:

• 1 year later...

I guess lots of secrets by those doing aquaculturing, the number one common practice that I have heard from those breeding Lysmata in the US is plenty of phyto.

Stable water/conditions is another.

• 2 years later...
Thanks for your replies guys. I have done a little reading up, although not very thorough. So far I came across information on peppermint shrimps, blood shrimps and the normal cleaner shrimps. So far peppermint shrimps seem to be the easiest due to rather short larval stage, however I don't think I will be able to get my hands on them down here. As for blood shrimps, they also have shorter larval stages compared to the skunk cleaner shrimps. Food and rearing conditions does'nt seem to pose a problem. The only problem I face is the settlement cue that they need. Have'nt been able to find much information on that..is that an industry secret? :ph34r:

hv u tried searching e net in a different langauge?

like chinese...

i heard taiwan pple hv high success breeding for shrimps..

y would they wan to share if its a fat $ pie ????

bro vandeam got some special shrimp from alaska though.. u got any pics of it ?

• Senior Reefer

i vote for blood shrimps ^^ they are hardy, pretty and hopefully easy to breed (i don;t know about that but im sure you do). and since it pays really great, my vote will be for blood shrimp

• 2 years later...
  • SRC Member

any tips for Hawaiian strawberry crabs? only used liquidfry /rotifiers couldnt get them past 2 weeks. Next batch will scoop babies into gallon jar use air pump big bubbles no diffuser. can supply me recommended food if the female pregnant again?

any tips for Hawaiian strawberry crabs? only used liquidfry /rotifiers couldnt get them past 2 weeks. Next batch will scoop babies into gallon jar use air pump big bubbles no diffuser. can supply me recommended food if the female pregnant again?

0 experience with them, no one has even done them nor even reports on their larval cycle. You should try newly hatched artemia once they're big enough. Settlement is a different issue altogether, many unknown variables that can affect this.

• Sponsor

Hope to try again... gallon jar with sponge filter or just few big bubbles per second better for larvae ?

Try an inverted 2L soda bottle with 1-2 large bubbles per second. Crab larvae are'nt exactly the best of swimmers.

Distributor for Fauna Marin, Reed Mariculture, Reef Nutrition, APBreed, Dr G's Mariculture, Florida Aquafarms, Repashy Superfoods, New Era Aquaculture.