Suspected frogfish is loaded wif eggs..

Lester

• SRC Member
If it goes down over a day or two, then it probably just ate a very big meal. ;)

hi boss...

but haven been feeding it for 2days liao... hmm if plus today will be three days...

cheers :D

• SRC Member

hi guys

i think the frogfish is reali loaded wif eggs... haven been feeding it for 3 dyas liao.. bt the stomach still becoming bigger and bigger.. hmm but no male..

manage to get some info on the mating behavior

Mating Behavior

There are no means to differ the male and female frogfish, for example by coloration or size except by examining the gonads by dissection.

The following photos show the courtship and spawning behavior of several species of frogfishes. About 8 to 12 hours prior to spawning, the female begins to fill up with eggs (40'000 to 180'000 eggs). This proceeds at a rapid rate so that shortly before spawning she is so distended, it is hard for her to maintain her position on the bottom. She becomes buoyant (tail up as shown) and is followed around closely by the male. The male continues to nudge the female in the abdomen, and they move quickly to the surface, where spawning occurs.

Parenting ends with mating. The thousands of eggs are released as an epipelagic egg raft (or veil), that drifts for several days and then sinks to the bottom after the embryos hatch. The planktonic stage lasts probably 1 to 2 months. Juvenile frogfish look like smaller versions of their adult forms, but some show special defensive colors.

• SRC Member

hi guys ...

it have been a few days liao.. the frogfish stomach is still swollen... hmm i think it is reali fill with eggs.. but i have no males for her ..............

post-57-1120211840.jpg

Don't worry the female won't become egg-bound. If mating does not occur, oocyte atresia will take place. This simply means she will breakdown the eggs and assimilate the nutrients.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

If anything hatches make sure you give me one fish!!!!!

AG_fishjumping.gif

3.5 X 2.5 X 2.5 Reef Coming up :))

136+39(UK)

163+47(US)

618+178L

Or it will expel the eggs in a raft, just like what my Histrio did (twice in 2 weeks). Sometimes frogfish will bloat/expand themselves up with air, but have not seen this continue for more than a day.

If it does expel the eggs, do take a picture of it. My egg raft is shown in the picture below.

post-57-1129732411.jpg

• SRC Member
Or it will expel the eggs in a raft, just like what my Histrio did (twice in 2 weeks). Sometimes frogfish will bloat/expand themselves up with air, but have not seen this continue for more than a day.

If it does expel the eggs, do take a picture of it. My egg raft is shown in the picture below.

yap i agreed... my are just like that :)