question on BBS

gOTHIKa

decided to try out hatching BBS to feed my LS.

but i have several questions to clear before getting hands on.

will the BBS jump? do i need to cover up the container? how small can the container be?(in case the container too big cant catch:lol:)

:thanks: in advance ;)

• SRC Member

they dont jump

it the bubbles from the air pump make them jump:)

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

oh i see. :thanks:

wad about container size? how small can it be if i wanted to collect the BBS more efficiently?

u cant catch them...cos u will need those net used for harvesting plankton ...coffee strainer is also possible...but u will also catch the egg shells...one method is to use light to attract the BBS then shiphon them out from that region

u cant catch them...cos u will need those net used for harvesting plankton ...coffee strainer is also possible...but u will also catch the egg shells...one method is to use light to attract the BBS then shiphon them out from that region

hmmmm...that seems pretty "cheem" leh :P

so wad do u guys usually do? using a black container? :thanks: in advance

• SRC Member

just use a 1.5 or 2L 100 plus bottle

Must be 100 plus nto coke or lemon tea

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

Just make a simple BBS hatchery.

1. Cut the base of a 1.5 litre software drink plastic bottle.

2. Drill a small hole on the cap and insert an air tube through the hole. Make sure the seams are properly sealed.

3. invert the bottle, fill with salt water, put in some high quality eggs and hook up the air tube to a air pump and let the setup run for 18 hours

4. to harvest, just turn off the air pump, and clamp the air tube (you don't want salt water to flow back into the air pump). Leave the setup for about 20 mins. the BBS will sink to the bottom as orangy particles, the egg shells will float on the surface of the water. Just release the clamp on the air hose and drain the bottom BBS to a container and you are ready to feed.

Alternative, just go to the supplies shop to get the decapsulated ones and save all the trouble.

:D

Just make a simple BBS hatchery.

1. Cut the base of a 1.5 litre software drink plastic bottle.

2. Drill a small hole on the cap and insert an air tube through the hole. Make sure the seams are properly sealed.

3. invert the bottle, fill with salt water, put in some high quality eggs and hook up the air tube to a air pump and let the setup run for 18 hours

4. to harvest, just turn off the air pump, and clamp the air tube (you don't want salt water to flow back into the air pump). Leave the setup for about 20 mins. the BBS will sink to the bottom as orangy particles, the egg shells will float on the surface of the water. Just release the clamp on the air hose and drain the bottom BBS to a container and you are ready to feed.

Alternative, just go to the supplies shop to get the decapsulated ones and save all the trouble.

:D

:thanks: for ur info bro.

didn't know that the shells will float and BBS stays below :P

• SRC Member

Used to hatch TONNES for my discus babies. Have to separate the BBS from the shells because the discus babies will have indigestion if they eat the shells and die.

Last time even have to rinse the BBS properly because the babies cannot handle salt.

Used to hatch TONNES for my discus babies. Have to separate the BBS from the shells because the discus babies will have indigestion if they eat the shells and die.

Last time even have to rinse the BBS properly because the babies cannot handle salt.

well guess we won't have to bother about the salt cuz we are feeding to marine fishes :lol:

• SRC Member

will keep that in mind bro :)

:peace:

Actually, I used to use the kitchen salt. A lot cheaper and it works just as well. The key thing which I have experimented seems to be the salinity and sufficient turbulence to keep the eggs rolling and aerated.

Another important factor is the quality of the eggs. I bought the tin can type which has to be refigerated to maintance the freshess and hatch rate.

In order for the BBS to be useful, you have to feed with in 6 hours of hatching. This is because the larve will still have the yolk sack attached, essentially the main bulk of the nutrition. Any time longer than that, you will just have the standard Brine Shrimp which is essentially just husk and water.