Anemone death in captivity

zephyros

How did your anemone die?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. How did your anemone die?

• Death by powerhead (Anemone got stuck in PH)
    • Death by expelling guts (due to incorrect water and/or light requirement)
    • Death inflicted (sting to death) by other corals
    • Eaten by LS
    • Other unknown causes

My anamone fell off the rock and just didnt want to stick back onto the rocks. So i tot it must be dying. was quite tempted to take it out.

However i noticed that it wasn't shrinking nor its mouth was wide opened. It still can open up as per normal. It just simply refuse to anchor itself onto the rocks.

What could be the problem here?

• SRC Member

me experience so far on anemone is fine... so long as you are willing to cater to its needs. let it settle down then start to arrange other corals around it... can never be another way round.

it is worth the trouble when the sight of the clowns playing with the anemone, such a joy to see

post-72-1151652476.jpg

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• 2 months later...
me experience so far on anemone is fine... so long as you are willing to cater to its needs. let it settle down then start to arrange other corals around it... can never be another way round. that is what i did too previously

it is worth the trouble when the sight of the clowns playing with the anemone, such a joy to see

agree

what are your thoughts of allelopathy?

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

i also gt stung by my bubble tip anemone.. there is red dot on it.. if press on it .. it pain .. will it affect our human body

and btw is it alright for 2 anemone next to each other ?? touching each other

stitched001ov7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I just got an anemone (Bubble tip), so i got some questions to ask.

Q1: By "stinging", does Bubble tip anemone sting human hands as well?

Q2: How do I know if I have been stung? (does the pain comes immediately or just numbness?)

Q3: What are signs that the anemone is dying? e.g. shrunk? change color? does not stick to rock?

any pointers for a beginner like me? thanks!

Hi guys,

I just got an anemone (Bubble tip), so i got some questions to ask.

Q1: By "stinging", does Bubble tip anemone sting human hands as well?

Q2: How do I know if I have been stung? (does the pain comes immediately or just numbness?)

Q3: What are signs that the anemone is dying? e.g. shrunk? change color? does not stick to rock?

any pointers for a beginner like me? thanks!

Hi Kent,

I'm no expert but here's what I know from reading up before

1) Yes, sometimes u do get stings from anemones, therefore not reccommended to use bare hands to handle them

2) U can definitely feel it, be it rashes or slight swelling

3) When it's shrunk, or moving all over your tank, most likely it's stressed or it cannot find a good spot for good lightings and good flow.

Here's some really good info

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=298642

• 11 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hi all,

I am pretty new to the Marine Fish keeping hobby... ( almost a month only.. so I'm a baby compared to all of you) So happened I saw this thread and read it since I have an anemone in my 2 feet tank.

It caused allot of sleepless nights for my husband and I because it kept on moving around and was looking very "retracted" and the colour was not "luminous".. basically looked sickly. We do have one tomato Clown fish whch will constantly follow the anemone whereever it went. We started to feed it everyday and after about 1 week of moving around, it has finally settled between 2 big rocks facing outwards.

I hope and pray that it survives for as long as possible cause reading some of the posts have made me very scared now to go home in case something terrible happens.

Here is a picture of it with our clown fish whom we call : Ketchup!

1813171334_e8d26f237d.jpg

cheers,

Desi.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member
Hi all,

I am pretty new to the Marine Fish keeping hobby... ( almost a month only.. so I'm a baby compared to all of you) So happened I saw this thread and read it since I have an anemone in my 2 feet tank.

It caused allot of sleepless nights for my husband and I because it kept on moving around and was looking very "retracted" and the colour was not "luminous".. basically looked sickly. We do have one tomato Clown fish whch will constantly follow the anemone whereever it went. We started to feed it everyday and after about 1 week of moving around, it has finally settled between 2 big rocks facing outwards.

I hope and pray that it survives for as long as possible cause reading some of the posts have made me very scared now to go home in case something terrible happens.

Here is a picture of it with our clown fish whom we call : Ketchup!

1813171334_e8d26f237d.jpg

cheers,

Desi.

Hello baby, LOL

Anemone likes higher water flow and good lightings. It moved to find a better choice of located which has that flow and lighting. When one day, it thinks it can find another better spot, it will move again. Clownfish prefers anemone to be their home so will sure follow. Anemone has the most strongest stink among all corals so can protect them from enemies. You can introduce Ketchup a mate so wont be lonely. At first, both clowns will quarrel to be the dominant but later will be mates.

Dont worry, just let nature takes its course.

Do you have a chiller? Anemone will strive with chiller.

Maintain feeding everyday. Cautious with Ketchup as some clownfish will steal or throw away the food from anemone. However some will take food to feed anemone.

• SRC Member

Hi Reeftask,

THANKS for the ultra fast response. Yes, the anenemoe has settled down ( thank the gods of fish!) and is looking very well as you can see from the picture. Is that color alright from your or anyone else's experience? I have been reading on the link provided in this thread on anamoneas and I wonder whether mine has been "altered". I don't think so but then again, with my limited experience, I can't tell!

And yes, we were thinking of adding another smaller Tomato clown to join our ketchup but I have also read that they may fight to assert dominance. I am just worried that Ketchup will not accept another clown at all as the shop owner did warn us of the risk we are taking IF we try to intro another clown ( even if it's a smaller one). But we will wait a little while more for the tank to be more stable before thinking of getting another clown. At the moment, we have only ketchup and 2 small hawawiian damsels ( we call them zip and zap!) in the tank and ROCKY our boxer shrimp besides 3 other kinds of soft corals. We are considering getting one cleaner shrimp too.

We do not have a chiller at the moment. Our tank temperature is between 27-28 degrees. Rather constant. The PH is always 8-8.1 and salinity is about 1.023 ( I hope I remenbered that right but it's in the "green" range on my hydrometer). So far we have done all the testing ( ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, calcium, KH etc) and everything seems to be in the acceptable ranges.

Ketchup is a greedy little fish.. he eats and POOPS allot! LOL!!!

cheers, Desi ( baby.. aka plankton?...)

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

• SRC Member
No chiller atm... our temp seems stable enough at about 27-28 degree.

btw, i'm named after our clownfish if you havent noticed... LOL.

Yeah, I noticed. Actually I wanna bring up and say, " If you have any questions, can ask the other Ketchup, a man himself." But rather not confuse her, LOL

Is Zip, Zap and Rocky named after your bros and sis? Or pets/sons, daughters? LOL.

• SRC Member
Hi Reeftask,

THANKS for the ultra fast response. Yes, the anenemoe has settled down ( thank the gods of fish!) and is looking very well as you can see from the picture. Is that color alright from your or anyone else's experience? I have been reading on the link provided in this thread on anamoneas and I wonder whether mine has been "altered". I don't think so but then again, with my limited experience, I can't tell!

And yes, we were thinking of adding another smaller Tomato clown to join our ketchup but I have also read that they may fight to assert dominance. I am just worried that Ketchup will not accept another clown at all as the shop owner did warn us of the risk we are taking IF we try to intro another clown ( even if it's a smaller one). But we will wait a little while more for the tank to be more stable before thinking of getting another clown. At the moment, we have only ketchup and 2 small hawawiian damsels ( we call them zip and zap!) in the tank and ROCKY our boxer shrimp besides 3 other kinds of soft corals. We are considering getting one cleaner shrimp too.

We do not have a chiller at the moment. Our tank temperature is between 27-28 degrees. Rather constant. The PH is always 8-8.1 and salinity is about 1.023 ( I hope I remenbered that right but it's in the "green" range on my hydrometer). So far we have done all the testing ( ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, calcium, KH etc) and everything seems to be in the acceptable ranges.

Ketchup is a greedy little fish.. he eats and POOPS allot! LOL!!!

cheers, Desi ( baby.. aka plankton?...)

If your LR matured with amount of 1kg/gallon, it should be OK to add another clownfish of the same type. Clownfish will fight at first but wont be any major damage. They just wanna show who is the boss. After the dominant had reached adulthood, it will chane to female and the rest will stay as males. A couple would be just nice because you will want to leave some place for other types of fish. Try maintain pH at 8.3 when lights are on. You can use those marine buffer to stable conditions. Dont feed too much as they always never satisfied. Damsel is more fierce than clownfish. After sometime, you will noticed. Many ppl will get rid of them after sometime.

About your anemone, the colour seems strage, as though as breeching. Its the transparency that shows breeching. Maintain feeding everyday and best get a medium flow and T5 or PL lights. Fluorescent lamp wont strive anemones. 27-28C is considered OK at margin level of the upper temprature. It seems that your house is quite cooling, without fan cooling the tank still can maintain below 28C.

• SRC Member

HAHah have no children or any other pets but just named them after observing them a while and the names just stuck.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers,

desi.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

Reeftask... Desi is my wife..

Zip and Zap is just our 2 yellowtail damselfish that zips around.. so just call that:P

Rocky is becos the shrimp is boxer shrimp la.. i very unimaginative 1... ketchup is becos the clownfish is tomato clownfish lor!

So if we add another tomato clownfish, prob will name it HEINZ or SINSIN!

:P

• SRC Member
Reeftask... Desi is my wife..

Zip and Zap is just our 2 yellowtail damselfish that zips around.. so just call that:P

Rocky is becos the shrimp is boxer shrimp la.. i very unimaginative 1... ketchup is becos the clownfish is tomato clownfish lor!

So if we add another tomato clownfish, prob will name it HEINZ or SINSIN!

:P

Yeah, I know desi is your wife. You are the ketchup for her. Why didnt her nick is chilli sauce? You can think of her whenever you add chilli sauce, LOL.

The tomato clown, named ketchup is just nice.

ZIP and ZAP, why not vroom, voot. LOL.