425 members have voted

1. 1. Which method works for you?

• Hypo
    • Reef Safe medication
    • Copper based medication
    • Fresh water dip
    • Others
    • Let them fight it out...

OK haven't looked at this thread for a while. As I said earlier, removing the fish and doing bucket/tank transfer with main tank fallow period (some say for as long as six weeks) is the only 100% guarantee. Long? Hard work? Yes yes. Again, only 100% proven method unless you are getting 100% accurate copper testing kit.

Hypo needs to be no greater than 1.009 sg (Sengreef is the only correct one here). Go lower to 1.007 sg if the fish can tolerate. There are some reports that the fish will suffer long term metabolic damage but then again, any treatment plan will be stressful. There are a wide variance among sources on how long the hypo should last. Again, your greatest tool against ich is knowledge of the life cycle. Some cysts (that have fallen off the fish) do not erupt into daughter swimmers for up to a month and a half, with the longest reported to be 72 days. Due to the variance and long length, this is why I recommend tank transfer rather than *hope* all of the cysts have erupted before you go back to normal salinity. Also was mentioned the pH drop

@Arodan sg too low! As stated above, tank transfer with extended fallow period is best method. If you're not going to do a proper procedure, might as well do NOTHING and hope your fish naturally resist the ich. It's probably too late, but no you should not wc. The fish are already stressed due to a prolonged period of low salt exposure.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi bros, just discovered that my two tangs have ich and I'm having problems catching them out to treat in my qt, as they are very quick to hide in the live rock (I have inverts and coral so definitely need to catch out to treat). Anyone has any tips on how to make catching them out easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee's Aquarium

Dimensions:

L 180cm x H 60cm x W 50cm (approx. 540L)

Other Specifications:

MAXSPECT Razor 300W 16K

EHEIM 1264 return pump

VERTEX Omega 150 skimmer

JEBAO WP40 wavemaker x2

HAILEA 1/4HP chiller

D-D H2Ocean FR (Rowaphos + Biopellets)

• SRC Member

Hi bros, just discovered that my two tangs have ich and I'm having problems catching them out to treat in my qt, as they are very quick to hide in the live rock (I have inverts and coral so definitely need to catch out to treat). Anyone has any tips on how to make catching them out easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are your Tangs greedy eaters? I have trapped all the fishes I wanted to catch with the Fish Trap carried by Gemsurfs

So far i find Tangs easiest to trap by just clipping a piece of seaweed at the top hole, lift up one of the trap door with one hand, and release the door when the Tang swim inside to eat the nori..

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a liquid form... They are dashing for the food... Bought from madzpet

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Tank setup

4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (3 way viewing)

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao dosing pump (Fauna Marine Lite balling - Thinking)

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

Upgrading in Process.....

More infomation coming soon!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

How many tang is advise in 4 feet by 2 feet tank

Very subjective..depend on what tang?, what size?, big liao sell away?, how congested in a tank look u want?, etc.. Just note that tang do grow fast n eat a lot n poo a lot, so wc often is needed.. Tang is also quite aggressive to tang, so to introduce all at the same time for same shape tang is recommended..cheers

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• 1 month later...

Have tired many methods and by far..

The safest way is feeding it well and good water parameters.

All the other treatments like copper and hypo stresses the fish, by catch it already lost half its life..

Anti-Parasitic & Anti-Bacterial Caviar by Dr G's

Is a good mix when feeding before any signs of parasite outbreaks.. When you QT your fish, it's best you train it on Caviar first before releasing it to main tank..

The worst cases of Parasite infection when your fishes lose control of swimming and your wavemaker is push it around.. It's time to say your prayers.. It's often tough, as its gills and fins are already too badly damage to savage it..

So prevention is better then cure..

Happy reefing..

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain...

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

many different schools of thought here by the experts!

I have a FOWLR setup on a 5x2.5x2.5ft tank - it is virtually impossible to net fish out. would hypo then be the wisest choice with controlled feeding of Dr G's? [ tank occupants --> large angels / dwarf angels / tangs ] [ without upsetting the biological filtration part ]

thanks in advance!

-Main Display Tank : 5ftx2.5ftx2.5ft [ 12mm throughout with euro bracing ]
-Light : Maxspect Glaive [ 2 sets of 2.5 ft ]
-Pump : Eheim 1262 and Eheim 1264
-Skimmer : Deltec SC2060 / Bubble Magus Curve 7

-Wavemaker: Jebao WP40 & WP60

• SRC Member

many different schools of thought here by the experts!

I have a FOWLR setup on a 5x2.5x2.5ft tank - it is virtually impossible to net fish out. would hypo then be the wisest choice with controlled feeding of Dr G's? [ tank occupants --> large angels / dwarf angels / tangs ] [ without upsetting the biological filtration part ]

thanks in advance!

i feel copper would be an easier option

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

New reefer here.. well sort of new. I've got a Fluval 13.5 that is thriving with corals but the white ich is a MASSIVE issue for me. Have unfortunately gone through 8 clowfishes at different times. Not keen to dose copper or anything that will risk nuking the tank. I've gone fish-less for almost 1 mth now cuz read online that it'll let the white ich die. Do you think that's enough?

• SRC Member
New reefer here.. well sort of new. I've got a Fluval 13.5 that is thriving with corals but the white ich is a MASSIVE issue for me. Have unfortunately gone through 8 clowfishes at different times. Not keen to dose copper or anything that will risk nuking the tank. I've gone fish-less for almost 1 mth now cuz read online that it'll let the white ich die. Do you think that's enough?

For smaller tanks, dosing polyplab medic(hydrogen peroxide) according to the instructions will help with managing ich. it won’t eradicate the parasite or ‘cure’ your fish but it’ll keep the parasite population down. Feeding your fish well, keeping their stress down(by not introducing too many at once, or too many fish for tank size for e.g) and boosting their immune system with the right foods will also help them fight parasites and diseases better.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...